flying while black

jonhandy

FIRST IN LAST OUT SIGNAL
I was read this article on a whistleblower inside the U.S. Customs
She tell of how black and hispanic women are beign victimized by customs inspectors.
"Black woman [are] the smallest group of travelers and the least likely to be found with contranband. However the [are] more likely to be searched than White or Hispanic women.
Senior Customs Inspectors and the Supervisors [are] racially profiling the black women, even thogh most of their seizures for contraband were comong off the hispanic flight or found on mostly white males."
The white males who were actually caught with illegal substances are allowed to hide their handcuffs underneath their clothing while innocent black passengers' hands were shackled behind their backs and unjustly paraded in front of the traveling public.

flying while black:
a whistleblower's story
by
Cathy Harris

F that, we got more important things to worry about; like the fight against terrorism, reverse discrimination, and equal opportunity for all americans.

Well, I have flown more times than I can count and I have never had a problem with customs inspectors or airport police or what ever. Now, when I drive home to Alabama from Houston, and I have to go through Louisana, well, thats a different story.

I was stopped at LAX quite a while ago coming from Baton Rouge for Chirstmas break. To save time, I was to be picked up in the baggage claim area. My bag was heavy so I kept going in and out with it waiting, then finally I left it there and went back outside to wait. When my mother finally came I got my bag and we were walking to the car and my mother was in front of me. A tall white man dressed like a hippy flashed his U.S. Customs badge and said could he talk to me, I said sure. He said that I fit the description of a mule...me a young black man. Needless to say, my mother almost got arrested for the things she told the agent. On a follow up phone call to the district office, they said that was a "common occurence" at LAX. I am not suprised that they are doing that now. This happened to me in the early 90's.:mad: :mad: :mad:
Who me...naw I didn't do that.

Back