Gospel Music

YES YES YES. You have to pay to attend because the money can help go toward:

1) The musicians that are playing.
They have bills too(gas, food, lodging, other travel, they have families to support, several other expenses) We can't expect them to do their thing for 'free' just because ministry is involved. The Bible CLEARLY teaches that a man should always be PAID for his wages and that only UNJUST people would keep their money from them that they deserve. Many of them, this is all they do so they need income.

2) Musicians have to pay expenses for the use of buildings, security, other workers, etc.

3) My church sometimes gives free concerts and has speakers come to speak that have 'speaker fees' but our church won't charge people to get in. Not every church, however, has the ability to do that.
Finances are different at every church. If your church can pick the bill for the concerts without help from the members(charge @ door) than great. If not, we pay for everything else that we want if life so we shouldn't have a problem paying for something REALLY worth wild.

Quality, many times, cost money. Especially Ministry.

nevaehinvesting

I wasn't going to post but I thought about it and had to. My Answer: Yes and No. Yes - If the concert is in a concert hall, i.e. Here in Houston there is an arena that host concerts of all types. If the concert is in one of these type buildings then Yes.

No - If the concert is in a church. I just cant not pay to go into the house of the Lord. Would I pay to witness to the speaking of Pastor T. D. Jakes? Yes and No, Yes if it was in a concert hall. No - if he was speaking at a church.

That is my $19.14 Cents worth .
Doc.:D

A resounding yes

I say yes, because whether the concerts held at a church or some other type of venue it takes money to run those things...ie lights and sound. I don't think there is any church out there that is operating for free......

:eek: :eek:

Jelli,
We are talking about a concert not the church.:) I know the church needs money to pay their bills, but the church dont need a concert.

Ok, I understand that but you typed
No - If the concert is in a church. I just cant not pay to go into the house of the Lord. Would I pay to witness to the speaking of Pastor T. D. Jakes? Yes and No, Yes if it was in a concert hall. No - if he was speaking at a church.
Why wouldn't you want to pay to see a concert at a church? I was saying that if the concert was held at a church then why not pay. The church needs money too.

That's what I was saying...:)

We had a concert in our church... Tickets were sold ahead of time. The monies raised was given to the young girls ministry at our church...

My choir director at the time was releasing a new album...

The church's primary goal or function is the worshiping of the Lord. That is one reason why we dedicate the scantuary to the Lord. It is a House of Worship. If that concert sole purpose is to worship God then why pay? We can worship for free, then give an offering for the support of the church ie utilities and other stuff.
But to pay to go into a church to hear Fred Hammond play that Bass guitar, I just cant do. That is not the purpose of the church scanuary.

I'm with MsJag4Jag

Just my opinion from experience:

We can worship for free, then give an offering for the support of the church ie utilities and other stuff.

Depending on your church's financial status, selling tickets may be the only option you have to make sure everything/one gets paid. A lot of artist require a minimum amount of money to come do a concert. Fred Hammond will want a predetermined amount of money, not what your church fells he should get. The artist set the price in most cases. If you say, "hold on Fred, we not going to pay you your price but instead we're going to take up a love offering for you. let's see how much you're gonna get paid tonight" If the price isn't right Fred might dance like David on your head, depending on how much you
raise.

I'm not saying offerings don't work or can't work, but I can definitely understand charging people especially if your church is not able to pay the artists' fees. My church has done free & non-free concerts in the past.

....then give an offering for the support of the church ie utilities and other stuff.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Trust me, the light/mortgage company DOES NOT want to hear this(smile), you pay the price they give you, not the one you try to raise. everything cost.

nevaehinvesting

:)

Right nevaehinvesting, I see nothing wrong with paying to see a concert in a sanctuary....just cuz you pay doesn't mean you can't worship....Fred has bills too....

TD Jakes came to the AstroArena through Pastor Montgomery's church "New Light" ... HE had Vicki Winans, TD Jakes...several other headliner names ALL for free...

Who paid for all them to fly to Houston...their hotel rooms...etc... Well they took up a collection... on faith... they did not rake in enough to even pay for the AstroArena...so they took up another collection...

This has nothing to do with a church being restrictive. I dont believe that you should pay to enter a church.

"hold on Fred, we not going to pay you your price but instead we're going to take up a love offering for you. let's see how much you're gonna get paid tonight"

Yes, i am sure if you asked Fred Hammond to do a free concert or even a cheap concert at a small church, he will turn you down. I agree with that, he must make a living and that is his source of income. But, a church can rent out a concert hall or even have it at a fellowship hall. Maybe not the Compaq center but something smaller and cheaper.

All i am doing is answering the question. I dont think it is right to pay to enter the house of the Lord.:D

Example of restricitve: my old small town church's rule "don't charge to come in the church to worship"

Non-restrictive: pay for the concert at the church and still worship"

I'm glad I don't attend a church that sets those restrictions.

Can a person worship whether he/she pays or doesn't pay?

If the concert or message intended purpose is to bring souls to God I say no to a charge. The bible tell us that salvation will cost you nothing, because Jesus paid it all.

If the intended purpose is entertainment I have no problem with someone charging.

Jesus taught a man should be paid for his or her wages.

Remember: They're not charging people to get saved, that's impossible because it's free, they're charging to pay mortgages, light bills, entertainer travel expenses, etc... Besides, there's a good church on every other corner open everyday some one thing or another so charging will not prevent anyone from having a chance to get saved who truely has desire.

nevaehinvesting

Back