Has anyone ever heard of the Deacons for Defense?

Miami Jag

Mr. Brown Eyes
A black militia group (deacons in their church) that bared arms in order to protect there community against the KKK. This took place around the late 60's in Bogalusa (don't know if I spelled that right), Louisiana. I am from Louisiana and I didn't have a clue of their existence. The documentary and movie is a must see on Showtime. These dudes were serious! I guess that just goes to show you that there is still plenty of Black History out there to be learned.

Originally posted by Miami Jag
A black militia group (deacons in their church) that bared arms in order to protect there community against the KKK. This took place around the late 60's in Bogalusa (don't know if I spelled that right), Louisiana. I am from Louisiana and I didn't have a clue of their existence. The documentary and movie is a must see on Showtime. These dudes were serious! I guess that just goes to show you that there is still plenty of Black History out there to be learned.
Read about them in High School from a series of Black Encyclopedias put together by Lerone Bennet Jr. ............,

Miami Jag there is simply too much of our history (some real good stuff) that we don't know about. Its up to us to find out and tell to our children....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I heard a little about them from my father when I was young, but I've never seen anything in-depth about the group. So you're saying I need to order (or find someone who already has) Showtime, huh?

Sweet,

They actually started in Jonesboro, LA. However, this show is about the DFD in Bogalusa, LA. I lived there during the summers when I was a child. The town, while it has made many a strides, is still segregated by neighborhoods.

Miami Jag: A cousin of my family writes for the Washington Post (and she used to write for the Times Picayune, in New Orleans), and I read an article of hers this morning...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10803-2003Feb14.html

After talking with my Mom and several of my relatives who lived there during the 60's, they knew all of the Deacons. I found out that not too many would even acknowledge they were a deacon. The operated in a clandestine fashion. However, the walked tall and carried big sticks...I also found out there were deacons in Alabama as well.

And Mississippi too. It's amazing...my father had just given a black history speech and he mentioned the deacons of defense were really big in the town of Fayette, Ms during the Civil Rights era. I have never even heard of it. He did mention some names of some of the surviving members and told us to ask them about the organiziation and the wounds some of them received.

It was true. One man showed us this ugly scar he allegedly got from an ax cut. He also mentioned that a few of them still had bullet scars. But, whether they lived or died, they stood tall for what they believed in. It's a shame how Fayette has done a complete 360 degree turnaround and has >40% unemployment, no industry, etc. The do have HUGE liability lawsuit settlements, though.

Back