Grambling Vs Jackson...A Trip Down Memory Lane

MikeBigg

I realize that I talk a lot of smack to yall over on the other page, but this is for real this time. I was thinking back to my earliest recollection of GSU vs Jackson State. Although I went to my first games starting when I was about 12 or 13 years old, I dont' really recall much about them in great detail.

But the game that I can first remember is the game in 1974 when Walter Payton lead the Blue Bengals into Grambling for a hard fought game. Man both teams were loaded with players. Grambling had future pros Gary "Big Hands" Johnson, James Hunter, Robert Pennywell, Sammie White, Dwight Scales and a young qb named Doug Williams. In addition to Payton, Jackson had Mr Jackie Slater, Vernon Perry, and (forgive my memory lapse) a linebacker named Robert something that played for the Oilers later on.

I was never so exhausted and drained after a game in my life. All game long we were screaming, "get him, get him, get him" as Payton would attack our defense all game long. On defense JSU was playing like men possessed. Somehow, we managed to win that game (held Payton to less than a hundred yards but you would have never thought so the way he was running).

I swear I've seen a lot of great players and individual efforts from SWAC athletes through the years. But I have never seen such an heroic effort from two teams in my life. Especially Walter Payton. Man that dude is the best college football player I ever saw in my life...and he rushed for less than 100 yards.

Ok, I'm headed back to the smack board!

Originally posted by MikeBigg
I realize that I talk a lot of smack to yall over on the other page, but this is for real this time. I was thinking back to my earliest recollection of GSU vs Jackson State. Although I went to my first games starting when I was about 12 or 13 years old, I dont' really recall much about them in great detail.

But the game that I can first remember is the game in 1974 when Walter Payton lead the Blue Bengals into Grambling for a hard fought game. Man both teams were loaded with players. Grambling had future pros Gary "Big Hands" Johnson, James Hunter, Robert Pennywell Sammie White, Dwight Scales and a young qb named Doug Williams. In addition to Payton, Jackson had Mr Jackie Slater, Vernon Perry, and (forgive my memory lapse) a linebacker named Robert something that played for the Oilers later on.

I was never so exhausted and drained after a game in my life. All game long we were screaming, "get him, get him, get him" as Payton would attack our defense all game long. On defense JSU was playing like men possessed. Somehow, we managed to win that game (held Payton to less than a hundred yards but you would have never thought so the way he was running).

I swear I've seen a lot of great players and individual efforts from SWAC athletes through the years. But I have never seen such an heroic effort from two teams in my life. Especially Walter Payton. Man that dude is the best college football player I ever saw in my life...and he rushed for less than 100 yards.

Ok, I'm headed back to the smack board!

Mike,

I think that is Carlos

JRock... it was Robert (Carlos's cousin) who later played middle linebacker for the Atl Falcon. Carlos was a freshman like me down a bit on the depth chart...although he didn't redshirt and actually got some playing time. The starter was Dwight Scales who played about 8 years in the league with the Giants and Rams. Scales is from Huntsville, Ala and was a three year starter at wide receiver. He was a junior that year and was backed up by two seniors (Greg Brown/BR and Edward Scott/S'port) plus Carlos Pennywell.

Not copying you bamas...just giving props to one of the best games I've ever witnessed in my life.

Now I remember...

The JSU linebacker was named Robert Brazile! Dude was a helluva football player.

These are the guys I remember who later played in that game and later went to the NFL.

GSU:
Gary "Big Hands" Johnson (Sr. DT)
Robert Barber (Sr DT)
Michael St. Clair (Jr. DE)
James Hunter (Jr CB)
Sammie White (Jr (WR)
Dwight Scales (Jr WR)
Bobby Simon (Jr OT)
Ron Singleton (Sr TE)
Doug Williams (frosh qb)
Mike Harris (soph CB)
JD Holmes (Jr. DE)
Carlos Pennywell (Fr WR)
William Bradford (Jr OG)

Copy off of BAMA's?????!!!!!!!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Re: Now I remember...

Originally posted by MikeBigg
The JSU linebacker was named Robert Brazile! Dude was a helluva football player.

These are the guys I remember who later played in that game and later went to the NFL.

GSU:
Gary "Big Hands" Johnson (Sr. DT)
Robert Barber (Sr DT)
Michael St. Clair (Jr. DE)
James Hunter (Jr CB)
Sammie White (Jr (WR)
Dwight Scales (Jr WR)
Bobby Simon (Jr OT)
Ron Singleton (Sr TE)
Doug Williams (frosh qb)
Mike Harris (soph CB)
JD Holmes (Jr. DE)
Carlos Pennywell (Fr WR)
William Bradford (Jr OG)

On a Walter Payton website it also lists these two guys that played with him at JSU and made NFL pro bowls teams:

Ricky Young
Jerome Barkham

Don't know if they played in that game but just thought I would add their names for reference. I like this sports history type stuff.

The next year, we went to Jackson and lost to JSU when Ricky Patten went wild. I had a homeboy who was a redshirt freshman on the 75 team who came back talking about Jackie Slater. He said, WC Gordon would move Slater to whatever side they wanted to run on and Patten would just follow him for big yardage!

Back