Football Recruit Killed, Attempting to Rob Liquor Store

Deuce

Sad.

Hampton recruit shot and killed during robbery attempt
Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Hampton University football signee Derrick Breedlove was shot and killed Wednesday after a failed robbery attempt at a liquor store blocks from his high school.

Breedlove, a 6-2, 251-pound defensive tackle from Baltimore's Dundalk High School, entered Modern Discount Liquors Wednesday morning armed with a pellet gun and was shot by a clerk after taking a bag of cash.

Police said they were questioning another Dundalk student last night who might have been waiting outside the store in a getaway car. Police found the vehicle in the parking lot at Dundalk High and towed it away as part of the investigation.

"When I got the call, I thought it must be a mistake, it has to be a mistake," said Kim Stephanic, the school's principal. "Derrick was supposed to be in his first-period class and instead he was robbing a liquor store. I can't understand it."

According to Baltimore County police, Breedlove walked into the store shortly after 9 a.m., displayed the pellet gun and demanded money from a clerk behind the counter. A second clerk, Richard Kosinski, 50, who lives near the store, was in a back room and witnessed the robbery, she said.

Kosinski retrieved a handgun, walked out a side door and re-entered through the front door, Warehime said. He confronted Breedlove and shot him twice in the upper body.

Breedlove, who was pronounced dead at the scene, did not fire any shots.

03/14 12:48:43 ET

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by DAHILL
He got what he deserved.

Hill,

Don't take that approach. This is a tragedy...another black youth lost to the streets. A bad decision on his part and a wrongful act to be sure, but I don't want to see anyone killed like this.

There is no justification for what the young man did, it was criminal and it was wrong. Too bad he had to pay the ultimate price.

Cant nobody change my opinion on this. I hate seeing PUNKS that try to take things that others have worked HARD for. I would have shot his ass too. Nobody is coming into MY HOUSE (store) and going to take EVERYTHING, that I have worked ALL MY LIFE FOR, in a matter of 30 seconds to a minute. This young man was DUMB and GREEDY. He didnt need no damn money. He had a FOOTBALL SCHOLARSHIP to HAMPTON (an elite university). What more could he ask for. He should have had his ass in class.

Damn DaHill,
You one cold dude. Like Bigg said the guy was wrong for what he was doing. I am sure the store owner feared for his life. But you never want to see anyone killed. It was obvious he didn't intend to kill no one by using a pellet gun. But he put himself and others in danger by his actions and he paid for it with his life. Just another sad tragedy.:(

Well I just be dayum...

Mike,

I can't believe you went south on the HANG 'EM HIGH philosophy when dealing with THIS criminal. You had absolutely NO sympathy for the mentally ill mother in Houston, but chastised DaHill for saying the ARMED ROBBER got what he deserved. I thought your position, from you mature posture, was that criminal acts must be punished to the highest, regardless of the EXCUSES, DEFENSES, REASONS...insanity/athletic ability, young/old, male/female, black/white...does not matter DEATH PENALTY!

Did you know that armed robbery's penalty is the same as second degree murder? It is serious when someone puts a gun in your face and takes your property by lethal force. And JR, pellet, BB, plastic, 9MM, doesn't matter sweetie, when faced with an instrumentality of force and a demand to "give it up", it makes not one bit of difference! Pellets to the temple, eye, forehead CAN and WILL kill.

I ain't mad at you Mikey, you know I :love: you, but I knew that CIRCUMSTANCES make a difference in our opinions about crime and punishment.

Just my thoughts, albeit, rambling late night thoughts from a tired defense counsel!

This is so sad. Talented kids make some dumb decisions sometimes. I really feel sorry for his family. I hope this shocks them (meaning this isn't a norm for him or the family). You know our WORD tells us that all things work together for the good.... We know only in part and don't always understand that which we witness or hear. But perhaps, others will see what happen to this young man and will not make the same dumb mistake he made. For example, whoever was with him or may have considered being with him or some youth across the country that hears about this, may go straight as a result of hering about what happened to him.

Keep his family and the family of the person that killed him lifted in your prayers.

PEACE!!!

As sad as this sounds, you could imagine if this student would have gone on to Hampton, then there was possibly a chance that a college student or students would have been injured by this athlete sometime in his career. He was possibly a troubled youth trying to find a way out, but fell short to violence. The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. once said " If we can't live together as brothers and sisters, then we will all parish like fouls." :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Re: Well I just be dayum...

Originally posted by Seeing Spots
Mike,

I can't believe you went south on the HANG 'EM HIGH philosophy when dealing with THIS criminal. You had absolutely NO sympathy for the mentally ill mother in Houston, but chastised DaHill for saying the ARMED ROBBER got what he deserved. I thought your position, from you mature posture, was that criminal acts must be punished to the highest, regardless of the EXCUSES, DEFENSES, REASONS...insanity/athletic ability, young/old, male/female, black/white...does not matter DEATH PENALTY!

Did you know that armed robbery's penalty is the same as second degree murder? It is serious when someone puts a gun in your face and takes your property by lethal force. And JR, pellet, BB, plastic, 9MM, doesn't matter sweetie, when faced with an instrumentality of force and a demand to "give it up", it makes not one bit of difference! Pellets to the temple, eye, forehead CAN and WILL kill.

