GSU's Eugene 'the man' at QB when Tigers take field Aug. 31

Blacknbengal

News-Star news services
Posted on August 21, 2002
GRAMBLING - While freshman quarterback Gary Cooper out of Booker T. Washington High School in Shreveport has turned in a surprisingly solid preseason, there is no quarterback controversy at Grambling.

"Bruce Eugene is the man," GSU offensive coordinator Melvin Spears said. "It's his time and his job to get out there and lead the team. He's worked hard this summer and the team is responding. He's the No. 1 guy, no questions asked."

Eugene and Cooper (6-1, 190) were among the Tigers practicing Tuesday night as Grambling State continued workouts in preparation for the 2002 season.

GSU opens the season on the road with a 7 p.m. contest at McNeese State in Lake Charles on Aug. 31.

Eugene was GSU's backup last year, starting one game and playing in seven while connecting on 51-of-101 pass attempts for 693 yards with seven touchdowns and two interceptions.

"Bruce showed last season he's capable of moving this team and doing a good job," GSU coach Doug Williams said. "He's a different kind of quarterback than Randy Hymes, but that doesn't mean he can't be just as effective in his own style."

Hymes was a two-year starter who led Grambling to consecutive Southwestern Athletic Conference and NCAA Division I National Black Championships in 2000 and 2001. Hymes was an athletic playmaker, often scrambling back and forth across the field before launching a completed pass.

"You won't see that same kind of thing out of Bruce," Spears said. "They're different kinds of quarterbacks. The thing about Bruce is that he's very smart and approaches the mental aspects of the game. He thinks hard about checking off to the right receiver and reading the opposing defenses. He doesn't just react on pure athletic ability like Randy did - Bruce thinks about it."

GSU receivers have been pleased with Eugene's play so far through preseason practice.

"He's doing a great job," wideout Tramon Douglas said. "He's working hard to get his timing down with all of the receivers and he's got a great touch."

Eugene said he's confident he can help the Tigers push for a third straight championship.

"We're working hard and getting better and better," Eugene said. "I'm feeling better and more confident every day. I'm ready to take over and excited about the season. We have a better receiving group that many people think and I think we're going to surprise some people. We're not going to hold anything back."

Grambling's big quarterback battle is for the No. 2 spot, where Cooper is battling fellow freshman Kevin Barbay (6-1, 200) out of Nederland, Texas.

"Both those guys are working hard, but it's Bruce's show," Williams said. "He has the experience and this is what he's been working for. Now he just has to go out and get the job done."

This is a good article on Eugene. When I saw him against TSU last year, I was convinced that this kid had all the tools and talent to be a very good quarterback. He really reads defenses well and throws a very nice pass. His touch is superb and on the long ball, he is like money in the bank.

During the TSU game, I noticed that he was always making the right read as far as the open receiver. Our passing game will be better than the past two seasons simply because he is a better passer than Randy...especially in terms of making the correct read.

McNeese's secondary is gonna have to deal with a very good passer!

That was a very carefully worded article. Does that writer work for the Greensboro Gazette too?

Its going to be a long year for Bruce.

Bruce Bruce......meet Bobby Bell.

Hymes was an athletic playmaker, often scrambling back and forth across the field before launching a completed pass. "You won't see that same kind of thing out of Bruce," Spears said. "They're different kinds of quarterbacks. The thing about Bruce is that he's very smart and approaches the mental aspects of the game. He thinks hard about checking off to the right receiver and reading the opposing defenses. He doesn't just react on pure athletic ability like Randy did - Bruce thinks about it."

Very carefully worded

LOL @ GR.

Fat jokes aside, I think Eugene will be alright for the most part. I only see about 4-5 teams on Gram's schedule with the defensive personnel (in terms of DLs and LBs) to make him 'think'.

Hymes was an athletic playmaker, often scrambling back and forth across the field before launching a completed pass. "You won't see that same kind of thing out of Bruce," Spears said. "They're different kinds of quarterbacks. The thing about Bruce is that he's very smart and approaches the mental aspects of the game. He thinks hard about checking off to the right receiver and reading the opposing defenses. He doesn't just react on pure athletic ability like Randy did - Bruce thinks about it."

"Yeah man, you are going to love your blind date.
She is very nice and has a great personality."

GR.
WHEN I FIRST READ THE ARTICLE I WAS LIKE WHOOOOOA.IT WAS CAREFULLY WORDED NOT TO AFFEND ANYONE SEEM LIKE TO ME.I'M ALL WITH INSTILLING CONFIDENCE BUT WITHOUT RANDY BIENG ATHLETIC GRAM WOULD NOT SEE TWO BACK TO BACK CHAMPIONSHIPS. DEFENSE OR NOT .HE MADE PLAYS WHEN NO ONE ELSE WANTED TO.I LIKE GRAM AND ALL BUT LET'S BE REAL ABOUT IT.EUGENE WILL BE A GOOD ONE BUT BEATING UP ON OTHER PEOPLE WHILE PUMPING UP HIS HEAD IS SAD.

STC-60, I really like the way you speak your mind. I dont care if Soggy, Suge, MikeB, and others try to shut you up. You just continue speaking the truth.................like Cynthia McKinney! :tup:

SPEAK THA TRUTH!!!!!!!!!

