HDTV: 720p vs. 1080p

Hey guys what I found that is important to look at is contrast ratio on the LCD TVs. For example most TVs you see in Walmart, etc, and brands like VIZO and Westinghouse have a low contrast ratio such as 1000:1 or 2000:1 or lower. I bought a samsung 42 inch 5 mo ago and the ratio was 8000:1 and the pic quality is better than the lower ratios one. Yeah I paid more but I can tell the difference. The higher the contrast ratio the better the pic and higher the price. Jsut go to best buy and compare this. You get what you pay for.

I also use the HDMI cable to and get the highest pic and sound quality avaliable in one cord. I also have a 57 inch hitachi rear projection that I have had for 5 years and use the HDMI cable and the pic is just as good as the 42 inch LCD. Although I am sure that the ratio is not as good as the samsung but the cable makes the difference in Hi Def. My boy has one of those lcd's he bought for cheap and it doesn't have the hdmi hookup so he cannot even get the higher signal quality.

This is a great forum and I appreciate the advise guys. I JUST made the entire house switch over to this "technology" that I REALLY wanted to stay away from but the lowered prices recently got me. :tup:

Does the hdmi chord really make a difference in the picture and sound quality? When you use it, do you still need the five plug a/v chord?

Just be sure to note that contrast ratios are not standard from brand to brand. They are close though. I saw a Samsung with 20,000:1 ratio and it was amazing. The others still looked good too, though.

I read the article but it didn't address game systems (I know I didn't mention that earlier). Is there a difference in using a hdmi cable on xbox 360 rather than component cables?

Hey guys what I found that is important to look at is contrast ratio on the LCD TVs. For example most TVs you see in Walmart, etc, and brands like VIZO and Westinghouse have a low contrast ratio such as 1000:1 or 2000:1 or lower. I bought a samsung 42 inch 5 mo ago and the ratio was 8000:1 and the pic quality is better than the lower ratios one. Yeah I paid more but I can tell the difference. The higher the contrast ratio the better the pic and higher the price. Jsut go to best buy and compare this. You get what you pay for.

Just when I think I got this stuff figured out about the 720p/1080i/1080p and now I got to go back and check the ratios......

Dam

Just when I think I got this stuff figured out about the 720p/1080i/1080p and now I got to go back and check the ratios......

Dam

I may not be the most technological person but just go to Best Buy and compare them side by side and you will see the difference. You know how you buy a TV and the pic looks different at home than in the store. Well in my cases the pic looked the same (without closing the blinds, moving the tv to another place, or cutting off the lights):lmao:

720p vs. 1080p HDTV: The final word

A couple of years ago, I wrote a column about HDTV resolution and whether you should just buy a "standard" 720p/1080i set or pay the extra bucks for a higher-resolution 1080p set. It was called 1080i vs. 1080p HDTV: Should you care?

When I write a column, it usually gets a nice little shot of promotion on the CNET home page, a bunch of people read it, then it finds its resting place in the Fully Equipped archive, where it gets a wee bit of traffic, typically less than a 100 hits a day. The exception is when I happen to come up with a title for a column that jives well with what people are searching for on Google--and it helps when the column appears at the top of a Google search results list. For example, that old "1080i vs. 1080p" column averages about 4,000 hits a day. Not bad for a two-year-old story that's just lying around. The only downside is when that many people are reading a dated article, it tends to make them e-mail you, requesting that you update it. And so I have, with a little twist: Instead of calling the piece "1080i vs. 1080p" again, I'm going with 720p vs. 1080p because that's the how TV manufacturers tend to market their HDTVs these days to delineate between basic HDTVs (720p) and higher-end models (1080p).

I may not be the most technological person but just go to Best Buy and compare them side by side and you will see the difference. You know how you buy a TV and the pic looks different at home than in the store. Well in my cases the pic looked the same (without closing the blinds, moving the tv to another place, or cutting off the lights):lmao:

I did a lot of research and took what people were saying here and went to different stores and look at a lot of models. I endede up getting a 42 inch 1080p Phillips, it looks great in the living room. I just used a HDMI connection from my cable box and set it to automatic. The picture is awesome and I can't wait to see a baseball game on it. I watch some football games today and have watched some other HD channels. I'm ready to get one for the bedroom because I may end up living on this couch all day and all night.

