GSU AD AL DENNIS GONE

THAMES said:
Don't know if Doug had anything to do with this or if it really is part of an effort to raise the bar for the entire athletic department.

---------------

New GSU president dismisses AD
Nick Deriso
nderiso@thenewsstar.com

July 2, 2004

Copyright 2004, The News-Star

Grambling State University is looking for its fifth athletics director.

GSU President Horace Judson, in his first official day at work, has asked Albert Dennis III to step down as AD. Today is to be Dennis' last day.

"Dr. Judson has an interest in raising the bar at all levels of the institution," said Ralph Wilson, a faculty member who serves as president of the GSU Quarterback Club. "I'm sure that this is a part of that concept." .......

-------------------------
Read the Story...
http://www.thenewsstar.com/grambling/html/69DDAE86-50FD-44CE-8C64-14B3F10E607F.shtml
I know who had something to do with it for sure. :emlaugh:

MightyDog said:
GSU President is off to a bad start. First order of business based on business practices would be to determine where the program is and set goals based on where the President would like to go with the Program. If the resources are not available then it is up to the President to provide those resources. You know and I know that Athletics are not the 1st priority on a HBCU campus. Presidents are not going to increase the Department of Athletics budget to start operating like PWC. Our schools need to increase enrollment and place more emphasis on retention which is a good start. We have moved from 5000 students to over 6000 in two years and our goal is 10,000 students. As the student body move so does athletics.

TGEE, when everyone can make money they will listen. Now what does the City give back.

Seems like the President of the QB Club did not have a good relationship with the AD. GSU is not located in a good market, therefore, the marketing issues will be very difficult to overcome. We can learn marketing skills in school, but the application of marketing is where the rubber meets the road.
Actually MightyDog, the president hasn't only sent the AD home. The president has been in meetings since his acceptance of the position at the University long before his offical appointment date. Just like TGee alluded to. He is doing what needs to be done. You cannot rebuild until you destroy.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
It's funny someone brought up marketing. So many BLACK COLLEGES are sitting on marketing gold minds.....we just don't have the right people in place to get the job done as far as marketing goes. Our schools have so many opportunities that could be used as spring boards.

TGee said:
This is turning more into Grambling hate mail than anything else. And by the way, Judson first official day was Wednesday I believe, but he has been around the campus for a while now from what I understand. He and all others began looking into the issues at Grambling and implementation plans to move Grambling forward during the president selection process. I don't think any president in no form nor fashion will began a job clueless, they are way to intelligent for that. Judson has always stated that he would work hard to increase Grambling's revenue streams making it a more independent university and he views athletics as one of those streams. And about Grambling not being located in a good market, that is bull___. When I entered Grambling the Fall '92 the enrollment was around 7500 and it peak at 8500 in '94. And when I mentioned Grambling getting offers to play in major Cities each year, those sponsors are playing money for Grambling to come there and play which means REVENUE. And all this talk about reaching the younger generation, please remenber that Grambling signed 5 Blue Chipers this past Spring. Grambling has the name recognition to move forward to great heights.
Take constructive criticism and move on. If marketing in Grambling was as great as you are trying to make it out to be the pres wouldn't have hired a new AD. Apparently he wasn't content with the marketing scheme Gram is using. If it was easy you wouldn't have to "work hard" to increase revenue. Can we be real with ourselves for one minute???? Grambling's tradition far more supercedes it's current marketing if anything. You're not going to sit here and actually tell me that Gram signed those blue chips last year on marketing....... Also marketing is more than just football season.

TGee, there is no hate here, but now that you mentioned fall 92, I understand you a little better. I have been to Grambling many times and even you agree that GSU is market better outside of Grambling than in Grambling. Even your alums wanted to see more home games, but it cuts down on revenue which means you have to be a road team.

Gram4life, are we talking employment for people out of work or do you need a leader who can lead?

There is more to this than what meets the eye. It is very strange for an incoming administrator to fire one of the department heads uipon his arrival,
I was taught that you assess each department or division and formulate an action plan before you start reorganizing.

