Grad School Vs. Under-Grad

SIR_GRAM

Legend
I keep hearing that Graduate school is way harder than Undergrad.. Coursework and classes that is!

Is it true.

People say the courses you take in undergrad are like 2 times harder in Grad school? Is it true?

It would be safe to assume that the rigor of graduate school is increased, or there would be no need for advanced studies. Each level of education is more advanced than the prior level. 9th grade is/should be "harder" or more rigourous than 8th grade.

As far as how the difficulty measures up or is compared, it is a personal assesment.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
More in-depth courses with higher expectations of professional work from instructors.

You gotta work harder... and it is more thorough.

It also depends on your level of academic prowess. If you barely scraped through undergraduate, you will need to rededicate yourself to doing the work required by the graduate school. In short, it is not harder, but the work is REAL. If you are asked to do a 15 page paper, it better be 15 pages, done in the correct format, and turned in on time. Otherwise, you may be looking to repeat the course or change your academic aspirations.

Graduate school was easier for me. Why one may ask:

I went to college at 17. Consequently, I had no experience in my discipline and had to learn theory. In addition to the aforementioned, my discipline had room for growth. In contrast, I went to Grad School over 20 years later. Hence, I had a wealth of practical experience. Further, in many instances, I had already applied a great deal of the theory. To add to this, my discipline level had grown tremendously, became more assertive over the years, and I was a much more mature person. Graduate school was more of a honing process for me. I believe that it is not a one experience fit all situation. There is so much more that can be stated about this topic. I hope the aforementioned helps.

Grad school has been easier for me for a number of reasons and like someone said earlier its a professional enviroment and I believe there is a more in-dept emphasis on the subjects. Some of these classes that I have taken in undergrad, I have taken grad school. To me it is more is expected out of you because your trying to "master" what ever your studying.

Truely, the biggest difference of the two is the amount of research needed to conduct research papers.

Other things that are making it easier for me is the following:

1. No more living the undergrad bachelor life.:banana::sperm:
2. Not being an athlete (I played baseball)
3. Knowing this degree will pay off in the long run (bonuses, higher pay)
4. Smaller classes and better interaction with professors (At the end of the semester we all go out to drinks with our professors)
5. Fellow students are more focused and have a goal in mind with the program. (No one's slacking and they are there for a purpose)

Graduate school was easier for me. Why one may ask:

I went to college at 17. Consequently, I had no experience in my discipline and had to learn theory. In addition to the aforementioned, my discipline had room for growth. In contrast, I went to Grad School over 20 years later. Hence, I had a wealth of practical experience. Further, in many instances, I had already applied a great deal of the theory. To add to this, my discipline level had grown tremendously, became more assertive over the years, and I was a much more mature person. Graduate school was more of a honing process for me. I believe that it is not a one experience fit all situation. There is so much more that can be stated about this topic. I hope the aforementioned helps.

Great post JROCK and I concur.

Depending on when you enter graduate school you may have a different experience than the next person. A person entering grad school directly after undergrad has no work experience to compare or reflect on as they are learning in grad school. On the other hand, those that wait 5, 10 or 20 years have more work experience and bring a totally different mindset to their coursework.

Overall, I think perspective may play a part on whether one sees grad school as more difficult or not.

Great post JROCK and I concur.

Depending on when you enter graduate school you may have a different experience than the next person. A person entering grad school directly after undergrad has no work experience to compare or reflect on as they are learning in grad school. On the other hand, those that wait 5, 10 or 20 years have more work experience and bring a totally different mindset to their coursework.

Overall, I think perspective may play a part on whether one sees grad school as more difficult or not.

I would have dropped my courses if I had gone to grad school @ 21. I had to take the hard road and realized that school is the lesser of the evils. I look @ my classmates like they are crazy when they complain. Most of them don't even take a full load, and they complain. I would recommend that a person only take 2 classes the first semester in a program. I did not heed this advice and took 4 classes. Although I did well in all of them, I had to hump in the last month due to faulty prioritizing. Buy a PDA, if you do not have one. Input EVERYTHING. You can not afford to miss any deadline(s).

The writing part is what killed me. I hated writing all those papers. Case study here, case study there, then research papers to go along with the case studies.

You guys are making the question personal, and I understand that it may be easier for some than it is for others. But his question was simply about the difficulty of grad schol in relation to undergrad. Everyone will have a different opinion of how difficult it was for them to complete the graduate program, factors like academic ability, maturation, location, life situation, etc. will all come into play. But I am sure that we can all agree the requirements were more rigourous than undergrad.

I am assuming that is what he was asking. But maybe he did want more personal examples. But like Jrock said....perspective.

For me it was more intense than undergrad and I took 5 classes a semester which on their scale equated to 20 hours a semester. Year 2 was way better as you could concentrate in a major and only had 4 classes (16 hours) each semester.

To me undergrad was harder but more was expected of me in graduate school.In grad school, I focused on social work and social work issues but in undergrad,I had to be a jack of all trades and I didn't care very much for some of those trades.

You guys are making the question personal, and I understand that it may be easier for some than it is for others. But his question was simply about the difficulty of grad schol in relation to undergrad. Everyone will have a different opinion of how difficult it was for them to complete the graduate program, factors like academic ability, maturation, location, life situation, etc. will all come into play. But I am sure that we can all agree the requirements were more rigourous than undergrad.

I am assuming that is what he was asking. But maybe he did want more personal examples. But like Jrock said....perspective.

In that case I will answer the question.. .

No graduate school is not 2 times harder than undergraduate. It is just a natural continuation.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I keep hearing that Graduate school is way harder than Undergrad.. Coursework and classes that is!

Is it true.

People say the courses you take in undergrad are like 2 times harder in Grad school? Is it true?

Undergraduate School is harder. In graduate school, all the coursework or curriculum was related, but in undergraduate the different subjects that I was required to take did not have the same type of relationship as my graduate courses.

Back