Former Lakers coach Phil Jackson details clashes with Kobe Bryant

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
Former Lakers coach Phil Jackson details clashes with Kobe Bryant

October 12, 2004
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Former Lakers coach Phil Jackson called his relationship with Kobe Bryant at times a ``psychological war'' and sought to trade Bryant in January, according to Jackson's diary, an excerpt of which will be published in next week's issue of Los Angeles magazine.

The diary of the 2003-2004 season, entitled ``The Last Season: A Team in Search of Its Soul,'' will be published by Penguin Press and is due out later this month.

Jackson said the strain between him and Bryant led him to hire a therapist to consult with during the season, according to the Los Angeles Times, which printed excerpts from the magazine article in its Tuesday edition.

``I do know that there were many occasions this year when I felt like there was a psychological war going on between us,'' Jackson wrote. ``Amazingly, we came to a truce, even to a higher level of trust. Ultimately, though, I don't believe we developed enough trust between us to win a championship.''

Jackson wrote he became so frustrated with Bryant that he told General Manager Mitch Kupchak in January, ``I won't coach this team next year if he is still here. He won't listen to anyone. I've had it with this kid.''

It was not the first time Jackson requested the team trade Bryant. He sought to trade him to the Phoenix Suns for Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion in the 1999-2000 season.

But then-general manager Jerry West told Jackson that owner Jerry Buss would never trade the Laker star, he wrote in his diary. Jackson said he was told the same thing last season.

During last week's training camp, Bryant said he misses Jackson.

``We've had our tough times, we had our share of arguments, but I've always respected him as a coach,'' he said.

Jackson became exasperated with the feuding between Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal.

``At times the pettiness between the two of them can be unbelievably juvenile,'' he wrote.

Jackson wrote that Bryant was angry that O'Neal received allowances from the Lakers organization, but that ``nobody this year, or in any year I've coached, has received more 'allowances' than Kobe Bryant.''

Among those allowances was the Lakers organization's partial payment for the private jets Bryant took to Colorado for the hearings in his rape case.

Bryant complained about the type of plane he was given to fly to Colorado, Jackson wrote, adding ``He should feel fortunate that he's not footing the bill himself.''

Jackson said he became conditioned to blame Bryant, even when it wasn't the player's fault.

The sexual assault charge against Bryant was dismissed last month at his accuser's request, but he still faces a civil lawsuit filed in Denver by the woman.

Bryant told Jackson that O'Neal's presence on the team would affect his decision to stay with the Lakers, adding, ``I'm tired of being a sidekick,'' Jackson wrote.

Bryant has said he had no role in either Jackson or O'Neal's departure from the team. Jackson retired, and O'Neal was traded to the Miami Heat. Buss also said the decision to trade O'Neal was made independently of Bryant.

Jackson said he had run-ins with O'Neal as well but that coaching him was ``an experience I will cherish forever.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lakers-philjackson-diary&prov=ap&type=lgns

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Preception, tha TRUTH, or people cashing in because basketball season is right around tha corner ........................ My boy KOBE is going to have a long season. All eye's, (and a few elbow's), will be on him.

Well, I guess when you count the rings that they acquired together, that observation is rather moot.

Phil has no reason to lie. He is too acomplished of a coach to go that route. If he didn't have anything negative to say about Pippen, Kobe iz definitely a BIAAAAAAAATCH!!!!!!!!!!

northern tiger said:
Phil has no reason to lie. He is too acomplished of a coach to go that route. If he didn't have anything negative to say about Pippen, Kobe iz definitely a BIAAAAAAAATCH!!!!!!!!!!
I agree.

When will some of yall Laker suckers realize that Kobe was the problem...heck I loved the Lakers when Magic was there...yet Kobe has a certain arrogance about himself that he will never be the calibor of player that Michael Jordan is.....or Magic....or.....Larry B......or Shaq. It's what you do off the court and how you play as a team member...I remember during the finals...Shaq was the only one just playing and had no complaints.

Kobe gets a big FUGG YOU from me...

Narcissitic.

Thats how Phil described Kobe.

Childish and immature.