But than again everyone has his own administrative style.

I speculate this has something to do with Doug. One of the things that I read in the past was that Doug was disgruntle with facilities and that his written concerns were not address. If his concerns were not address professsionally than the AD has a problem. Especially when the state leadership has to get involve to try to get your football coach back.

During the interview for the Presidency somebody asked what are you going to do about the AD? And it was somebody with authorithy. :tophat:

NOISE TALKA said:
It's funny someone brought up marketing. So many BLACK COLLEGES are sitting on marketing gold minds.....we just don't have the right people in place to get the job done as far as marketing goes. Our schools have so many opportunities that could be used as spring boards.

NT, I made a statement about how the BC helped other schools, but many disagreed that it only helps GSU and SU. However, we took advantage of something we saw at the BC and inquired about it once we arrived back home. There was money available, but I don't think folks are going to tell you they have funds go give away. But once you asked the right questions they will share a few dollars with you. That situation turned into revenue for AAMU. I wouldn't say there are many opportunties out there but I would say there are some opportunties of $3000 to $5,000 out there.

TGee are you tell me that GSU went from 8500 students to 4,300 student in 2002? I am looking at the 2002 enrollment figures.

thegooddoctor said:
There is more to this than what meets the eye. It is very strange for an incoming administrator to fire one of the department heads uipon his arrival,
I was taught that you assess each department or division and formulate an action plan before you start reorganizing.

But than again everyone has his own administrative style.

I speculate this has something to do with Doug. One of the things that I read in the past was that Doug was disgruntle with facilities and that his written concerns were not address. If his concerns were not address professsionally than the AD has a problem. Especially when the state leadership has to get involve to try to get your football coach back.

During the interview for the Presidency somebody asked what are you going to do about the AD? And it was somebody with authorithy. :tophat:
OK, let me put a end to this before it starts.

There is no "this is because of Doug" conspiracy. There are a number of heads rolling as we speak. There are a number of people who have been forced to resign (I am sure you all will be reading about it soon) that are not a part of the athletic department. So lets not make this more than what it is. The new president is simply cleaning house.

SAME OLD G said:
OK, let me put a end to this before it starts.

There is no "this is because of Doug" conspiracy. There are a number of heads rolling as we speak. There are a number of people who have been forced to resign (I am sure you all will be reading about it soon) that are not a part of the athletic department. So lets not make this more than what it is. The new president is simply cleaning house.

Are you saying that he was given a hit list by the board? If this is the case then he is doing what he was hired to do.

thegooddoctor said:

No sir. I'm 100% positive that this question was not asked. Either yours or someone else's recollection is incorrect.

:shame:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
JSTUS said:
No sir. I'm 100% positive that this question was not asked. Either yours or someone else's recollection is incorrect.
:shame:

JSTUS is right. This is not a conspiracy, and it's certainly not the only personnel move -- even if it may be the most public so far.

Judson decisiveness wins praise
New GSU president hints more changes to come

Though it might have seemed hasty, [Mike] Woods [chairman of the University of Louisiana System board, which hired Dr. Judson] said the decision to ask Dennis to step down came after a month spent on campus.

"He is very deliberate," Woods said. "I can tell you he has thought about this long and hard. He's a good listener and he's formed some strong opinions."
"When we hired him, that was so he could come in and move forward," said Woods. "We gave him the authority to hire - and that means to fire, as well."

The university released a prepared statement Friday from Judson, who was out of town: "Change is common to any new administration, especially changes in personnel," he said.

Many of those changes can be expected outside of athletics, Woods added. Judson has been given a directive to quickly fill a variety of positions that have remained open for some time.

"One of the reasons we gave him leeway is because he has so many positions to fill," Woods said.

Judson's prepared statement also indicated there are more moves on the horizon.

"In my efforts to assemble my own administrative team, I will be making several personnel appointments," Judson said. "The athletics department is a vital component of the university and is a priority in my vision for strengthening Grambling State University."

