uapb............449...........10,192...................10,507
ms.valley......420............9,772....................11,212
prairie view...420............8,586 ...................13,861
savannah......420............8,398....................10,307

michigan-football.com

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Tigerpride said:
Did you read the title??
No I didn't, just looked at the Thread Title HBCU winning percentages and overlooked the title posted within (current 1-AA teams)....,

anyways.......,

Out of every 10 games, we average seven wins over a 50 year period. We are Grambling -- that shinin' star of BCF!

The top five from each conference could merge and have a nice super conference. West (4SWAC + TNSU) East top 5 MEAC. That would be marketalbe. We play them in classics anyway. That could be a extra 10k in attendance per game.

I would hate to leave the SWAC because of the heritage and years but I know that a new powerhouse conference regardless of classification would be awesome. Here is a look at my dream conference:

1)Southern U.
2)Florida A&M
3)Jackson State
4)Grambling State
5)Tennessee State
6)North Carolina A&T
7)Alabama State
8)South Caroline State

To begin with no divisional format. After 5 years conference membership may want to entertain expansion.

Each School would be able to schedule 4 out of conference games per year.

Conference Name: Gulf South Atlantic Conference

JROCK said:
I would hate to leave the SWAC because of the heritage and years but I know that a new powerhouse conference regardless of classification would be awesome. Here is a look at my dream conference:

1)Southern U.
2)Florida A&M
3)Jackson State
4)Grambling State
5)Tennessee State
6)North Carolina A&T
7)Alabama State
8)South Caroline State

To begin with no divisional format. After 5 years conference membership may want to entertain expansion.

Each School would be able to schedule 4 out of conference games per year.

Conference Name: Gulf South Atlantic Conference

As if AAMU didn't make the top ten teams in BCF. The more things are posted the more you learn about AAMU. Think about program support.

JROCK said:
1)Southern U.
2)Florida A&M
3)Jackson State
4)Grambling State
5)Tennessee State
6)North Carolina A&T
7)Alabama State
8)South Caroline State

I keep tellin you that if this happens, only 1 or 2 teams would remain powerhouses and teams outside these eight would become new powerhouses.

Da_Sperm said:
I keep tellin you that if this happens, only 1 or 2 teams would remain powerhouses and teams outside these eight would become new powerhouses.

Sperm, that is not true. You can be a powerhouse and not always win. TNState spent years as a loser. JSU has not won a SWAC title for 7 years. Alcorn has not won the SWAC in 10 years. However, Alcorn still gets way more classic invites than many more successful programs in the MEAC and SWAC. Also, if those 8 schools marketed themselves like I am sure they would, they could dominate 1-AA football and increase revenue. All a team needs is a chance. In the SWAC, you have 10 teams and every year, there is a different top 5. Being in a conference like that would only make the best get better.

Tigerpride said:
Sperm, that is not true. You can be a powerhouse and not always win. TNState spent years as a loser. JSU has not won a SWAC title for 7 years. Alcorn has not won the SWAC in 10 years. However, Alcorn still gets way more classic invites than many more successful programs in the MEAC and SWAC. Also, if those 8 schools marketed themselves like I am sure they would, they could dominate 1-AA football and increase revenue. All a team needs is a chance. In the SWAC, you have 10 teams and every year, there is a different top 5. Being in a conference like that would only make the best get better.

...and those new powerhouses could line up a take a whooping from the 6th placed team in that new conference. Sperm, I keep trying to tell people that the name of the game is name recognition. Tuskegee has been winning now for 5 years or more but if they came to Alcorn it would be no big deal. Who would care? The elite is BCF is defined (and although I don't agree with the list posted in totality) and those schools need to get together.

You can also equate that to the top PWC's....FSU has won like 10 out of the last 11 or 12 ACC titles but that does not make UNC, GaTech, or Maryland any less of a powerhouse. To a much lesser extent, we need the elite schools to join together to help each other and BCF out rather than being held back. Take GaTech for example. We can beat FSU to save our lives but we were the brainchild and thrust behind VaTech and Miami coming into the ACC. It will only add credibility to the football program by being more visible and playing top opponents that can pack the stands.

Da_Sperm said:

You act as if you don't live in Big 12 country.

Oklahoma
Texas
Oklahoma State
Nebraska
Colorado
Kansas State

...all are still powerhouses while beating up on each other. Plus there's Tech, A&M and Mizzou knockin at their doors.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
northern tiger said:
The only issue I see is the travel, outside, I think it could work.

I THINK that if we remained 1-AA that classics would pay out of the wazoo to get some of the potential matchups and defray travel cost. If these teams moved to 1-A, sponsorships and a better TV contract would help a lot.

MightyDog said:
As if AAMU didn't make the top ten teams in BCF. The more things are posted the more you learn about AAMU. Think about program support.

MD,

I laughed when viewing your post. Just remember it is only MY dream conference. I think AAMU was an excellent addition to the SWAC and has a nice athletic program.

The reason why I did not include AAMU is because of their low fan base in football. I also felt that Alcorn, AAMU and to a lesser degree BCC or Hampton would have been top tiers to consider for expansion if the "elite eight" decided to take that route. Please note I don't think that Hampton would pursue or accept an invitation due to the geographical area. I liked their financial solvency, endowments and ability to raise money more so than BCC and that is why I threw them in the fray.

JROCK, we cannot wait for fans to decide if they are going to support our programs. We also understand that Huntsville will not embrace our programs because of the many different personalities in this area. Therefore, we must continue to invest and put our athletes in positions to win games and championships. However, because folks in Huntsville have above average salaries they tend to travel to away games and perfer to tailgate instead of coming into the game. We are averaging more fans than when we were in the SIAC. But you know SWAC Fans take AAMU lightly and I honestly believe based on my close observation of SWAC officials we do not get the calls. In the future, I hope this will change. Two brothers should never call the same games. I know the officials have feelings but if they get upset with coaches they should get out of the business.

MD,

All SWAC schools play through poor officiating. You do not see the more established programs excessively complaining because we have acknowledged that is a fact of like in this conference. The quicker you assimilate with this philosophy the more successful your program will be.

One coment about AAMU football though. I have been watching SWAC football for 4 decades now. In that time frame, I have never seen a conference member put on a Bush League display like what AAMU did in Mumford last fall. The only other ball club I could think of that came remotely close was TNST (non-conference member) way "back in the day." The officials were just doing their jobs calling those elementary and stupid flagrant fouls. Another thing you all need to learn is this is not the SIAC. You cannot sell wolf tickets and expect to win. We have too many teams with great athletes and coaching and in the final analysis the winner will go to the team that has the horses and executes the best. I don't think anyone in this conference will ever sleep on AAMU again (maybe Gram but I doubt it). I know for sure that Jackson State will not (snicker). Don't take this post or dream conference personal like Nino in New Jack City states: "It's just business." (smile)

Back