Good News From The Hill: Hbcu's To Get Some $$$$$$ For Repairs

PRINCE HALL

SOURCE: THE CHRONICLE of HIGHER EDUCATION
6-14-02

Two Bills in Congress Seek Funds for Repairs at Historically Black Colleges
By RICHARD MORGAN

Washington, D.C.

Two Senate Democrats introduced legislation on Wednesday that would direct federal funds toward
restoring and preserving facilities at historically black colleges and universities, many of which have
properties in disrepair.

The bill, S 2613, introduced by Sens. Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut and Zell Miller of Georgia,
mirrors legislation introduced last year in the U.S. House of Representatives. That legislation, HR
1606, was sponsored by Rep. James E. Clyburn, a South Carolina Democrat.

"Despite playing a central role in our economy, society, and culture, HBCU's have been physically
eroding for years," Mr. Lieberman said at a news conference attended by all three lawmakers. "The
architectural beauty of these historic sites," he added, "is a sign of something deeper -- the fact that
HBCU's have served as critical portals of opportunity for African-Americans throughout our history.
That's why they deserve our protection and sensitive preservation."

Mr. Lieberman acknowledged that he is an unlikely advocate of historically black colleges, as
Connecticut has no such institutions. However, he said that he became interested in restoration
efforts after touring some historically black colleges with Mr. Clyburn in April. Those campus visits
convinced him that "more had to be done to realize the ideal of equality," he said, adding: "I don't
know how you could be against" restoration and preservation.

A 1996 law, under which the federal government covered half of the costs of restorations and the
institutions footed the other half, gave historically black colleges a one-time sum of $29-million. With
that money spent, college leaders and education lobbyists are pushing for similar legislation that
would be continually renewed; the bills introduced by Mr. Clyburn and his Senate counterparts
achieve that.

The new legislation, in addition to requiring periodic renewals of the program, also would adjust the
cost-sharing formula so that the government would pay 70 percent and the colleges only 30 percent.
Additionally, if a college were too poor to pay 30 percent of the costs, a provision would allow a
waiver in which the National Park Service, which manages historical sites, would be able to pay the
college's share.

According to a General Accounting Office report in 1998, there are 103 historically black colleges,
located in 22 states and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Those institutions, which have a total enrollment of
more than 300,000 students this year, have 712 properties in need of repairs at a total cost of
$755-million. Of those buildings, according to Mr. Clyburn, 206 are qualified to be part of the National
Register of Historic Places, although they were not listed as having any such recognition at the time of
the 1998 report.:confused: :mad: :p :D

That's Good News

Great to hear Uncle Sam's givin' us back a little of the green we give to him.

Speakin' of the Hill ( sorry, I really did think you were referring to A&M at first :D ) I was very happy to see them restoring some very old buildings up there when I was at my reunion in May. There are some buildings that have been in shambles for decades that are finally getting refurbished and reused. NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN BOUT!!! I'm glad they've decided to do something other than let those buildings sit & rot there. Either tear 'em down or build 'em up. And send in the Washington funds!! :D :D :D

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back