Florida fires Zook and his staff

What SWAC school can fire the coach and his staff in the middle of the season and afford to pay out his contract? Please name the school.

Zook and his staff will finish out the season and head to the bank. :ebrow:

Florida should look to Jeff Tedford(Cal) or some other coach before going back to Spurrier. One of Spurrier's problems was that he's lazy and doesn't like to recruit. That's a good way to kill your program.

If spurrier can coach recruits will come to him if he is winning.He was winning while there.Gvie me good coach any day .recruits stillhav emake a choice on you.Zook was a great recruiter and better than spirrier but coaching wise he was not good.A coach that can win consistently needs his players in his system and does not have to pluck talent from eveywhere to please fans.If he is winning what is there to complain about.If i get the players that fit my system and my philosphy who want to play my type of ball i don't need the allstars and blue chippers who have their own agenda.i will take my type of players anyday who buy into my system and think they are only a part of the system and not the whole system.Winning cures alot of things.recruiting is one of those things!!!!!!!!!!

Well, it is easier to win with a coach that knows how to coach and is a poor recruit as opposed to a great recruiter that can't coach. First, winning at a school that has great facilites, support and TV exposure recruits for itself, then if you hire some assistants that can recruit you will be alright and can concentrate more on the big picture. But if you just can't coach, you will get your arse kicked even with the best recruits you were able to go out and get. And most that can't coach, don't realize it, so even hiring assistants that can doesn't help much because the head coach will not get out of thier way and let them run stuff.

The DC at Florida, Charlie Strong, WAS one of the top Black candidates for a HC job the last few years.

I wonder what this will do for HIS chances.

Damn shame.....maybe a HBCU will look at him as a HC since he is getting NO play in PWC football.

:mad:

<CENTER>We all have a right to agree and disagree! Opinions are just that.. OPINIONS, Just like Robber once said, "stating an opinion does not make you an expert"</center>

Carry On ! :smash:

thegooddoctor said:
What SWAC school can fire the coach and his staff in the middle of the season and afford to pay out his contract? Please name the school.

Zook and his staff will finish out the season and head to the bank. :ebrow:

I won't say that schools can't do it because just last year, lowly Savannah State and Del State fired their coaches midseason.

Tigerpride said:
I won't say that schools can't do it because just last year, lowly Savannah State and Del State fired their coaches midseason.

True, it all depends on the contract. It's easier for a school to fire a coach in the last year of a deal, and not all contracts require a payout or to pay the rest of the contract upon the coach being fired.

Let's not forget that Zook was a little zany. There have been other incidents on campus that weren't reported. They (administration) were simply keeping a list and it all added up. When Foley the AD called Zook and told him to handle his players during a disagreement with the dudes a the frat house, he goes over there and gets in the frat boys faces. That's akin to Bobby Knight stooping down to a student's level.

Croom would have marched right over there, grabbed his players by the shirts or ears or whatever and politely cuss their azzes out for acking a fool and tarnishing the image of MSU players. Croom is from the old school. Yeah, in most cases you support your players, but it's just like the old days. If a teacher called our moms and told us we were acting up, we would get our azz beat. This is new school and Zook was ready to throw down with his players. You can' have that kind person 'leading' your team. What kind of examply are you setting.

Trust me when I say this had been building up. It's not a black thang. Lou Holtz could have been coaching MSU and Zook still would have gotten fired. That's not to say the ALUMNI didn't want him gone because he lost to a 'black man', but for the adminstration to fire him because he lost to Croom...naw. Please understand how the folks in this conference view MSU. They look down on them in just about every sport. To forever be remembered as the team who lost to MSU in 2004, is NOT a memory they can handle.

Deuce said:
GSUper Tiger,

YOU ARE SO RIGHT.

I get into arguments all the time with people (who obviously have only been watching college football for about ten years) about the fact that before Spurrier took over at Florida, Florida was a middle-of-the-pack team in the SEC, and had been so for DECADES ! ! ! Before Spurrier, Florida was basically what Ole Miss is today ! ! !

In the 70 to 80 years (maybe more) that Florida was in the SEC before Spurrier, they had won exactly ONE SEC Championship, and that one was stripped of them by the NCAA, so in actuality, they had won NO SEC Championships, and NO NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Sure, they ran the SEC for a minute under Spurrier, but the SCE has been around for a lot longer than a "minute".

Bama, on the other hand, is getting waxed lately, with all of their recent NCAA problems, but Bama has won at least 21 SEC Championships, and 12 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS, going back as far as 1921.

THAT, MY FRIENDS, IS TRADITION.

Deuce, a more recent example is LSU..at least Florida won a whole national title...LSU won 0.5 national championships since integration and one prior to integration (1959 and LSUs only claim to fame until the BCS kept them from playing USC)..and folk walking around BR like LSU been batch slapping Michigan, USC, Miami and Notre Dame since 1980..

Bama, like Notre Dame, will be back on the map once they get right, although the Fighting Irish is a helluva lot closer since Bama's on probation (thanks Albert Means!)

