Help me out if you can..

D

Diamond

Before I go on, I'd like to say hi to you all..It's been a while. Now, for my favor...

I am taking Psychology 343 and I have to get 10 males, and 10 females to give their input on this question, so if you don't mind the question, feel free to answer it. I appreciate any remarks.

Question: WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE TO BE THE BARRIERS TO CAUSE COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN IN A RELATIONSHIP?

In simplier terms-->What do you think causes people to not communicate properly in relationships?

Include your GENDER/ age range (18-25/ 26-40/ 40-55/ ETC.)/ and RACE.

Once again, thanks SWACPAGE for your help.

Love,
D

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
JMO

I think it's simply because people are afraid...I think we tend not to say something for fear of what the other person may think or what they may do.

Personally, I don't use this method. I like to talk about any and everything. Let's get it all out of our systems now so that we may move on.

(Oh, and I'm an African American Female in the age category of 26 to 40.)

If you feel comfortable enough, go ahead and write it on here. Thanks Nita.

THere are quite a few reasons....

Like Dtown said, fear can be a reason
fear of sounding stupid
fear of being rejected
fear of coming on too strong

There is also:

Lack of trust.

Some people don't communicate in the relationship because they don't know how to.

Some people don't because "they didn't have to in their LAST relationship"

Some people feel that you should be able to SEE how they are feeling...therefore, they never come out and say it.

I hope those little tidbits help you out.:)

*why am I still here...*

Now Ntelekt,

what age category are you in? what's your race and gender? did you not read the directions?...LOL:D

Hey, don't forget age range, race, and gender, because I don't know a lot of you all..I kinda been MIA, and haven't had time to keep up.

Oops....

My bad....I'm hungry and tired! :( :D

African American Male
26-40 (dang, that's a large range.....)

Originally posted by Diamond
Before I go on, I'd like to say hi to you all..It's been a while. Now, for my favor...

I am taking Psychology 343 and I have to get 10 males, and 10 females to give their input on this question, so if you don't mind the question, feel free to answer it. I appreciate any remarks.

Question: WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE TO BE THE BARRIERS TO CAUSE COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN IN A RELATIONSHIP?

In simplier terms-->What do you think causes people to not communicate properly in relationships?

Include your GENDER/ age range (18-25/ 26-40/ 40-55/ ETC.)/ and RACE.

Once again, thanks SWACPAGE for your help.

Love,

D

RACE: AFRICAN AMERICAN

Lack of communication often stems from disparity in educational levels. I've had several female co-workers and associates who informed me that their spouse/lover did not communicate with them unless it was "pillow" talk. Each of them felt that the spouse/lover felt uneasy discussing other topics...especially when the females opinion differed from the spouses. Some responses were along the line of "well I don't know as much as you cuz I didn't go to college"!

Black Male

26-40 range

1. Assumptions. We assume a lot of things without expressing ourselves. While one party is thinking this, the other one is thinking that. Before you know it, you got issues and problems.

2. Fear. Already discussed

3. Poor communication skills. Some people just do not know how to express themselves. May be due to fear.

4. Attitudes. We can get upset and won't talk to each other. Give half answers.

Black Male

26-40 age group (Not too far from 26 years of age) ;)

Basically my views are similar to Robber's and Ntelekt's. I would add the term superiority and/or inferiority complexes. One person has to be "better" and more intelligent than the other.

RACE: Negro

Personally, I think that people don't communicate what they are feeling because we so often dismiss the feelings of others as trivial.

If a person is under the impression that a person doesn't think what he/she has to say is important, he/she won't be saying anything to them about what is important to him/her. He/She'll find someone else to share his/her feelings with ... someone who would at least pretend that what he/she is saying is important ...

And that opens up a WHOLE 'nother can of worms!
;)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Back