HDTV Programming News

cat daddy

NBCU, Turner, CNN to Launch HD Networks
By James Hibberd

USA Network, Sci Fi Channel, TBS, Cartoon Network, CNN and other channels are readying to launch simulcast high-definition networks by the end of the year.

CNN announced plans to launch an HD network in September at its opening session at the Television Critics Association's semiannual press tour, while an NBC Universal spokesperson confirmed the company will launch a "suite of HD networks." NBCU would not set an exact time table. A Turner spokesperson also confirmed HD networks for TBS and Cartoon Network.

The news comes a day after DirecTV's announcement at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas that it has HD carriage agreements with 60 cable networks. DirecTV cited USA, Sci Fi, FX, CNN, Cartoon Network, TBS and several other channels among the brands with agreements. The satellite provider plans to launch 100 HD channels by the end of the year as part of its strategy to expand its HD offerings.

Though all major cable networks are eventually expected to have HD simulcasts, none of the networks DirecTV cited had previously announced plans to launch HD networks.

CNN announced its plans Tuesday morning at its panel. Spokespeople for NBC Universal and Turner confirmed plans to launch their HD networks shortly after. A spokesman for Fox Cable Networks Group representing FX had not yet returned a call.

The confirmations represent the largest number of networks to commit to HD upgrades all at once. DirecTV's launching of two new satellites in 2007, combined with the satellite service's push for more HD content, has been a tipping point for a host of major networks previously biding their time before taking the plunge to HD.

The moves will dramatically expand the number of HD viewing options for consumers, who have long griped about the scarcity of HD content.

Source

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
DirecTV Launches Vid Gamers League, More HD

In HDTV programming news, DirecTV CEO Chase Carey said the satellite TV provider will place major emphasis on ramping up its HDTV content this year. Plans include about national high-def cable channels from 70 major networks, including A&E, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CNN, Food Network, FX, HGTV, MTV, National Geographic, NFL Network, Sci-Fi Channel, Speed, TBS, The History Channel, The Weather Channel and USA Network.

DirecTV said it will also add regional HD sports network from around the country including YES Network, Comcast Sports Net, New England Sports Network and Fox Sports.

Direct will also offer ?an expanded line-up of HD programming from all premium movie channels,? the company said.

The expansion will be contingent on the planned launch of the DirecTV 10 and 11 satellites in 2007, which will deliver the ability to add more than 1,500 local HD and digital channels and 150 national HD cahnnels, in addition to new advanced programming services for customers, DirecTV said.

DirecTV said it currently offers local standard definition channels in 142 markets, cover 94 percent of households, and local HD channels in 49 cities, covering over 65 percent of U.S., TV households.

http://www.twice.com/article/CA6405715.html

I am just looking forward to the non movie channels going to HD.

Sci-Fi going HD will help the B movies that they show.

The thing that I found interesting was that Spice said they broadcast in HD but I could not find a provider offering them in HD.

I just can't pay for the limited number of HD Channels.

I am still OTA (over the air - rabbit ears).

With the launch of the new birds this summer/fall. I may be willing to pay for the new channels if there are enough of them.

TBS to Go High Def in September
Anthony Crupi

JUNE 26, 2007 -

Turner on Tuesday announced that it will launch a high-definition simulcast of TBS on Sept. 1.

TBS original series like My Boys and The Bill Engvall Show are already shot in high-def; older acquisitions (Seinfeld, Friends, etc.) will be upconverted to the 1080i HD format.

?With the launch of TBS in HD, we will bring an outstanding line-up of comedy programming to our viewers in a video format that is on the fast track to becoming the industry and consumer standard,? said Steve Koonin, president of Turner Entertainment Networks. ?We are extremely proud to bring TBS to the HD world.?

Once the feed goes live, all TBS fare??including its coverage of Major League Baseball?s Division Series Playoffs and the National League Championship Series??will be available in high-def. To maintain consistency and avoid the diminished visual experience of pillaring, all commercials on TBS in HD will be presented in the superior format.

Source

Home Box Office to Make All 26 of Its Channels Available in High Definition
June 12, 2007

Home Box Office has committed to making all 26 feeds of its HBO and Cinemax multiplex channels available in high-definition announced Bill Nelson, chairman & CEO, HBO. The rollout will begin later this year, with anticipated completion by the end of second quarter 2008.

"We have a long history of firsts in technology - satellite, multiplex and SVOD. Such a commitment reinforces our tradition of giving our customers the best programming when they want it and how they want it" said Nelson. "This move further solidifies HBO's leadership in the premium category."

Home Box Office was the first national cable network to offer HD feeds, with HBO HDTV launching in 1999 and Cinemax HDTV in 2003.

