Grambling, how much yall paying Hardman?

Da_Sperm

This is the second year in a row this fool is starting the 3rd team QB in the RRC. I just be DA#*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arkansas-Pine Bluff will have a new starting quarterback for its biggest game of the season Saturday.

UAPB Coach Lee Hardman said Sunday afternoon after a light practice session that junior quarterback Fred Leonard will replace junior transfer LaKendrick Powell as the starter against Grambling State Saturday night in the Red River Classic in Shreveport, La.

"We are looking at giving Leonard a chance this week," Hardman said. "As of right now, if he continues to practice well and improve, he will start. If not, (LaKendrick) Powell or (Roger) Linn will start.

"I think he is going to play well because he really wants this opportunity. The key thing with Leonard is he knows the offense. That is why we put him in last night for the fact he knows the offense. He has been around, and he is the most experienced guy we got. We're going to give him an opportunity to play."

Leonard took over in the second half of the Golden Lions' 28-22 victory of Texas Southern University Saturday night.

Powell was 1 for 5 for 53 yards with an interception. He picked up 17 rushing yards and scored a short touchdown in the first half.

Leonard was 1 for 8 for 14 yards passing and picked up just two yards on the ground. He also fumbled the ball away after the defense caused a fumble on the Texas Southern 30-yard line.

Hardman said he expects Leonard to improve since he hasn't been getting as many reps in practice. He was listed as the No. 3 quarterback on the depth chart behind Powell and senior Roger Linn. Leonard did start three games last season, so he knows what is expected. Still, he will be thrown into the fire against a Grambling defense that is ranked No. 1 in the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

"We just need to be more consistent," Hardman said. "We were moving the ball, and then we made some mistakes. We need to correct those and keep moving the football and get the momentum. If we do that, I think we can move the ball on Grambling. We have to throw the ball. We didn't throw the ball very well."

The UAPB defense has a tall order as well, as the Tigers now boast a potent running attack, which is No. 2 in the SWAC.

Junior Brad Hill has run for over 500 yards and nine touchdowns in four games.

"They are running it more this year," Hardman said. "The back (Brad Hill) they have is leading the SWAC in rushing. They are trying to run the ball a little more and play a little bit more of possession ball. Plus, they have big linemen that think they can really pound you. We feel good we can do something to stop that."

Sunday's short practice was devoted to working on cleaning up some areas and studying Grambling's offensive and defensive plan of attack.

"We just went over the mistakes we made last night to get ready for Grambling a little bit," Hardman said.

"We made a bunch of mistakes. One was handling the football. I was thinking back on Ron Johnson, and I don't remember him fumbling. He fumbled twice last night. He had a pad on his arm, and I think the pad made the ball a little bit slick. Normally, Ron doesn't fumble the ball. We also had the play where Mark (Bradley) tried to pick the ball up on a punt on the one-yard line. We also had some problems on the center exchange to Fred (Leonard). Those are mistakes we talked about and want to correct."

Hardman told his team after practice that not many people expect UAPB to beat Grambling but he said, "I think we have a real chance of beating Grambling.'

"I think, generally speaking, people expect Grambling to win," Hardman said. "I think it works to our advantage. I think the players understand we have to step it up and get ready. I think that is going to pay off for us."

Worm Please.......

Your coach is settin' y'all up for a BIGG Let Down.....SMH....... We are not Jackson State or TiSsUe!!!! We are Greatness.....Hardman's country comments will make your team look bad....It'll just like the Rams and Lions on Monday Night Football....Y'all tried but y'all don't have what it takes.....Peanut Butta!!!!!!!!!!!! Betta brang some pig feet and have a good time tailgatin'!!!!!!!!! You won't win!!!!!!!!:emlaugh:

Originally posted by Da_Sperm

Leonard took over in the second half of the Golden Lions' 28-22 victory of Texas Southern University Saturday night.

Powell was 1 for 5 for 53 yards with an interception. He picked up 17 rushing yards and scored a short touchdown in the first half.

Leonard was 1 for 8 for 14 yards passing and picked up just two yards on the ground. He also fumbled the ball away after the defense caused a fumble on the Texas Southern 30-yard line.

Umm with stats like this....I would think you would be looking for QB's at band practice....

Don't let the stat fool you. The 1 for 5 was first half stats only. There were 2 punts returned for touchdowns in the first quarter and a third punt returned for 53 yards in the second. The offense saw limited time in the first half.

Not to excuse that we are trying too hard to stick with the running game that worked so good last year.

DaSperm:
I think Hardman realizes how pitiful UAPB' s passing offense is this year. This is the worst passing offense in the SWAC so a QB change is a good idea.

Originally posted by Da_Sperm

Arkansas-Pine Bluff will have a new starting quarterback for its biggest game of the season Saturday.

Leonard did start three games last season, so he knows what is expected. Still, he will be thrown into the fire against a Grambling defense that is ranked No. 1 in the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

Sunday's short practice was devoted to working on cleaning up some areas and studying Grambling's offensive and defensive plan of attack.

Your coach is very smart. Smart enough to recognize that this will be the biggest game of the season. Why? Because you will be faced with GREATNESS. So GREAT that he recognizes that the players will be thrown into the "fire" against the No.1 ranked GREATNESS defense (his words not mine) and you must be devoted to studying the GREATNESS "attack". I like your coach. He should be around awhile based on his ability to decipher the truth and commitment to studying to show the team worthy to be faced with Greatness. We'll be sure to give him a great study guide on Saturday to study for the next attack we will launch when we meet.

Back