EB

Registration is needed.

-----

Just sit right back and you'll hear ... the truth
'Real Gilligan' star is a phony psychologist

By ANDREA JONES
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 06/22/05

Reality TV star Tiy-E Muhammad's r?sum? has more holes than the S.S. Minnow after the weather started getting rough and the tiny ship was tossed.

The former Clark Atlanta University associate professor turned castaway on TBS' "The Real Gilligan's Island" has called himself a psychologist on his Web site and book jacket covers, yet he is not licensed to practice psychology in Georgia or anywhere else.

Kara Sinkule, a spokeswoman for the Georgia secretary of state's office, said Muhammad, known as "The Love Doctor" on a local radio station, could face misdemeanor criminal charges.

Claiming you are a psychologist without a license is illegal, she said.

Muhammad, 35, says he's a doctor, but he didn't earn a Ph.D. in psychology at the school from which he has said he graduated, school records show. In fact, he attended Southern Illinois University for just one semester as an unspecified graduate student, said SIU spokesman Tom Woolf.

Muhammad said he left Clark Atlanta, where he was an associate professor in the psychology department for four years, because he wasn't paid enough and he "no longer felt that spark" from teaching. School officials said he left after they discovered his credentials were bogus.

Wearing crisp white pants, an embroidered denim blue shirt and black leather Gucci sandals, Muhammad signed two of his books on relationships ? published under his own Man II Man Inc. imprint ? and autographed black-and-white headshots of himself labeled "Dr. Tiy-E Psychologist/Author" in large letters.

"If you go to bed at night not feeling comfortable with who you are, I feel sorry for you," he told the group of about 20 women, flashing a dimpled smile. "Everyone should love themselves."

'Ricki Lake' regular

Charismatic and handsome, Muhammad first attracted national attention as a regular on the syndicated "Ricki Lake Show" as a "resident relationship expert" in 2002. He made numerous appearances on the talk show over the next two years while teaching at Clark Atlanta. School administrators would not comment on how Muhammad got his job with a faked r?sum? or why he was allowed to teach for so long.

Both Jet and Ebony magazines quoted Muhammad as a psychologist and relationship expert in articles dating back to 2001. In 2003, Ebony named him one of 26 "Best Bachelors of the Year." Ebony officials declined to comment this week, saying they had not had an opportunity to check into the matter.

In the last five years, Muhammad has spoken on dozens of college campuses around the country, from Georgia Tech to Notre Dame. He said he gets 50 to 75 e-mails a day through his Web site, www.onelovepoet.com, asking for relationship advice.

Muhammad co-hosts with Ramona Debreaux on HOT 107.9 a Wednesday morning radio show on relationships.

Former Clark Atlanta University student Ivory Jones, who graduated with a minor in psychology in 2000, said students often questioned Muhammad's teaching methods.

"It seemed more like he wanted to come across as a ladies' man and not as a legit professor," Jones said. "He's really attractive and well-spoken. I guess that's why he was able to carry it off for so long."

Whatever is in Darkness, shall soon come to light.

It dont pay to lie, trust me.

I know him personally as a frat and a professor.
All of this is new to me... I guess you never know who you are dealing with.

Even with the false background.... I think he is a very good person. I am still in awe but hey I will not judge him.

He probably had the most popular classes on campus at Clark Atlanta. His classes would fill to capacity less than 1 hour after registration opened. The ladies love Tiy-e.

http://www.onelovepoet.com

Fortitude said:
Re-phrase your question; I don't understand what you're trying to ask.

I didnt think that Police backgrounds check Education?
That was my question.

I know when I filled out the application for my current job, they wanted proof of my education at AAMU. I had to send both a copy of my diploma and a stamped transcript from the bucsars office.

Fraterities and Sororities want stamped transcripts from the school to make sure the person/persons are current or graduate students from an accredited College/University.

Bluephijsu: Im not trying to funny, but make sure he is a member of your Frat. All of us has guys that clip through the cracks and are not Bruhz/Soros.

If he was this damn smart to fool folks this long...why didnt his smart behind finish his degree? He knew somebody would tell once he got on Gilligan's Island. Bet I know who is next to leave the island...

BandFan said:
That was my question.

There are several types of background checks. Criminal (police), Credit Checks, Educational and Personal Checks.

BandFan said:
That was my question.

I know when I filled out the application for my current job, they wanted proof of my education at AAMU. I had to send both a copy of my diploma and a stamped transcript from the bucsars office.
Where I work we do background checks that INCLUDE verifying your education. Now, one of the depts. I work closely with is the Police department & not only do they do educational background checks, they also interview your family, friends, and neighbors & YOU among a long laundry list of "checks" civilians & sworn alike.

At my prior job, the company that did the backgrounds for us would also do research verifying your high school transcript(s) in their investigation.

Back