Gay Black Republican Leaves Party: 'I Was Betrayed'

Olde Hornet

Ricky Gervais Lol GIF

He received expected behavior.

Smith, a longtime conservative commentator, announced he now identifies as "politically homeless" during an episode of his podcast Can't Cancel Rob Smith titled "I Was Betrayed—Rob Smith Speaks Out" on Monday.

Smith shared a video on social media in December that he said showed him at an event in Phoenix being "confronted and surrounded by some White Supremacists that don't like gays or blacks in the Republican Party." He said the group hurled racist and homophobic slurs at him, and he later told CNN he was a victim of a hate crime.

The event was hosted by Republicans for National Renewal, a conservative advocacy group, which previously told Newsweek that "harassment of any attendees at our events is not permitted or condoned."

Smith described the heckling last December as a key point for his political evolution on Monday. Still, he noted that he remains a "right-leaning person" and will continue sharing his views on political issues.

"When the Rob Smith story is being told about this entire political evolution, let it be known that the Phoenix is very much a catalyst of my evolution completely away from the Republican Party," he said, adding that he will continue to work with some Republicans on issues he believes in.

Back