GSU Recommendations

Jaguar Diehard

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/update/1043425303.shtml

University System issues 76 recommendations to Grambling

The Associated Press

Posted on January 24, 2003

Grambling State University should hire fewer of its own graduates, consider eliminating doctoral programs, limit spending on athletics, and stop complaining about being under funded, according to an independent review.

Grambling also should appoint a new board for fund-raising that is more accountable to the university, increase pay for professors, crack down on dormitory vandalism and make a better effort to recruit and retain students who are not black, the report to the University of Louisiana System said.

The report was released Thursday with 76 recommendations. It was conducted by a panel of current or former university presidents from around the country.

The University of Louisiana System, which oversees Grambling and seven other state universities, commissioned the report at the request of acting Grambling President Neari Warner. Warner led an effort to gain a satisfactory state audit for the university, which saved the school from losing its accreditation.

"This validates what we already know -- that there is still much work to be done at Grambling," Warner said in a statement published by the university system. "Many of the recommendations are already being addressed."

Grambling has begun to emerge from a decade of financial mismanagement that recently threatened to close the school.

The past year marked the first time since 1997 GSU has received an audit deemed acceptable by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, which handles accreditation matters across the South.

SACS extended Grambling's probation for a year, saying it was pleased with the changes but wanted to ensure it was part of a new pattern.

The report congratulated Grambling for its recent success in turning around its accounting department, but warned against complacency.

"Amidst the enthusiasm and focus on financial matters, there has been a tendency for the campus and its constituents to overlook the reality that Grambling is not without other issues," the report said.

The panel suggested that Grambling's recent problems stem in part from hiring too many of its own graduates. Alumni don't want to blow the whistle on their alma mater, and tend to lack outside experience to propose alternative ways of doing things, the panel said.

The panel also said Grambling should merge a number of programs not only to save money, but also to improve the university's organizational structure.

The university also should consider eliminating doctoral programs because of low enrollment and high cost. The money that pays for the programs comes from a civil rights court settlement, the terms of which expire in 2005.

And while the panel found that Louisiana does not fund its universities as well as the rest of nation, Grambling is still generously funded compared to other Louisiana schools, it said.

"Hence, we believe Grambling personnel should minimize their complaints about underfunding and instead concentrate upon using the university's $44.5 million operating budget as productively as possible," the report said.

Restoring financial discipline "will require unpopular decisions, no doubt involving the termination of some employees," the report said.

At the same time, Grambling needs to find a way to pay professors more and bring in grant funding to promote research. The panel found that Grambling professors make less than most comparable schools and perform fewer research projects.

Full professors at Grambling earn about $58,700. Full professors at Southern University earn more than $64,000.

The report also said:

-- The condition of residence halls generally range from "acceptable to uninhabitable."

-- The university needs to begin addressing about $50 million worth of maintenance projects.

-- Men's sports get more money even though more than half the student body consists of women.

-- The university has failed to maintain adequate accountability and control on fund-raising by allowing such activities to be handled by "affiliated organizations."

The report also suggested that Grambling reduce out-of-state tuition waivers, effectively forcing non-Louisiana residents to pay more, and also to slowly implement higher minimum academic standards on high school graduates seeking to enroll.

THEY MUST WANT STUDENTS AND ATHELETES BAD AT OTHER SCHOOLS. MORE THAN HALF OF STUDNETS ARE OUT OF STATE.HIGHER STANDARDS WILL DESTROY GRAM. 98% OF THE STUDENTA AREON FINANCIAL AID. THEY TRYING HARD.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I can see some of this, but....

most of these recommendations seem kinda frivolous. Making salary comparisons pretty much did me in when they chose Southern as "comparable" (maybe just SU in this news article not necessarily the report). Don't you think the university closest to Gram in a rural community with the same academic make up would make a better comparison? I guess Northwestern St. is in that sprawling metropolis of Natchitoches.

Also, I think improvements are forthcoming since the athletic department appears to be self-sufficient. Money management alas, is not a stranger to HBCU's. Most of us have learned MOST of these lessons, but "others" are still hurting.

I don't see a problem of hiring your alum's, especially if they are well-trained professionals. I agree that if you don't have someone that at least has relevant experience in performing the duties associated with budget/project management then you should look elsewhere. I would even say hire someone with the relevant experience to get things straight and train folks for a mandated period of time. Are they saying that "we" are the only folks that ....nevermind. I won't even entertain that thought.

Many schools place limits on the number of alumni that they hire, especially prestigious research universities.

Re: I can see some of this, but....

Originally posted by Jaguar Diehard
most of these recommendations seem kinda frivolous. Making salary comparisons pretty much did me in when they chose Southern as "comparable" (maybe just SU in this news article not necessarily the report). Don't you think the university closest to Gram in a rural community with the same academic make up would make a better comparison? I guess Northwestern St. is in that sprawling metropolis of Natchitoches.

Also, I think improvements are forthcoming since the athletic department appears to be self-sufficient. Money management alas, is not a stranger to HBCU's. Most of us have learned MOST of these lessons, but "others" are still hurting.

I don't see a problem of hiring your alum's, especially if they are well-trained professionals. I agree that if you don't have someone that at least has relevant experience in performing the duties associated with budget/project management then you should look elsewhere. I would even say hire someone with the relevant experience to get things straight and train folks for a mandated period of time. Are they saying that "we" are the only folks that ....nevermind. I won't even entertain that thought.

JD, you should take a look at the full report. You know newspapers can put a spin on a report. The full report actually compare salaries at all state schools including LSU as well as other HBCU's and regional PWC's. I have not completed reading the report, but there are many things I agree with in it. You can find the report on the Univ. of Louisiana's website. You'll need Adobe Acrobat to view.

http://www.ulsystem.net/dynaweb/1001055/docs/grambling_review.pdf

Re: Re: I can see some of this, but....

I agree...having read the report it makes a lot of sense.

Originally posted by cat daddy

JD, you should take a look at the full report. You know newspapers can put a spin on a report. The full report actually compare salaries at all state schools including LSU as well as other HBCU's and regional PWC's. I have not completed reading the report, but there are many things I agree with in it. You can find the report on the Univ. of Louisiana's website. You'll need Adobe Acrobat to view.

http://www.ulsystem.net/dynaweb/1001055/docs/grambling_review.pdf

Back