Former GSU and NFL QB James Harris named GM at J'Ville

JR

This is good progress and I wish him well. I always liked Harris when he was with the Rams. I never thought he got his due while playing. So props to him. I had no idea he was the Player personnel director for the Ravens. I guess he moved into that role after Ozzie Newsome was promoted a few years ago. I am sure he told the Ravens about Hymes then. So again props. Click on the story below.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1497612.html

Although I don't like the Jag's I wish the brother well. It will be intresting to see how much power he is given. J'ville owner Wayne Weaver actions seem to indicate that he will play a much greater role in the operation of the team. I hope he's not like the idiot in Dallas. Harris and Del Rio will be pressured to win almost immediately because of lagging attendence. Living in this area I have found that there are a large number of football fans who hate the Jaguars, so it is important that they start winning soon to keep the loyal fans coming. This franchise is like the Falcons; if they don't win they dont come. Although I wish him well I do wish they would relocate so I'm not forced to watch them every Sunday.

Harris to be named Jags' top football executive

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Two weeks of interviews and one surprising rejection later, the Jacksonville Jaguars have settled on their new No. 1 football man in the front office, as ESPN.com has learned the team has reached an agreement with Baltimore Ravens pro personnel director James Harris.

A longtime talent evaluator, and 12-year NFL quarterback, Harris likely will be officially announced Thursday as the club's top football executive. It still is not certain if he will have the title of general manager, but he will function in that role.

The addition of Harris comes on the heels of a botched deal with Baltimore college scouting director Phil Savage, who had been the first choice of Jags owner Wayne Weaver. But Savage removed himself from consideration last Saturday, when he could not reach a contract agreement.

Weaver and team vice president Paul Vance also interviewed Buffalo Bills assistant general manager Tom Modrak and Rick Reiprish, who had been their own personnel director. The Jaguars subsequently fired Reiprish.

Harris, 55, was set to interview for the Seattle Seahawks general manager job on Friday. He had also interviewed for the Chicago general manager job two years ago. The move to the Jaguars will reunite him with new coach Jack Del Rio, with whom he previously worked in Baltimore. Del Rio was the Ravens' linebackers coach for four seasons.

With the hiring of Harris, the NFL's initiative to promote more minorities into head coaching and key front office positions takes a step forward.

Harris has been the Ravens' pro personnel director since 1997. Before that he was the assistant general manger of the New York Jets (1993-96) and he also was a Tampa Bay scout for six seasons.

One of the league's first black quarterbacks, Harris played for the Buffalo Bills (1969-71), Los Angeles Rams (1972-76) and the San Diego Chargers (1977-81). He passed for 8,136 yards and 45 touchdowns and was named as the most valuable player in the 1975 Pro Bowl game.

Back