GSU lures new fans

Originally posted by SAME OLD G

Its called good PR. Not just for Grambling, but more so for Ohio State's athletic program.

You see PR is something that many of us and our SWAC athletic adminstrators know little - if not nothing - about.

Cosigning what SOG said. It was good PR. Nothing more nothing less. Good old fashioned feel good story was all it was. Again props to the OSU coach and GSU.

How this thread got turned around from a positive to negative. shrug shoulders............walks out...

Originally posted by JR

How this thread got turned around from a positive to negative. shrug shoulders............walks out...

This wasn't about being negative. It was about questioning what all the excitement was about. Maybe its just my nature, but I'm gonna always raise questions when it looks like we're seeking validation from Dwight Mann. Again, had this been Jim Tressel and Ohio State's football team coming to visit, then I'd understand the excitement.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Kool-Aid2K1

Again, had this been Jim Tressel and Ohio State's football team coming to visit, then I'd understand the excitement.

I'M SURE THAT IF OHIO STATE HAPPENS TO PLAY TECH IN FOOTBALL IN RUSTON :smh: THEN I'M SURE THAT THEY WOULD MAKE A TRIP TO GRAMBLING. MANY BUSES FROM SCHOOLS THAT PLAY TECH, ULM COME THROUGH GRAMBLING TO TOUR AND IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE THE PAPER. THE NCAA TOURNEY WAS IN RUSTON LAST WEEK AND I'M SURE THERE WAS A LOT OF DOWN TIME FOR THE TEAMS TO DO OTHER THINGS.

I don't know...

Maybe some of us need to decide what "type" of true fan some are. LOL

Me thinks that no HBCUer would seek validation from Dwight. I do understand "feel good" stories though. Certainly was a good 'plot' to raise a lil' hoop-la though.

While in Slowlumbus, I prolly passed by archie griffin and that old ugly azz stadium of theirs a 1,000 times and didn't note it. The people that I seek to chat w/ or get to know are the ones that I have great admiration for (like Eric D's dad, the guy nicknamed "tree" or "bumpy" who played football for PV LMAO) and the ground that I conider hallowed is HBCU grounds and those grounds that immediately border them :).

Re: Don't mean to break up the love-fest, but.......

Originally posted by Kool-Aid2K1
Since when is a visit from Dwight Mann cause for such jubilee and excitment? And how is attendance of football practice by the women's basketball team a sign of respect? Seems to me that this coach just had some time to kill.
I'm not trying to offend, so don't take it personally. I'd have these same questions if it was my own school.

....This is in Response to both "you" and M.Hornet....Before you pose questions please ensure that you have "some" knowledge of the subject matter...I have read most of these comments and I single both of you out simply because you try to make a "mountain-out-of-a-molehill" situation....

...I attended the following game and have "FIRST HAND FACTS"

...Jim Foster(OSU's current coach) came from Vanderbilt in Nashville, Tennessee where he coached the Women's team....In the NCAA first round in 1994, Grambling's Women were the 15th Seed and Vanderbilt was the 2nd seed(12th ranked in the nation). The prior season(1993) this same team had been a FINAL FOUR participant...I feel that Coach Foster had much RESPECT for the GRAMBLING Ladies after the game and the SportsWriters indicated this also....Here is(in part) some of what was printed after the game>>>>>

Grambling's Lady Tigers put up a terrific effort. Regardless of whether Vandy awoke in time to shed the Louisiana squad the Lady Tigers fought hard before falling(in VU's Memorial Gymnasium) by a score of 95-85. JIM FOSTER said that GRAMBLING was not a 15th SEED.

....And btw this was the 1st year that the SWAC received an automatic bid to the NCAA...

Foster replied.."this was not a typical 15th seed"...They are a very difficult team to defend because you are not sure where their shots are going to come from(end of quote)

....I said all of that to say this>>>>Jim Foster had the "SCARE" of his life when he played Grambling in 1994...sometimes with fear comes RESPECT....I believe he wanted to see GRAMBLING up close and personal as well as show his team while he was there in Louisiana.

....Many thanks to all who had "positive" comments....Kool-Aid and MHornet>>>> I ain't mad at 'cha:D

Re: Re: Don't mean to break up the love-fest, but.......

Originally posted by G-QUE

....This is in Response to both "you" and M.Hornet....Before you pose questions please ensure that you have "some" knowledge of the subject matter...I have read most of these comments and I single both of you out simply because you try to make a "mountain-out-of-a-molehill" situation....

...I attended the following game and have "FIRST HAND FACTS"

...Jim Foster(OSU's current coach) came from Vanderbilt in Nashville, Tennessee where he coached the Women's team....In the NCAA first round in 1994, Grambling's Women were the 15th Seed and Vanderbilt was the 2nd seed(12th ranked in the nation). The prior season(1993) this same team had been a FINAL FOUR participant...I feel that Coach Foster had much RESPECT for the GRAMBLING Ladies after the game and the SportsWriters indicated this also....Here is(in part) some of what was printed after the game>>>>>

Grambling's Lady Tigers put up a terrific effort. Regardless of whether Vandy awoke in time to shed the Louisiana squad the Lady Tigers fought hard before falling(in VU's Memorial Gymnasium) by a score of 95-85. JIM FOSTER said that GRAMBLING was not a 15th SEED.

....And btw this was the 1st year that the SWAC received an automatic bid to the NCAA...

Foster replied.."this was not a typical 15th seed"...They are a very difficult team to defend because you are not sure where their shots are going to come from(end of quote)

....I said all of that to say this>>>>Jim Foster had the "SCARE" of his life when he played Grambling in 1994...sometimes with fear comes RESPECT....I believe he wanted to see GRAMBLING up close and personal as well as show his team while he was there in Louisiana.

....Many thanks to all who had "positive" comments....Kool-Aid and MHornet>>>> I ain't mad at 'cha:D

All of that would make sense if Foster took his team to see the women's team practice. But he didn't. Plus you throw in the fact that he waited 10 years to pay his respects. I never said this was a bad thing, I just don't understand the hoopla about it.

Re: Re: Don't mean to break up the love-fest, but.......

Originally posted by G-QUE
and I single both of you out simply because you try to make a "mountain-out-of-a-molehill" situation....
On the contrary, most of you all were making this simple visit out to be a mountain, when it's nothing but a minor molehill.

It wasn't even like they left Columbus to come to Gram either. They were there for a game in Ruston, with probably nothing to do, and visited gram's campus.
Sorry, but this aint nothing to write home to mom about.

I don't remember reading anyone seeking validation from D. White Mann. Someone eventually asked if the coach was white. I thought it spoke well of Grambling that a women's basketball team would go watch the football team practice. As if they couldn't go get their nails done or something else that women do.

What I want to know is how is it that we are seeking validation from the white man, when the story was published by a white own organization?

Back