GSU/PV Suspensions

Status
Not open for further replies.
bluedog said:
This is suppose to be about punishment not how the SWAC office can work around a schools schedule. If they wouldn't have broken the rules they wouldn't have to be concern about this now would they?

I agree. They could have waited until right before kickoff if they wanted to.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
G-Man 68 said:
SWAC PR Man, thanks for the insight, but should Grambling or PVU suffer for the incompetencies and technical failures of the SWAC office

Dude...they are suffering for the stupidity of their players, not the SWAC office.

bluedog said:
This is suppose to be about punishment not how the SWAC office can work around a schools schedule. If they wouldn't have broken the rules they wouldn't have to be concern about this now would they?

How Ironic

jag4life said:
Dude...they are suffering for the stupidity of their players, not the SWAC office.

First, I agree with the suspensions, just not the timing of the notification of the suspensions--two separate issues. And, while I have never condone "fighting/brawling" on the field--either as a spectator or former player--as I saw it, the Grambling players were initially defending themselves from flying/swinging helmets from the PV players before it escalated into the mess that had led us to this point. Nevertheless, if A slaps B, and B retaliates, then, as we all know by now, both A and B will be punished. But, Jag4life, I'm sure you better than I do about how a school suffers from the stupidity of its players, band members, students, etc. (No smack intended). Just a little :mad: right now.

It's funny how some can make comments. When they don't follow the rules of the SWAC, (i.e. all teams in the SWAC will play each other in the 2004 season.)

purple hill II said:
Great Point Lewis!

I could'nt have said it any better! If you ever played the game before and is not just a spectator trying to analyze the game you would understand you practice to perform for 60 minutes of hardcore football, not 58 minutes and the you lay down...that's how injuries become reality :upset:

It's like how many points is enough!?! Hell, any coach will tell you that you can never have enough points. If you are in the game on offense and a play is called, you better dang sure execute at full speed or suffer the reprimand for halfa@@ing and going half speed. At some point, in Saturday's game or any blowout, the focus shifts from just winning to maintaining the lead and evaluating/prepping the backup players and giving them reps in a game situation. Between the white lines, any team is fair game for blowout if it suits up players, takes the field and cannot stop its opponent. If the shoe had been on the other foot, Frazier would sure trying to hang seventy plus points on us. That's just the nature of the game. As purple hill stated, when you lose focus and lack intensity, this is when players get hurt.

I'll add this and I'm finished. I'm not codoning the actions of the players or saying that an attempt to run up the score justifies anything. But that is kinda dumb to say PV was trying to run up their score when they are behind by a pretty good distance. It would be unsportsman-like to just give up and not try to score if you are behind. :rolleyes:

GMAN said:
It's funny how some can make comments. When they don't follow the rules of the SWAC, (i.e. all teams in the SWAC will play each other in the 2004 season.)

Ain't it though, GMAN. And, it was done without any reparations offered to the offended school that lost the scheduled game. It's like renegging in a spades game. Well, not exactly, because even in spade the renegging party is punished somewhat by the governing players.

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
I'll add this and I'm finished. I'm not codoning the actions of the players or saying that an attempt to run up the score justifies anything. But that is kinda dumb to say PV was trying to run up their score when they are behind by a pretty good distance. It would be unsportsman-like to just give up and not try to score if you are behind. :rolleyes:

You wanted to keep scoring because you never give up. You thought if you get an interception, fumble recovery, onside kick and some quick scores that you could win the game. Our job was to prevent you from doing that..

See the su/bama game for an example.

BLAQUE PRINCE said:

I, for one, did say PV was trying run up the score; they were just competing but also engaging in unsportsmanlike conduct with late-hits, blatant chop blocking (outside of the permitted zone) and taunting in the fourth quarter; and only one PV player was ejected for such behavior. BTW, it is also unsportsmanlike for teams (either the winning or losing team, regardless of the score differential) to stop competing during regulation. That is all that is being said.

GramFan said:
Gotta agree with Robber and Fiyah on this one. That was totally unnecessary for Spears to have Landers throwing a TD pass that late in the game. There is no excuse for that.

On a side note, I wonder if this little fiasco will have any impact on Spears' remaining on as head coach after the season. I'm pretty sure that those that didnt want him as head coach at Grambling are thinking of using this incident against him when the time comes.

From FootballScoop.com:

Friday October 1, 2004:

Savannah State University's Defensive Coordinator was released last week

Hot list: Kentucky, SMU, North Carolina, East Carolina, Middle Tennessee, Ole Miss, Washington, Western Michigan

We hear there will be a coaching change at Grambling State

UNC name-Clyde Christenson-WR Indianapolis Colts UNC grad, Kevin Wilson,

South Carolina- We have heard this for two seasons now- but here it goes again, look for Lou Holtz to retire at the end of the season!

:eek:

:shame:

Grambling could have gone 12-0 with a championship, along with the GSU players defending themselves in the fight and you would still hear about a coaching change at Grambling.

