HBCU Basketball Postseason (SWAC and MEAC)

Damn. What a second half breakdown by the SWAC regular season and tournament champion! We have to improve or tournament record and our history in these play in games! PV started out strong, but finished weak.

Anyway, good season PV. To start 1-11 and end up in the big dance is still a story.

PV, IMO, did the same thing in this game that they did in the TxSU game. They got a LOT less aggressive on offense with about 10-12 minutes left. They started running more half-court offense and holding the ball out near the division line until 10 or 12 left on the shot clock. They are at their best playing more "helter skelter".

PV, IMO, did the same thing in this game that they did in the TxSU game. They got a LOT less aggressive on offense with about 10-12 minutes left. They started running more half-court offense and holding the ball out near the division line until 10 or 12 left on the shot clock. They are at their best playing more "helter skelter".

PV’ defense against FDU was not as effective in the second half the way it was in the first floor. They gave up too many easy points in the paint, plus they were out rebounded in the second half.

Size and those two fdu giards were indeed a difference maker. Proud of our team for competing fully. I’m not concerned about the W or L but moreso what direction our program is heading and what type of future consistency can we build upon since we have momentum.

Go Panthers!!!

Reactions: J C
Size and those two fdu giards were indeed a difference maker. Proud of our team for competing fully. I’m not concerned about the W or L but moreso what direction our program is heading and what type of future consistency can we build upon since we have momentum.

Go Panthers!!!
I think Coach Smith waited just a tad bit too long to go to the press. He should have started much sooner in the 2nd half.

Man I remember that squad. I had no idea who Bridgeport was when they came out of nowhere and beat Sterling in the state championship game.

North tx doesn’t play when it comes to sports, brah. HS/JrHS athletics ntx > those levels in other parts of tx.

North tx doesn’t play when it comes to sports, brah. HS/JrHS athletics ntx > those levels in other parts of tx.
LOL I knew this was coming after yall lucked up and won more in basketball this year. But football.... all South or East of DFW except 5A.

PV’ defense against FDU was not as effective in the second half the way it was in the first floor. They gave up too many easy points in the paint, plus they were out rebounded in the second half.

PV's lack of size killed them. Couldn't really control to boards and protect the rim with Logic taking to the hole for FDU

Grambling’s guard is quick as hell. Edge’s counterpart had size & quickness. And Edge couldn’t spell the word miss. Pure shooter.

I’m curious to see how gonzaga defends their guards.

Grambling’s guard is quick as hell. Edge’s counterpart had size & quickness. And Edge couldn’t spell the word miss. Pure shooter.

I’m curious to see how gonzaga defends their guards.

Gonzaga's too big in the frontcourt. They'll have the advantage on the boards. Gonzaga's guards are bigger-than-you-think-type. Logic and Edge gonna have to work in man-to-man. Plus, that zone they threw on PV isn't going to work on Gonzaga with the bigs they have that can get in the middle and make them pay for that zone.

IMO, it was a result of their slowed down offense. Coming off of a made basket, they were able to play very aggressive defense as FDU was bringing the ball up the floor. FDU was not able to really get anything in transition. In the second half, once PV slowed down, they didn't get as many rhythm shots, and FDU was able to start scoring in transition. That's how TSU was able to erase that large deficit as well.

IMO, it was a result of their slowed down offense. Coming off of a made basket, they were able to play very aggressive defense as FDU was bringing the ball up the floor. FDU was not able to really get anything in transition. In the second half, once PV slowed down, they didn't get as many rhythm shots, and FDU was able to start scoring in transition. That's how TSU was able to erase that large deficit as well.
Greg Wise would agree... keep the pressure on. LOL

Good Job PV, you truly had the best men basketball team in the swac. Hopefully some of those players will be back. You lead the conference from start to finish and walked thru the tournament. Great season, Good coach, a lot to build on.

Texas Southern wins their 2nd round CIT game vs University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley 94-85. They move to the quarterfinals.

Another out of conference win. How are we winning with our normal five starts, one normal substitute (guard), three end of the bench players, and one kid that’s redshirting?

Back