Grambling moves up as a 1st tier HBCU

I still don't see how anyone could take seriously a ranking system that has schools that are barely even open ranked in the top 10 (Fisk, Dillard, etc). In fact, the entire top 10 are private schools.

Congrats GRAMBLING! :tup: :tup: Thats great news! Continue the climb!

2011 Top 20 Rankings
1. Spelman
2. Howard
3. Morehouse
4. Hampton
5. Tuskegee
6. Xavier
7. Fisk
8. Claflin
9. Dillard
10. Tougaloo
11. North Carolina Central
12. Florida A&M
13. North Carolina A&T
14. South Carolina State
15. JACKSON STATE :weee:
15. Johnson C. Smith
17. Delaware
17. Elizabeth City
19. Winston-Salem
20. Morgan
20. Tennessee State

C'mon JSU... Operation "The Climb" is in effect.

More Ranked SWAC Schools
23. Alcorn
28. Alabama A&M
34. Grambling
34. Southern

For the Full List Click Here http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/hbcu-rankings

Last edited:
Yeah i see JSU jumped also. I'm all for seeing progress, happy Grambling is going in the right direction and with Dr. Pogue at the helm we will continue to get better without a doubt.

Last edited:
Yeah i see JSU jumped also. I'm all for seeing progress, happy Grambling is going in the right direction and with Dr. Pogue at the helm we will continue to get better without a doubt.

I'm actually Proud. We gotta get more back SWAC schools up top.
Ive been seeing you guys type "Dr. Pogue" a lot so hopefully thats a good thing.
I'm ready to see what our (JSU) new president is going to Bring to table.

Last edited:
Ive been seeing you guys type "Dr. Pogue" a lot so hopefully thats a good thing.
I hope when Alcorn's new president is selected, that he/she is ready to take them back in the right direction. They used to be ranked but slowly sank down...
Good/Solid and Long Term Leadership can get them back to where they used to be and then work on taking them higher than ever before.
Also I'm ready to see what our (JSU) new president is going to Bring to table.

Dr. Pogue is a positive individual and has brought a positive aurora back to campus. He's a people person and is big on academics, retention, community, alumni and building finances and every University he's worked at nothing but positive happened. He's a SWAC product also and since he has worked outside the SWAC he knows what it takes to get us on or above the level as Universities outside the SWAC.

I hope when Alcorn's new president is selected, that he/she is ready to take them back in the right direction. They used to be ranked but slowly sank down...
Good/Solid and Long Term Leadership can get them back to where they used to be and then work on taking them higher than ever before.
Also I'm ready to see what our (JSU) new president is going to Bring to table.
Alcorn is ranked No. 23

Congratulations JSU, TOP TIER. Congratulations to the other swac schools who are on the move, GSU, SU.
My goodness Texas Southern is ranked dead last with Univ of D.C. What is happening in Houston?

Last edited:
Congratulations JSU, TOP TIER. Congratulations to the other swac schools who are on the move, GSU, SU.
My goodness Texas Southern is ranked dead last with Univ of D.C. What is happening in Houston?

The survey must not be completed down there. If that's the case, then they got what they deserved.

Damn, I go on vacation and come back to this??!!! :upset:

With all due respect to Grambling, congratulations on your achievement - seriously. And congrats to Jackson State on your success as well. :tup:

But for SU to fall five notches - I'm not pleased with that crap at all!!!! Mason and Lomotey you're on the clock - get on it!!!

Damn, I go on vacation and come back to this??!!! :upset:

With all due respect to Grambling, congratulations on your achievement - seriously. And congrats to Jackson State on your success as well. :tup:

But for SU to fall five notches - I'm not pleased with that crap at all!!!! Mason and Lomotey you're on the clock - get on it!!!

Mason just got here...lol.

Guys, these rankings are based MAINLY on admissions test scores, graduation rates, and to a lesser extent, alumni giving. JSU has been stuck ranked at about 20 for years even when we were one of like 3 Research-based HBCUs in the nation. However, when our graduation rate dayum near doubled, we moved up :idea:. Southern is increasing admission standards and that should improve graduation rate. JSU's graduation rate has probably reached it's ceiling unless we raise admission standards (which would go against the Ayers decision) so we will probably never reach top 10 status. Private schools reach top 10 status because they can be more selective...maybe not by much but by some. Private schools can only accept so many students.

Back