froom the out side looking in

shrek01

when in high school you always had your eye on a band program and thought that is was the shiznit. Of course then you were on the outside looking in. when you joined that particular band did you outlook change now that you were on the inside looking out. speak ya mind

This is a good question.

I would have to say that I found the org I participated in met all my expectations. Although there were other bands just as competitive, I was very pleased in the choice I made.

:D

Yeah....honestly,.. when I came to Grambling I felt I was playing along side stars. I was in musical amazement. The practices was very hard work. There was no free rides. You just couldn't walk in, You had to work and earn it. Through that hard work, I developed friendship with countless people who shared in the hard work. We had a serious band family bond. I sometimes wondered why we kept on practicing the same moves over and over again every single day. I felt we was waisting time and could learn something else. They taught me DETAIL. Take it slowly and gradually speed it up with the objective of establishing unifornity in every aspect of Marching Band. We worked on it so much that I was dreaming about it. I appreciate it now because that's how I govern different aspects of my life now. The foundation has to be SOLID. If you get in a hurry and omit the basic fundamentals in order to acheive a short term fix. You are killing yourself slowly but surely in the long term.

Me personally, I didn't go to the band I had my eye on, which was J-State, reason being that most of the nigs from my high school band was going there, so I wanted to be different, and Pick UAPB, which I stumbled upon by Graham poppin up at the high school during practice, oh and we went to 1 of their homecomings and won first place.

GBNF
D.G. "You know my"Steez

Actually I went to Grambling because it was the closest HBCU near my home. There were some things I like about the band and there were many others that I didn't. I'm beginning to like it more now though. Once you get there you make do with what you have.

wel personally.........i was going to go to jstate, being that both my parents went there, my mom wanted me to go to alcorn because my bother and sister went there, but like Gio said, most of the dudes i graduated with went to either uapb,tennessee state, jsu,and some went to valley:eek2: .....but i was the only one who chose to go to southern........by myself........i have been in awe of my band since 1997 when i first saw them........it was crazy.....cause i was jackson bound.......until i saw that hurting jackson got in 97........and since i been in the band i found out that a few of the rumors that nigras used to tell me to scare me so i would come to their schools, werent true at all..........ive heard all kinds of falsehoods about my band before i got in it....but to no avail, i still went......................and i never regret going..........................................

Originally posted by Dwayne
Even though I don't like Grambling's style, what you said pertaining to practice I agree with.
just like ,..."Now faith cometh by hearing and hearing,... until you have heard and heard and heard the Word Of God". The same principles.:nod2: :nod2: :nod2:

I came from a corp style school, so my perception of the PV or any show stlye band was a lot of dancing. I was in for a rude awakening when band camp started. I never knew how behind I was with rudiments, stamina, and just all around playing. It took a while, but I caught on. I'm glad I made the choice of PV. I could have went to North Texas, or another corp school, but I never would have gotten the experience that I have received. No regrets!

I would have to agree with my crab brother Crunchy! I also came from a corp style school but I had always know about PV band and I like they way that they did there half-time show! My high school was known for there sports especially football! I am glad that I made that choice to go to PV and become a memeber of the Marching Storm cause they have taught me alot of new things that I can use later on in life! When I got there to PV I had alot to get caught up on especially when it came to playing my horn? My high school was not all about each section battling and blowing songs! We were known for technical things and when I got to PV I had to adapt to those around me especially my crab brother's(Willowridge, Smiley, Forest Brook, Sterling,etc) but I am the type of person that can adapt to any situation that I am in! So I have a different aspect of my band now than I did before I became a member of the Marching Storm!

Fall '01
TNT/MST

Me coming from a corp style high school I really didn't think highly of HBCU bands. I thought that the players in the band had pretty much not talent at all until I got there. They proved me wrong, but they weren't that great at that school. So now I will be transferring to another school, and just trying to leave the SIAC and they boring bands behing. SWAC HERE I COME!!!!

Music is interpretation. I would never consider the oldheads in any band as stars. Maybe more experienced but not stars. It is marching band. Rank and file, uniformity as interpretation. Could the program I'm in be better than when I saw it when I was younger and now....of course. However, I understand that sometimes your college experience won't be what everyone else's was or what you expected. You just have to excel wherever you go.

Originally posted by Crunchy B
I believe nick cannon could make it into the SU's drum section...

please spare me the b..spat He would have gotten his head waxed the first week in SU's band. I believe crab week would have gotten rid of him.

Back