1st of all it is very unfortunate that this incident occurred for both institutions. 2nd, though I do not agree with many Gramblingnites on a lot of issues, I must agree that SPEARS was not wrong with running his offensive attack late in the 4th quarter...WHY??? Because, Landers and many more persons in the skilled positions are newbies!!! Had this been B. Eugene throwing touchdown passes to a Jr. or Sr. receiver late in the game you might have an argument, but then again this is a competition to win. Nobody questioned Steve Spurrier antics when he "ran the score up" on many games while he was in the SEC...or for those of us that just know Black College Football...no one reprimanded Billy Joe when he whipped us at FAMU!!! This is a game, a contest, and in essence a time to beat or get beat! PV supporters may get upset at the following, but, a question that nobody has posed is, Why would GRAM players initate a fight after a game which they have already demoralized the other team? Now taunting is one thing; but dealing blows is another. So if they were simply defending themselves then I think that there sanctions should have been imposed for the following week and for the team that started the fight the sanctions should have been imposed immediately. Because what has been set now is a precedent where a team could have its 4th string waterboy backup start a fight after the game with a starter on the opposition team, just in order to keep that starter from playing in the following weeks game...if you don't think this could possibly happen...REMEMBER THIS IS THE SWAC, where strange isht happens ALL THE TIME

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Justin Kredible said:
1st of all it is very unfortunate that this incident occurred for both institutions. 2nd, though I do not agree with many Gramblingnites on a lot of issues, I must agree that SPEARS was not wrong with running his offensive attack late in the 4th quarter...WHY??? Because, Landers and many more persons in the skilled positions are newbies!!! Had this been B. Eugene throwing touchdown passes to a Jr. or Sr. receiver late in the game you might have an argument, but then again this is a competition to win. Nobody questioned Steve Spurrier antics when he "ran the score up" on many games while he was in the SEC...or for those of us that just know Black College Football...no one reprimanded Billy Joe when he whipped us at FAMU!!! This is a game, a contest, and in essence a time to beat or get beat! PV supporters may get upset at the following, but, a question that nobody has posed is, Why would GRAM players initate a fight after a game which they have already demoralized the other team? Now taunting is one thing; but dealing blows is another. So if they were simply defending themselves then I think that there sanctions should have been imposed for the following week and for the team that started the fight the sanctions should have been imposed immediately. Because what has been set now is a precedent where a team could have its 4th string waterboy backup start a fight after the game with a starter on the opposition team, just in order to keep that starter from playing in the following weeks game...if you don't think this could possibly happen...REMEMBER THIS IS THE SWAC, where strange isht happens ALL THE TIME

Bra in all honesty, I think Grambling time is up in the SWAC. It is time to move on to bigger and better things. The SWAC is the worse ran conference in College football.

Justin Kredible said:
Why would GRAM players initate a fight after a game which they have already demoralized the other team? Now taunting is one thing; but dealing blows is another. So if they were simply defending themselves then I think that there sanctions should have been imposed for the following week and for the team that started the fight the sanctions should have been imposed immediately. Because what has been set now is a precedent where a team could have its 4th string waterboy backup start a fight after the game with a starter on the opposition team, just in order to keep that starter from playing in the following weeks game...

Very interesting points.

did anyone mention the coach with the "black eye" was the one choking the PV player? That same coach received a degree from PV...brainwashing at its finest....

PV taunts and chopblocks.....and I saw all the personal foul calls we received as a result....GSU celebrated, got in our face and high-fived after every damn play and they want to complain?

why is PV and Frazier the one to blame? GSU folks see no wrong in a coach who wins....but when they lose, they go crazy....they can't stand Larry Wright because he loses, Rusty because he can't match Bibbs...etc..

Why do we always get into debates about who was wrong for the fights we get into? Come on people...

My problem with this is that SWAC released a PRESS RELEASE regarding the punishment. HELL!!! HOW DUMB CAN YOU BE? That's like saying "Hey world, our conference has been bad and this is how bad we are." They have news channels, radio talk shows and news/sports tickers, etc... all announcing the punishment. Hell, these folks didn't even mention there was a State Fair Classic occuring. Now, you give them your words saying you are misbehaving for them to discuss your negatives?

There was a situation in the past regarding fighting that went across the world the night it happened. That was a rare situation an official response from the conference and the universities was important and necessary for. The world became aware of that from sources other than the conference. The conference and the universities had to publicly communicate you've heard bad news and we are addressing our issues. You don't go public with punishment (negatives) when the public isn't aware you were even there. SMH...

People, let us address what matters. The schools got into a fight. There is and should be some punishments for it. It isn't good. Don't try to make a right out of it or a you're more wrong than me.

The SWAC should have issued their punishment, communicated it to the schools, and the schools comply. No need to inform the world of it. Spend more time informing the world of our conference's positives, so we can attract more of the premier talents and minds to our institutions, especially those in, but not limited to those in, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas and Texas. Not to mention garnish a more positive image of our conference and universities to the corporations, who can open their pockets wider in terms of their sponsorships and contributions to our institutions, programs and events.

Swac PR Man said:
<B> BOTTOM LINE </B> -- SWAC office followed a procedure, collected information, attempted a thorough and fair investigation, stayed in contact with schools, notified them first ... then levied sanctions. We purposely did not release named to the public, privacy of individuals, left that to schools if they wished.

SWAC PR Man

Great. Those names should never be released.

In the interest of maintaining "competitive integrity" most conferences would stagger (spread out the suspensions) to allow a minimum of two players per game. I would have liked to have seen something like this considered. I wonder if the cavalier attitude of some other schools would be the same if the game had an impact on the conference standing. For instance, would the Jag posters be as happy to see so many GSU starters out if we were playing UAPB (based on the fact that SU needs someone to trip up PB). Would JSU be as cavalier if the game was against Bama State? Something to think about.

Interim Grambling State coach Melvin Spears insisted his team only retaliated after being provoked.

"All actions of our football family members were an attempt at self-defense rather than aggressive violent behavior," he said.

In a statement, Spears apologized to "the Grambling State University administration, faculty, staff and students in addition to the Southwestern Athletic Conference."

Justin Kredible said:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back