I don't see where there was any "careful" wording or "putdown" of Randy Hymes. If anything, it was complimenting Randy for what he accomplished while pointing out that he feels Bruce Bigg will also be effective albeit in a different manner. Everything is open to interpretation. I will offer mine (hell everyone else seems to have one).

Originally posted by Blacknbengal

News-Star news services
Posted on August 21, 2002
GRAMBLING - While freshman quarterback Gary Cooper out of Booker T. Washington High School in Shreveport has turned in a surprisingly solid preseason, there is no quarterback controversy at Grambling.

"Bruce Eugene is the man," GSU offensive coordinator Melvin Spears said. "It's his time and his job to get out there and lead the team. He's worked hard this summer and the team is responding. He's the No. 1 guy, no questions asked."

Bruce Bigg has answered the coaches call and worked himself into shape physically and prepared himself mentally to take over the most high profile position in BCF...qb at Grambling State University

Eugene and Cooper (6-1, 190) were among the Tigers practicing Tuesday night as Grambling State continued workouts in preparation for the 2002 season.

GSU opens the season on the road with a 7 p.m. contest at McNeese State in Lake Charles on Aug. 31.

Eugene was GSU's backup last year, starting one game and playing in seven while connecting on 51-of-101 pass attempts for 693 yards with seven touchdowns and two interceptions.

"Bruce showed last season he's capable of moving this team and doing a good job," GSU coach Doug Williams said. "He's a different kind of quarterback than Randy Hymes, but that doesn't mean he can't be just as effective in his own style."

Doug was impressed with Bruce Bigg last year, but in comparison to his predecessor, he is a different type of quarterback. We know Randy was successful with his style of play, we think Bruce can be effective with his style

Hymes was a two-year starter who led Grambling to consecutive Southwestern Athletic Conference and NCAA Division I National Black Championships in 2000 and 2001. Hymes was an athletic playmaker, often scrambling back and forth across the field before launching a completed pass.

"You won't see that same kind of thing out of Bruce," Spears said. "They're different kinds of quarterbacks. The thing about Bruce is that he's very smart and approaches the mental aspects of the game. He thinks hard about checking off to the right receiver and reading the opposing defenses. He doesn't just react on pure athletic ability like Randy did - Bruce thinks about it."

Randy relied on his playmaking ability. He was not a true quarterback, but had the ability to play quarterback. His style was to make the play with his athleticism. If it meant passing the ball, cool but his forte was making it happen as an athlete

GSU receivers have been pleased with Eugene's play so far through preseason practice.

"He's doing a great job," wideout Tramon Douglas said. "He's working hard to get his timing down with all of the receivers and he's got a great touch."

Eugene said he's confident he can help the Tigers push for a third straight championship.

"We're working hard and getting better and better," Eugene said. "I'm feeling better and more confident every day. I'm ready to take over and excited about the season. We have a better receiving group that many people think and I think we're going to surprise some people. We're not going to hold anything back."

We're ready. It is now time for us to step up and handle our business as the leaders of the team. We're ready to do the dayum thang

Grambling's big quarterback battle is for the No. 2 spot, where Cooper is battling fellow freshman Kevin Barbay (6-1, 200) out of Nederland, Texas.

"Both those guys are working hard, but it's Bruce's show," Williams said. "He has the experience and this is what he's been working for. Now he just has to go out and get the job done."

We got two other guys who are good. They are working hard to get the call as the number two guy. Competition has made all three guys better. But Bruce is the man!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Blacknbengal

Randy relied on his playmaking ability. He was not a true quarterback, but had the ability to play quarterback. His style was to make the play with his athleticism. If it meant passing the ball, cool but his forte was making it happen as an athlete

Dayum MikeB, Randy was not a QB? This is a first. The ability to play QB? Dayum! Next, I guess you will be saying that Brugene was just a converted lineman that could read defensive schemes and stunts?

Reading is fundamental...I said he was not a "true" quarterback. What I meant by that is...he was better suited to play wide receiver! Doug switched him last year in part to get a look at him as wide receiver...a position he played in his first season (remember the big game he had in the Bayou Classic when Lionel Hayes was the qb).

Didn't yall make a switch with TC Taylor? It's all about coaching preference. Doug prefers the pocket passer over the scrambler and made the change. However, last years team responded to Randy Hymes under center and he lead us to BACK2BACK championships. But why the hell am I debating this with you...hell, you're from Vidalia, La and Jackson State (home of the two worst football coaches in the history of football coaches)

Dee Faircloth send help!

So, you had to bring my high school in dis hea!:mad: Well, just take a look at what happened when Doug put that so-called "pocket" QB in the game and switched the "scrambling" QB to receiver. Now, imagine that happening every game for the entire year.

And you want to talk about coaches? Duh, duh have been riding Robinson's coat-tail for the last 2 years. Now, this is the year that will truly expose him for what he is.

A DUMMY. :retard:

Dude, Doug learned a lot from Coach Rob...there's no denying that. But the only players on Doug's two championship teams recruited by Coach Rob were Levi Washington and Robert Taylor.

The last two championships belong to Doug Williams and his staff...if anything, Hughes has let down what Big Daddy started.
He ain't won isht since the players that Carson recruited graduated.

Back