Thats how I describe Kobe.

All are true.

The Lakers will be lucky to break even this year.

:shame:

I've been a Laker fan ever since I was 8. Now this year I don't even care for them at all. Kobe need to grow up fast. He still has not learn yet.

I think I will be traveling 2 hours up the street to check out the Grizzlies in Memphis in the new FedX forum.

May as well brace myself now for the uncomming season. My boy's gonna be raggin' me about this LAKER team from start to finish ................ESPECIALLY WITH ALL THE GREIF, :slap: , I BEEN GIVIN' OUT THE LAST FEW YEARS. :emlaugh:

pbla said:
I've been a Laker fan ever since I was 8. Now this year I don't even care for them at all. Kobe need to grow up fast. He still has not learn yet.

Just don't come back when they get better...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
pbla said:
They won't! We will all be dead and dust if they come back. This planet probally won't be here.
These are the Lakers...they always rise to the top like the Yankees and other great franchises.

jag4life said:
These are the Lakers...they always rise to the top like the Yankees and other great franchises.
Cant believe you compared the Lakers to the Yankees. Man, Jerry West is gone and he's not coming back.

and they all are making money. Kobe received a raise, Shaq received a raise and Phil will make about 20 million on the book. :bawling:

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
When will some of yall Laker suckers realize that Kobe was the problem...heck I loved the Lakers when Magic was there...yet Kobe has a certain arrogance about himself that he will never be the calibor of player that Michael Jordan is.....or Magic....or.....Larry B......or Shaq. It's what you do off the court and how you play as a team member...I remember during the finals...Shaq was the only one just playing and had no complaints.

Kobe gets a big FUGG YOU from me...

Well dang, Dr. Nupe, I didn't know you felt that way about Kobe Bean :bump:

But you're right ... and I was never really impressed w/Kobe.

Kobe wants to be the main guy? Baby from Cash Money dropped this line saying "I'd rather be local and paid than be nationwide and broke". Well, given that line of thought, I'd rather be a sidekick and win titles than to be the main dog on a middle-of-the-road or bottom of the barrell team...Kobe is bout to get thrown off that high horse nice and quick this season. Hell, I'll venture to say Kobe's ego cost the Lakers the series with Detroit. :smash:

The Lakers will be no higher than a 7 seed..and that's if Denver falls off considerably and Jerry Sloan doesn't have 5 warm bodies on the court to coach the living daylights out of.

Also: The lakers will not rebuild like the Yankees for a few reasons and here they are.
1. Jerry Buss ain't no Geroge Steinbrenner. Love him or hate him,Steinbrenner loves winning second only to breathing and will break the bank to keep winning regardless. Plus, unlike in L.A., Joe Torre knows Steinbrenner got his back regardless of who the player is.
2. There's no Jerry West around to build a team.
3. Major league baseball's economics are totally different than the NBAs. Imagine if the Yankees had to deal with the NBAs salary cap and luxury tax.

Journalist said:
Well dang, Dr. Nupe, I didn't know you felt that way about Kobe Bean :bump:

But you're right ... and I was never really impressed w/Kobe.

Kobe wants to be the main guy? Baby from Cash Money dropped this line saying "I'd rather be local and paid than be nationwide and broke". Well, given that line of thought, I'd rather be a sidekick and win titles than to be the main dog on a middle-of-the-road or bottom of the barrell team...Kobe is bout to get thrown off that high horse nice and quick this season. Hell, I'll venture to say Kobe's ego cost the Lakers the series with Detroit. :smash:

True, Kobe without Shaq is basically, well Tracy McGrady. Great stats on a horrible to middle of the road team.

Blacknbengal said:
Cant believe you compared the Lakers to the Yankees. Man, Jerry West is gone and he's not coming back.
Dude...the Lakers have been in over half (ESPN said like 58%) of all the NBA Finals series ever played. From that fact they considered the Lakers the best sports franchise of all time...Yankees were second. I can't believe you don't know how successful this franchise has been...either that or you just won't acknowledge it. Kinda like how you won't acknowledge....well you know who (starts with a B and ends with an L)

Back