I ain't mad at you Mikey, you know I :love: you, but I knew that CIRCUMSTANCES make a difference in our opinions about crime and punishment.

Just my thoughts, albeit, rambling late night thoughts from a tired defense counsel!

The penalty might be the same but the crime is not! At least the lady in Houston got a chance to stand trial and her conviction for the multiple murders was life imprisonment with a chance at parole in 40 years.

40 years from now, this young man will still be DEAD!

I'm sorry, but the young man knew right from wrong, and he chose to do WRONG! There are no options to pick and choose the consequences. The owners of that store were not required by law to ask what type of gun is being used. It may sound harsh, but I agree with the DaHill. I would have tried to kill him too. How would I know what his intent was?

As most people, we shake our heads and say "man how can he be so stupid" I can not feel sorry for someone who commits a crime and end up in prison or the grave. He just did something stupid and it cost him his life.

In the words of Aretha "THINK"

Not good.

Das tight. Like somebody said though, he took the risk and it ended badly for him. No reason why you need to rob someone, especially a recruit that could possibly be going on to play as a pro if only in the CFL or NFLE.

Spots thats cold from where I sit too.

Its easier when its not you. Nobody deserves death for an indecision. Nobody won here and everybody lost. Thats very sad. Every thug is somebody's child, brother, sister, father and mother. You reap what you sow.......................then we all die.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
What about death of someone at the hands of the indecisioner?

Whoever shot the guy didn't know rather they were going to die from an additional indecision of the robber.

Whoever shot the guy didn't seek him out and shoot him. He made the wrong decision to rob the store and paid the ultimate price for indecision.

This should serve to encourage other would-be robbers not to make the wrong decision to rob somebody.

Re: Spots thats cold from where I sit too.

Originally posted by CATMENDUE2
Its easier when its not you. Nobody deserves death for an indecision. Nobody won here and everybody lost. Thats very sad. Every thug is somebody's child, brother, sister, father and mother. You reap what you sow.......................then we all die.

I don't understand what you mean that "it is cold from where you sit". I agree that nobody deserves death for an indecision. But what this young man did was not indecision, it was a crime. I do not believe in the death penalty for ANYONE, no matter the crime, no matter how heinious. I also agree that every thug and every mentally ill mother is somebody's child, brother, sister, father and mother. I believe that ALL persons who commit crimes should be duly punished, I just don't believe the State should kill another person for the crimes they commit. I believe the death penalty violates the constitutional prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment...and of course I am in the minority in that posture.

Okay Catmendue, when are we going to :love: and make up?:D

Re: What about death of someone at the hands of the indecisioner?

Originally posted by Bartram
Whoever shot the guy didn't know rather they were going to die from an additional indecision of the robber.

Whoever shot the guy didn't seek him out and shoot him. He made the wrong decision to rob the store and paid the ultimate price for indecision.

This should serve to encourage other would-be robbers not to make the wrong decision to rob somebody.

I too believe that it should serve as an incentive. But I do not think that it will to a lot of people.

No, it won't.

In the mean time, when someone gets shot trying to rob somebody, too bad, and it ain't the rest of the worlds fault for shooting the person. The person had the ultimate decision to make rather or not to rob somebody. If he doesn't attempt the robbery, he's alive today.

It is very sad to read this about this young brother. Man, I wonder what he was thinking about. If I were in that position I would not have shoot the young brother. I know it might sound crazy but I would have tried to talk to him. I know this is easy said then done but this is how I feel. For those of you who feel he got what he deserve ask yourself, what if this was your son? would you still feel the same way.

Originally posted by DAHILL
Cant nobody change my opinion on this. I hate seeing PUNKS that try to take things that others have worked HARD for. I would have shot his ass too. Nobody is coming into MY HOUSE (store) and going to take EVERYTHING, that I have worked ALL MY LIFE FOR, in a matter of 30 seconds to a minute.

And you wonder why the criminal ALWAYS shoot the victim during the robbery. Not always because they fear the victim may identify them, but they fear they may get fired upon themselves.

That "I have to take them out before the take me out" attitude. :smh:

Speaking as someone who has been on the wrong end of a pistol during a robbery, I can understand the reaction of a store owner or victim that decided to shoot.

My best friend and I were held at gunpoint during the robbery of a fastfood restaurant. We did what we were told to ensure our safety and that of our employees. The guy left after taking the money and no one was hurt. My friend and I both had ideas of jumping the thief from behind, but decided not act on it.

If we had guns, would we have used them? Probably, but then somebody's son or sons and daughters would have been shot. But I understand the fear and outrage that would lead to that happening.

Both of these young men made bad decisions. One paid with his life. Dahill, we don't know if the young man needed money or not. Just because he had a scholorship didn't mean he had food at home, or even a roof over his head.

If someone has a gun pointed at me, and I am in a position to shoot first, that is what I am going to do. I ain't trying to wait around and see whether or not he feels compelled to shoot after I have complied with his thug ass. I doubt I would shoot to kill, though ... probably would shoot to render impotence ...

That boy made a bad choice, and paid a dear price, but by no means is there sympathy in my heart for him ...

Back