The network's all-digital multiplex packages, which showcase HBO's award-winning original series, films and documentaries and Cinemax's extensive movie library and blockbuster hits include:

HBO Branded Channels/Feeds:
HBO (East/West)
HBO2 (East/West)
HBO Signature (East/West)
HBO Comedy (East/West)
HBO Family (East/West)
HBO Zone (East/West)
HBO Latino (East/West)

Cinemax Branded Channels/Feeds:
Cinemax (East/West)
MoreMAX (East/West)
ActionMAX (East/West)
ThrillerMAX (East/West)
WMAX (East)
@MAX (East)
5StarMAX (East)
OuterMAX (East)

Source

Cox Targets 50 HD Channels by Year-End
Cable Operator Readying Campaign to Take On DirecTV
By Todd Spangler -- Multichannel News, 6/20/2007 11:26:00 AM

Orlando, Fla. -- Cox Communications president Pat Esser said the operator is aiming to have the capacity to offer 50 HD channels across its systems by the end of 2007, and it hopes to double that to 100 by the end of 2009.

?We?re seeing an explosion in interest [from subscribers], and I think we have to get ready for that,? Esser said, speaking on a CEO roundtable here at the Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers? Cable-Tec Expo 2007.

Esser said Cox recently revised its goals for the number of HD channels it would be able to deliver. The operator will get there using a combination of bandwidth-optimization tools and techniques, including system upgrades, retiring analog channels, statistical multiplexing of HD signals and switched digital video, he said.

?I?ve asked Chris [Bowick, chief technology officer of Cox] and his team to find the capacity to offer 50 HD channels by the end of this year, going into 2008,? Esser said. ?Whether we do or don?t offer that many channels, I want to have the capacity to do that.?

What Esser didn?t say explicitly is that Cox -- along with the rest of the cable industry -- is looking to blunt the effect of DirecTV?s HD hypermarketing push. Backed by aggressive TV spots, the direct-broadcast operator is promising ?a future of 150 HD channels.?

According to Esser, Cox will soon launch a Pepsi Challenge-style marketing campaign that will compare the quality of Cox?s HD picture against satellite. ?The industry just did a taste test ? [and] consumers thought our product was better,? said Esser, who declined to provide further details.

Comcast last month kicked off a similar campaign, citing a survey that found that two-thirds of consumers preferred Comcast?s HDTV to satellite. DirecTV promptly sued Comcast, alleging false advertising and deceptive trade practices.

Full Story

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The Fall is 1 week away.

Where in the L are my new HDTV channels.

I watch CNN every day and they haven't mentioned one word about going HD.

From my experience Direct TV goes out whenever it rains...

I've only experienced that a few times in the year I've had DirecTV. Those were in very severe thunderstorms. On days when we've experienced all day rain at a steady pace, I had no problems with my service.

The biggest compaint I've heard about Direct TV in Baton Rouge is getting reception in many of the older neigbhorhoods is very difficult. With all of the old trees, it can be a problem getting a strong signal. A guy with is building a house in a neighborhood with a lot of trees and he has been told by his new neighbors that they have had to get cable because of the trees.

CNN HD Primed for Launch

HD simulcast backed by new master control, production gear and cameras
By Glen Dickson -- Broadcasting & Cable, 9/3/2007

Global news giant CNN is ready to launch a full-time high-definition service, CNN HD, that will initially be carried by satellite service DirecTV and likely find additional carriage with major cable operators.

CNN HD was slated to begin operations Saturday, Sept. 1, though consumers may not see it for a few weeks. DirecTV won?t be ready to carry new HD networks such as CNN HD until its DirecTV 10 satellite becomes fully functional in mid-September. At press time, no other cable or satellite operators have yet committed to carry CNN HD, though CNN says additional carriage deals will be announced over the next few months.

While CNN is the first cable news network to launch an all-HD channel, it follows more than a dozen other networks, including the broadcast networks, HBO, Discovery and others. The new service will be a high-definition simulcast of the main CNN network. CNN will be producing its video in widescreen (16:9 aspect ratio) high-definition wherever possible, and deriving a 4:3 version from that feed to serve standard-def viewers. That single-production, dual-output technique has become standard among major networks for cost-effectively producing live sports and news programming.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6474130.html

If CNN doesn't give the field ops HD cameras then it really isn't going to make a damn-n difference what they do.

What is the latest with the cable stations going HD?

The Dallas big 3 locals have gone HD: ABC, NBC and CBS.

ABC - 100% HD, including field cameras.

CBS - HD in studio, field camera feed is upconverted to widescreen.

NBC - HD in studio only. field camera feed is still standard 480i.

For those with Directv. I'm sure many of the cable companies will pick up some of these networks.

DIRECTV Launches 21 HD Channels
The satcaster finally kicks off its high-def expansion.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (September 26, 2007) -- DIRECTV this morning at 6 a.m. ET launched 21 new High-Definition channels, including CNN HD and TBS HD.

The launch is the beginning of DIRECTV's plan to offer 100 high-def channels by year's end. With today's addition, the satcaster now has 31 national HD channels.

DIRECTV says it will have 70 HD channels in October.

Clink here for the list of channels

Back