I did a lot of research and took what people were saying here and went to different stores and look at a lot of models. I endede up getting a 42 inch 1080p Phillips, it looks great in the living room. I just used a HDMI connection from my cable box and set it to automatic. The picture is awesome and I can't wait to see a baseball game on it. I watch some football games today and have watched some other HD channels. I'm ready to get one for the bedroom because I may end up living on this couch all day and all night.

I've been doing that for the past 4 months :lol:

HD Rookie. :lol:

Seriously, you got your tv at a great time. Tons of Football on in HD. I'd suggest between the games, tune in to HD Theatre. They will have a series on this week called Discovery Atlas HD. Some of the best footage ever shot in HD. Another great series on the Discovery Channel HD is Planet Earth.

I watched part of that HD Theatre tonight..........

Although I have to call Comcast again tomorrow since some of my HD channels started telling me my box wasn't authorize.

Went to their offices yesterday to trade out my regular box for the HD box and a lot of people are buying new TV's because that office was packed with folks. I asked the lady was my box gonna work when I got it home and she assured me it would. After I got it connected up, it worked for about 10 minutes then it popped up and it was not authorized and to call customer service. It took me over 30 minutes on hold to actually talk to someone and get it done. I thought I was good to go today after I changed TV's and hooked up my HDTV and was getting the channels I was watching until I tried to watch ESPN-HD & TBS-HD this evening and got that authorize message again.

I'll be calling them first thing in the morning to get that fixed.

Although I have to call Comcast again tomorrow since some of my HD channels started telling me my box wasn't authorize.

Now I called them and they tried to get the box to work but couldn't and they are sending out a technician tomorrow. It was nice watching that Heat-Cavs game in HD though.......

The Tech got to the house and couldn't get the box to work either and he then went and got another box out of his truck. He tells me that they have been having some problems with these new boxes and he only had the previous box that didn't have a HDMI slot. I wasn't too happy about that since I knew that to get the highest connection I needed the HDMI cable. After he hooked that box up, it started to rebooting itself over and over. He then goes back out to his truck and gets another box and that one would not power up. He makes a call and then come back with another box but this one is different, it's a HD-DVR box. He tells me about the box and he even said this box could use the HDMI cable. I liked that when he told me that and he connecgts it up and everything works great. He tells me that I do have a DVR box and he didn't put that in his report so I won't be charged for DVR service. So after its all said and done, I got HD service along with FREE DVR service.

I went from :( to :flippy:

Yeah Buddy!!!

Its an issue with Comcast - they only give you HDMI to HDMI if you get their DVR box. I have a complaint, because close captioning does does not work with their DVI to HDMI connection. I am fighting other battles with them right now, so that will be next.

I watched part of that HD Theatre tonight..........

Went to their offices yesterday to trade out my regular box for the HD box and a lot of people are buying new TV's because that office was packed with folks. I asked the lady was my box gonna work when I got it home and she assured me it would. After I got it connected up, it worked for about 10 minutes then it popped up and it was not authorized and to call customer service. It took me over 30 minutes on hold to actually talk to someone and get it done. I thought I was good to go today after I changed TV's and hooked up my HDTV and was getting the channels I was watching until I tried to watch ESPN-HD & TBS-HD this evening and got that authorize message again.

ATT Uverse...

I'm in the market for a TV and I've been doing a lot of research. Have you guys been to Best Buy or Circuit City lately to see the newer LCD's and Plasmas? Besides distinquishing between 720, 1080i, and 1080p, now you have 60mhz and 120 mhz to consider. Of course it's a personal choice, but a broadcast in 120mhz is really nice... The most realistic picture I have seen.

If you get a chance, check it out.