MORE HERE: http://www.thenewsstar.com/localnews/html/DEC8996B-E693-443F-84FE-0003BCD979C6.shtml

It's not my place to comment on this forum as to whether I think this was the right move. But I've got to correct anyone who links Doug Williams to Dennis' dismissal. Doug and Dr. Judson don't even know one another.

:topic:

Speaking of marketing and public relations, I like the new commercials for TSU.

EB said:
:topic:

Speaking of marketing and public relations, I like the new commercials for TSU.

Those are our second phase of commercials over the past two years. More to come. :tup:

You all would be surprised with how much free and significantly reduced fees for commercials and advertisement (billboards) we get.

Mr. SWAC said:
Take constructive criticism and move on. If marketing in Grambling was as great as you are trying to make it out to be the pres wouldn't have hired a new AD. Apparently he wasn't content with the marketing scheme Gram is using. If it was easy you wouldn't have to "work hard" to increase revenue. Can we be real with ourselves for one minute???? Grambling's tradition far more supercedes it's current marketing if anything. You're not going to sit here and actually tell me that Gram signed those blue chips last year on marketing....... Also marketing is more than just football season.

Who ever said the current marketing at Grambling was so great. If it was AL would still be there. I am alluding to the fact kids 21 and under still know about the G. I am speaking about the great potential that Grambling has. Nobody has said the work is easy, but the decision to do so is easy. Many schools would have a tough time trying to find something to market. And there is no constructive criticism here, because constructive criticism comes with advice. All I read is negatism, why it won't work. Peace...

MightyDog said:
TGee are you tell me that GSU went from 8500 students to 4,300 student in 2002? I am looking at the 2002 enrollment figures.

Exactly, Bad Leadership, Out of State Fees almost tripling, Probation

Negative Press will hurt you every time.

MightyDog said:
TGee, there is no hate here, but now that you mentioned fall 92, I understand you a little better. I have been to Grambling many times and even you agree that GSU is market better outside of Grambling than in Grambling. Even your alums wanted to see more home games, but it cuts down on revenue which means you have to be a road team.

Gram4life, are we talking employment for people out of work or do you need a leader who can lead?

I totally agree that you market Grambling outside of Grambling. Who in the hell are you going to market to in the city of Grambling. When I was at Grambling almost 50% of the students came from out of state. That made a very nice cultural mixed. I am big fan of taking the show on the road. We had students from every conrner of the US, New York to Cali, Washington state to Florida.

TGee said:
I totally agree that you market Grambling outside of Grambling. Who in the hell are you going to market to in the city of Grambling. When I was at Grambling almost 50% of the students came from out of state. That made a very nice cultural mixed. I am big fan of taking the show on the road. We had students from every conrner of the US, New York to Cali, Washington state to Florida.

Hence, my signature from 1998.....

Representing that file gumbo that eclectic flavor of GS GS GS UUU - I thought you knew! Students from every parish in Louisiana, 41 states, and 74 foreign countries!!!

GRAM4LIFE said:
You mean the first thing that hits the paper right???

I attended our last Board Meeting. Several new members were added to the board and I listen to them very carefully. They came with an agenda to get the President. Now here is what bother me about the meeting. The President gave an account of all is well with the budget and no programs are in trouble. Now suppose they find this not to be the true state of the University, then in my opinion they would have something to be upset about. They didn't hear none of this, but were bogged down in BS, told to them by those who does nothing for the university. I want them to be more concerned about obtaining more State funding for the University, finding revenue to raise salaries of the Faculty and Staff; than trying to fire the President. They made it plain that their job was to run the University, but I didn't hear them say what they were going to do for the University.

I hope Mr. Woods and the all these board members can increase the funding at all of our State Institutions.

Although Athletics is important, I also believe that academics can co-exist.

I believe we have to change the thinking of our leaders. The question I like to ask is what can you do to improve the situation and if it is not currently getting done who is responsible?

I hope in this state that we are never placed under a Alabama University System.

Back