Future of the SWAC- will we bring everybody?

I don't believe most college or even pro coordinators get to hire their own position coaches. I don't see Bill O'Brian bringing in any new position coaches at Alabama since he's been hired as the OC. Usually that is set up by the head coach but even in some instances they have to take the coaches the GM/AD tell them to keep.

I don't agree with that philosophy. If you have a DC that you're holding accountable, he should have the autonomy to bring in some coaches that share his philosophy and vision. Of course in the final analysis the head coach in most instances would have to endorse it. From what I heard on Orgeron's interview, their new DC will be focusing on DB(s). That doesn't sound like a DC to me. It sounds like a bonified position coach with a title ripe to be a scapegoat. BTW, Orgeron's problems at Ole Miss occurred because of his micro-management and spreading himself too thin. IMHO, he is headed back in that direction. One has to let people do the job that they're hired for. Like I said previously though, it's still early, we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Back