Harry Belafonte, activist and entertainer with a ‘rebel heart,’ dies at 96

Olde Hornet

He was a great man!

Rest In Peace Rip GIF

CNN — Harry Belafonte, the dashing singer, actor and activist who became an indispensable supporter of the civil rights movement, has died, his publicist Ken Sunshine told CNN.

He was 96.

Belafonte died Tuesday morning of congestive heart failure, Sunshine said.

Belafonte was dubbed the “King of Calypso” after the groundbreaking success of his 1956 hit, “The Banana Boat Song (Day-O).” He also became a movie star after acting in the film adaption of the Broadway musical, “Carmen Jones.”

But Belafonte biggest contributions took place offstage. He was a key strategist, fundraiser and mediator for the civil rights movement. He continually risked his entertainment career – and at least once his life – for his activism. He became a close friend of the Rev. Martin

Luther King Jr., who often retired to Belafonte’s palatial New York apartment to talk strategy or escape the pressures of leading the civil rights movement.

A voracious reader with a burning disdain for injustice, Belafonte’s political consciousness was shaped by the experience of growing up as the impoverished son of a poor Jamaican mother who worked as a domestic servant.

“I’ve often responded to queries that ask, ‘When as an artist did you decide to become an activist?’ ” he once said. “My response to the question is that I was an activist long before I became an artist. They both service each other, but the activism is first.”

The scope of Belafonte’s activism was astonishing. He saw the civil rights movement as a g
Rest In Peace Rip GIF

He did what he did in his field with his talents and skills successfully, yet he never stopped fighting for the causes of peeps that he was connected to. Much respect!

More than twenty years ago Brother Harry Belafonte released a 5 disc boxed set anthology of black music that contains over 100 songs from across the blacks diaspora. I went and purchased it soon as I saw him mention it on a talk show. If you are a music lover, black history buff and appreciate the finer aspects and nuances of black culture you will love that collection.

1682452190583.png

As prominent as he was in the entertainment space, he was just as significant when it came to the fight for civil rights for African-Americans. A close confidant of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and financial backer of many important social movements, Belafonte was a key organizer for the historic 1963 March on Washington, which was supported and attended by fellow giants in the arts and humanitarian spaces such as his eventual best friend Poitier, James Baldwin, Diahann Carrol, Sammy Davis Jr., Ruby Dee, Ossie Davis, Marlon Brando, Paul Newman and many others.

Over his illustrious life and career, he was awarded many honors including but not limited to a Kennedy Center Honors for excellence in the performing arts; the Nelson Mandela Courage Award and the National Medal of Arts from the President Clinton; the NAACP’s prestigious Spingarn Medal; and Chevalier of the Legion of Honor by decree of the President of the Republic of France, the highest award bestowed by the French government.

Back