I'm in the market for a TV and I've been doing a lot of research. Have you guys been to Best Buy or Circuit City lately to see the newer LCD's and Plasmas? Besides distinquishing between 720, 1080i, and 1080p, now you have 60mhz and 120 mhz to consider. Of course it's a personal choice, but a broadcast in 120mhz is really nice... The most realistic picture I have seen.

If you get a chance, check it out.

The refreash rate come in to play only if you just want a LCD TV

If you had a choice of replacing a 50 inch DLP Samsung television because it will cost $1400.00 plus to repair,would you replace it with another 50 inch Samsung DLP or a 50 inch LCD Samsung or a 50 inch Samsung plasma? I'm thinking about upgrading and going for the 58 inch Samsung plasma,which one sells for $4599.98 and another sells for $3999.99,or the 63 inch Samsung Plasma which sells for $5999.98.
I would get a store credit for the $1400.00 and then make payments until which ever set I decide on is paid off.Or I can go with the 50 inch Samsung plasma,which sells for $2699.99 or for $3299.99 or for $1799.99.
Also,what causes the differences in the prices for the same size and model of television is whether it's 720p or 1080p.Which one should I go for,guys? 720p vs 1080p,which one?
If I stay basically with the same television,I can get a new DLP or LCD for in that $1400.00 range.I know what my wife is gonna say already but I'm trying to sell her on plasma so there won't be any difference with the viewing angle.She likes to curl up in the love seat recliner,which sets off to one side.I'll try that argument.

This message has been edited. Last edited

If you had a choice of replacing a 50 inch DLP Samsung television because it will cost $1400.00 plus to repair,would you replace it with another 50 inch Samsung DLP or a 50 inch LCD Samsung or a 50 inch Samsung plasma? I'm thinking about upgrading and going for the 58 inch Samsung plasma,which one sells for $4599.98 and another sells for $3999.99,or the 63 inch Samsung Plasma which sells for $5999.98.
I would get a store credit for the $1400.00 and then make payments until which ever set I decide on is paid off.Or I can go with the 50 inch Samsung plasma,which sells for $2699.99 or for $3299.99 or for $1799.99.
Also,what causes the differences in the prices for the same size and model of television is whether it's 720p or 1080p.Which one should I go for,guys? 720p vs 1080p,which one?
If I stay basically with the same television,I can get a new DLP or LCD for in that $1400.00 range.I know what my wife is gonna say already but I'm trying to sell her on plasma so there won't be any difference with the viewing angle.She likes to curl up in the love seat recliner,which sets off to one side.I'll try that argument.

This message has been edited. Last edited

Well personally, I think 1080p is the biggest hype since the Y2K bug. I have a 1080p set for about 4 months and have yet to watch anything in 1080p. I have a HD DVD and the only reason I got it because it came with the surround sound system and it is only 720p. I have only viewed one true HD movie (Transformers), I watch most of my movie through pay-per-view, Dish networks and OTAs are only 720p or 1080i. I know blu-ray is 1080p, but the only way I get a blu-ray player if I get a PS3 because stand alone player are not a great value to me. The price would have to drop so far that I could possible end up with a blu-ray player free with a purchase of a TV something like that. In my opinion 1080p is just for bragging rights and 720p would be fine for me. My next HD will probably be a 720p.

I was in Sams yesterday and I am convinced Sony is ripping people off. They had a $3000 Sony 50/52" 1080P LCD next to a $900 Vizio 37" 720P LCD (1000:1 and a $1400 Magnavox 720P 47" LCD and the cheaper TVs looked 100x better and clearer. The Sony had very noticeably blurry edges within the picture compared to the other two.

I am house shopping so I started looking for the most important things that go with houses...the inside.

I was looking at HDTV's and thought the 73 inch DLP would be perfect.

This soon changed after the realization that the tv catching my eye is a projection tv and has a sweet spot. Yes, its big but the sweet spot isn't my cup of tea.

I began looking at the plasma.

Does anyone has one?

Was the life span of a plasma?

Back