GAO Finds Lagging Student Outcomes at For-Profits

jsupop33

Loyalty & Respect
The Government Accountability Office on Wednesday released the latest in a recent series of reports requested as part of Sen. Tom Harkin's continuing investigation into for-profit higher education, with this one focused on student outcomes. The new GAO report, which leaned heavily on a research study examined in an Inside Higher Ed article Wednesday, finds that the colleges lag other institutions in student unemployment, borrowing rates, debt loads, loan default rates and licensing exam pass rates, but performed better on certificate program completion rates and had similar outcomes in associate degree graduation rates and student earnings.

Read more: http://www.insidehighered.com/quick...agging-student-outcomes-profits#ixzz1fxdK0a7A
Inside Higher Ed

I don't know exactly what is meant by that statement, I didn't want my children working or borrowing money while in college; I know most of my friends had the same attidude.

The GAO report acknowledged that it is difficult to compare the performance of for-profits with public and private nonprofit institutions, because the industry enrolls a "higher proportion of low-income, minority and nontraditional students who face challenges that can affect their educational outcomes

Read more: http://www.insidehighered.com/quick...agging-student-outcomes-profits#ixzz1fyZwr0qf
Inside Higher Ed

So do most HBCUs and HSIs, but we are still scrutinized and compared to outher private and public institutions. Compare all institutions equally or not at all.

My biggest concern is the level of support services these schools provide, seeing that they have an overwhelming number of poor students. Seven of the top ten schools for pell grant recipients were for-profits last year.

What do you mean by support services?

Student support, tutoring, therapist, advisors, etc... the normal you would get on a Brick and Mortar campus. Looking at the debt default rate for some of these schools will raise your eyebrows.

My concern is these schools basically ripping off a bunch of poor students with low entry standards and high tuition.

Ah. I see.

You're concerned that these students may need more than just computer based class assignments.

Yeah. I think you have a good point there.

How many of these students are first generation college students and don't know how to make that transition from college to the workforce if they succeed in getting a degree? How many simply don't know how to be successful in college? How to study. How to do research. How to manage their time. How to network. You see that a lot even on traditional campuses.

I think you're right. Too many people think a piece of paper called a degree is a ticket to a better life. When, actually, a degree is a set of knowledge and skills that COULD help you earn a better life. The key is making sure they have the knowledge and skills and not just the paper. If they get the paper at all.

Last edited:
and honestly, a lot of these students could and should be at HBCU's. Which is why I lobby so hard for us to expand our programs.

Back