Gang (esp those from MS, GA) see this on rural poverty in south.

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
Go to this sight quickly before it is gone (but i have all the articles and will post otherwise).

They are talking about creating a regional commission much like the Appalachian Commission (or the TVA back in the early 1900s) that would try to address rural poverty in the Black Belt region of the deep south.

This all touches on many of my frustrations with Alabama and our lack of emphasis on economic development/education except in select areas.

There are all kinds of political angles you can take on this, but the bottom line as far as i'm concerned is somehow the poorest regions of this state/the south (which are predominantly black) have to be revitalized. How is the question, but I think this is a good start. That may be debatable.

oops, here's the site,,,,

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/

See article, "Sowing new seeds in a barren Black Belt" and other 3 or 4.

There's another world that's out there that we only visit during Xmas/thanks giving/funerals/family re-unions,, but some of us still live close enough to get involved.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
B, thanks. I have traveled to and from Georgia to Texas and Louisiana most of my life. Yes, I have a few relatives in Dallas County, AL and have a lot of them in middle Georgia. My roots there, middle GA, go back before the Civil War.

Our people, particularly those who live there and who have lived there, must be a part of the decision-making process.

I have been through the rural areas of Georgia, especially south and middle, countless of times. Trust me. The poverty is real. I hope that the politicians really recognize it too and are not paying lip service.

Back