HBCU Basketball: February 20-22

We win 2 of our next 4 or if we beat only Alcorn of those 4 the men will be regular season champs. We need to beat SU and Bama state (by more than 7) to win the regular season Womens championship.

Griffin rallies Texas Southern over Pine Bluff 54-52

PINE BLUFF, Ark. (AP) — Derrick Griffin had 18 points and 14 rebounds and scored six straight as Texas Southern rallied late to beat Arkansas-Pine Bluff 54-52 on Monday night.

David Blanks scored the game-winning points for the Tigers (14-12, 13-1 Southwestern Athletic Conference) on a jumper that capped the scoring with 20 seconds left.

http://collegebasketball.ap.org/article/griffin-rallies-texas-southern-over-pine-bluff-54-52

Griffin rallies Texas Southern over Pine Bluff 54-52

PINE BLUFF, Ark. (AP) — Derrick Griffin had 18 points and 14 rebounds and scored six straight as Texas Southern rallied late to beat Arkansas-Pine Bluff 54-52 on Monday night.

David Blanks scored the game-winning points for the Tigers (14-12, 13-1 Southwestern Athletic Conference) on a jumper that capped the scoring with 20 seconds left.

http://collegebasketball.ap.org/article/griffin-rallies-texas-southern-over-pine-bluff-54-52

There goes that damn Grown Ass Man again! Gonna look great in my signature.

PV - 63
MVSU - 61

Valley was up by 1 and fouled PV's shooter on a 3 point attempt with 0.6 seconds left. PV hit all three free throws to win by 2.

5th game we've lost in the last few seconds this year (Rorbert Morris, Air Force, Alcorn (twice), ASU).

I would feel good about drawing Alcorn in the SWAC tourney but not SU or TSU (size) but if it came down to the last few seconds I wouldn't feel great about it this year. Next year probably but this year eh...

Now that I think about it.... I can see the SWAC giving Men's POTY to someone else since Griff is only a freshman and either give him Newcomer or Freshman Of the Year.

Now that I think about it.... I can see the SWAC giving Men's POTY to someone else since Griff is only a freshman and either give him Newcomer or Freshman Of the Year.

Yea I think he will get newcomer of the year. For player of the year I can see Worsham, Thomas, Rodgers, or Tamarcio getting it from the winning teams and Tabb, Waters, and Romain getting it from the others (not sure if they only give it to winning programs).

I am in that mindset that if you are the best player on the best team then that's who should get the award. I wouldn't give Mike Davis coach of the year though.

I know Griffin is probably the best player but I would give Griffin Freshman of the Year. I would give Newcomer of the Year to a transfer who has been critical to their team's success. Player of the year would probably be Chris Thomas.

But there is room to narrow it down.

I am in that mindset that if you are the best player on the best team then that's who should get the award. I wouldn't give Mike Davis coach of the year though.

I know Griffin is probably the best player but I would give Griffin Freshman of the Year. I would give Newcomer of the Year to a transfer who has been critical to their team's success. Player of the year would probably be Chris Thomas.

We all know stranger things have happen.

Why not give Mike Davis Coach of the year?

I think he's just saying with Davis it was pretty much expected (doesn't mean he shouldn't win it though). A case can be made for Brent and definitely Alcorn's new coach, if they both finish strong, as both teams were predicted to finish 6th and 9th respectively.

You are right on.!

I can see the argument for someone other than Mike Davis getting COTY. It's easy to win with the best talent.

Montez Robinson turned Alcorn around in his first year and has them in 2nd place, with less talent than Texas Southern.

I can see the argument for someone other than Mike Davis getting COTY. It's easy to win with the best talent.

Montez Robinson turned Alcorn around in his first year and has them in 2nd place, with less talent than Texas Southern.
Can't punish a coach for having more talent than the rest of the conference. I think TSU lost quite a few seniors on their team last season also.

I think he's just saying with Davis it was pretty much expected (doesn't mean he shouldn't win it though). A case can be made for Brent and definitely Alcorn's new coach, if they both finish strong, as both teams were predicted to finish 6th and 9th respectively.
So, we penalize for doing a good job though it is expected? I get what you are saying but I am not in favor of penalizing a person for doing what some folk think is expected. Suppose the team had tanked then what?

So, we penalize for doing a good job though it is expected? I get what you are saying but I am not in favor of penalizing a person for doing what some folk think is expected. Suppose the team had tanked then what?

I don't think that is penalizing for doing a good job. Its just recognizing the outstanding job that another coach may have done by bringing his team essentially from Last to Second. Meaning significant improvement Whereas another coach is going from First to First.

I don't think that is penalizing for doing a good job. Its just recognizing the outstanding job that another coach may have done by bringing his team essentially from Last to Second. Meaning significant improvement Whereas another coach is going from First to First.
I think going from last to second is easier than maintaining the first place spot. Everybody and their grandmother is gunning for the fellow on top. The up and coming can slide by some folk.

What I do know is our women's coach Johnetta Hayes-Perry deserves COTY if she pulls out the championship:

Lost her top three scorers from the last two seasons (Diamonisha Sophus, Jazzmin Parker, Alexus Johnson) to injury or transfer
All three of her assistant coaches from 2014-2015 did not return

Not to mention she missed some of the beginning of the season (gave birth in October to her 2nd child)

What I do know is our women's coach Johnetta Hayes-Perry deserves COTY if she pulls out the championship:

Lost her top three scorers from the last two seasons (Diamonisha Sophus, Jazzmin Parker, Alexus Johnson) to injury or transfer
All three of her assistant coaches from 2014-2015 did not return

Not to mention she missed some of the beginning of the season (gave birth in October to her 2nd child)
Isn't the All SWAC Selections announced before the tournament starts? Pugh, JHP and Freda will be in the running.

Back