But folks are forgetting two words when it comes to Steve Spurrier's success at Gainesville, BOB STOOPS. He was the DC during that run. You take away Bob Stoops' defensive units during Spurrier's run, then you basically got Texas Tech, BYU-East and countless other teams in the WAC.

Journalist said:
But folks are forgetting two words when it comes to Steve Spurrier's success at Gainesville, BOB STOOPS. He was the DC during that run. You take away Bob Stoops' defensive units during Spurrier's run, then you basically got Texas Tech, BYU-East and countless other teams in the WAC.

I don't know about all that. I can remember Alabama and their sick defense beating Spurrier in 1992 to win the SEC, while Stoops was still at K-State. Spurrier had turned UF into a top notch program long before Stoops, but he could only help. I guess you could give Stoops credit as in his first year of 96, they won the National title, but the defense still wasn't that great that year, the offense was just unstoppable.:eek:

In partial defense of Florida, they were better than Ole Miss before Spurrier. Florida would be in the running for the title and then lose late in the season. Losses to Auburn and Georgia during the '70s and early 80s killed their conference title chances.

As for LSU they had some lean years for the last three decades. But they did win conference titles during the late '80s. During their better years LSU was like Florida except what killed them were their losses to Alabama, especially in Baton Rouge. As for last year they did beat Georgia twice, once in the Georgia Dome, and defeated Oklahoma and Bob Stoops.

As for 'Bama, I think that they have over 30 conference titles. During the '80s they were at 29.

JSU/99 had it correct. Spurrier was lazy when it came to recruiting. Zook did recruit well. But his team was young. As for Spurrier's last Sugar Bowl, his team lost to the more experienced and better coached team in Miami. In the Sugar Bowl against Notre Dame, Lou Holtz outcoached Spurrier. As it did in Washington Spurrier's arrogance would cost him.

EB said:
In partial defense of Florida, they were better than Ole Miss before Spurrier. Florida would be in the running for the title and then lose late in the season. Losses to Auburn and Georgia during the '70s and early 80s killed their conference title chances.

As for LSU they had some lean years for the last three decades. But they did win conference titles during the late '80s. During their better years LSU was like Florida except what killed them were their losses to Alabama, especially in Baton Rouge. As for last year they did beat Georgia twice, once in the Georgia Dome, and defeated Oklahoma and Bob Stoops.

As for 'Bama, I think that they have over 30 conference titles. During the '80s they were at 29.

JSU/99 had it correct. Spurrier was lazy when it came to recruiting. Zook did recruit well. But his team was young. As for Spurrier's last Sugar Bowl, his team lost to the more experienced and better coached team in Miami. In the Sugar Bowl against Notre Dame, Lou Holtz outcoached Spurrier. As it did in Washington Spurrier's arrogance would cost him.

I tried to tell folk that fun-n-gun isht wouldn't work in the NFL. Just the speed of the pro game alone makes that hard when you have LBs that could get out of bed and run 10-second 100m dashes and DBs that could blow past Mo Greene 'nem. Besides, the fun-n-gun woulda been negated in the late season, especially in a bad-weather division like the NFC East. Wide-open offenses do not work well in the playoffs in bad-weather situations (read: Colts-Patriots last season)

Consider this about Spurrier. He coached in the USFL and play in the NFL from the late '60 until '76. Now, I understand that pro football is a lot different now than it was then. But one thing is sure when Spurrier played. The NFL is still a bigger and faster league than the colleges. Spurrier should have known that, NO EXCUSES.

The alumni at Florida didn't like Zook from the moment they hired him. It was just a matter of time before they fired him. From what I understand, Foley (the AD) decided to annonce the firing now to prevent 2 months of questions (about whether Zook will be fired at the end of the season). He said, if the decision to fire Zook was already made (which it was) then why not state it now.

On another note, Brian vanGorder, the defensive coordinator at Georgia, could possibliy be a top candidate for that job. He's the only assistant coach at GA with a contract and it will be just a matter of time before he is offered a head coaching position. (He has turned down positions in the past for some smaller schools.)

A kid can be released from his scholarship in situations like the Baylor case. He can't be released because the coach left. There would be no players on any of the teams and you would never be able to establish a program.

Now, no one can make them stay there...but we all know that by transferring you lose a year, depending on where you end up trying to go. You can't have that year back.

This situation with Zook isn't a special case like Baylor.

And referring to a comment silentrage made about a UGA asst...I'd venture to guess that Rodney Garner (sharp brotha) is next on someone's list. Florida isn't the right set-up for him and I KNOW they wouldn't hire him, but I'd imagine that he'll be someone's head coach in the next year or two.

Gators yell at Florida AD over Zook's firing

Gators yell at Florida AD over Zook's firing

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) - The decision to fire Florida coach Ron Zook was welcomed by Gator fans around the country.

It didn't get the same reception in the locker room.
Players strongly defended their coach Tuesday and chastised athletic director Jeremy Foley for the timing of the move.

"He basically just ripped the heart out of the team," safety Jarvis Herring said. "He kept saying it was all about the team, all about the team. No, it's not about the team. It's really about the damn boosters and the fans or whatever. That's all it's about. It's nothing about us. We're just in the middle. We're just trapped."

Read story

Back