Fixing the problems

Blacknbengal

Fixing the problems

Southern chancellor discusses plans to upgrade facilities

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
jschiefelbein@theadvocate.com
Advocate sportswriter

Advocate staff photo by Richard Alan Hannon
Southern University head football coach Pete Richardson inspects ruts in his field prior to his team's game against Miles College on Saturday.
Mudford, no more?

A combination of poor drainage and untimely wet weather had turned the football field at Southern University's A.W. Mumford Stadium into a mucky surface on game days in recent seasons.

To fix that problem, Southern University Chancellor Edward Jackson said Thursday the school plans to install a new drainage system and re-surface the field "beginning in March, no later than April."

Jackson discussed the field as well as two other major projects for athletics -- a $5 million sports complex under the west side of Mumford Stadium and a $750,000 second phase of renovations at baseball's Lee-Hines Field -- to begin this year.

In addition, Southern Athletic Director Floyd Kerr said the installation of lights for the football practice fields will begin next week.

The lights will then be ready for spring practice, scheduled to begin in mid-March.

Of the projects, "it means we can build a competitive edge throughout the SWAC," said Kerr, who acknowledged that lagging facilities had hurt Southern in recruiting in a range of sports.

Currently, the school is finishing a multimillion dollar renovation to the F.G. Clark Activity Center, with a key feature being new locker rooms for home and visiting teams and game officials. Finishing touches also are being put on a new baseball stadium at Lee-Hines Field.

"We were so far behind, but we're heading in the right direction as far as trying to refurbish some things," said football coach Pete Richardson, who sent a letter to the head of the board of supervisors last month detailing the program's infrastructure problems.

Advocate file photo
Southern University chancellor Edward Jackson.
"I'm excited about it."

Richardson has never had a losing season in 10 years at the school. His staff turned a 1-5 team to a 6-6 final record despite dealing with arguably the worst conditions in college football.

With a late-September fire in the Clark Center, the equipment, dressing, and training rooms moved temporarily to Seymour. Meanwhile, with the sloppy turf at Mumford, the team couldn't practice under the lights there, instead working into darkness on muddy practice fields.

"These plans have been in the works since February 2002, when the board authorized us to proceed with the plans you see here today," Jackson said. "A lot of work had to be done to get to the point where we're at now."

FOOTBALL FIELD: Jackson said work to the football field will cost between $250,000 and $750,000. He said the school had two estimates in hand and was seeking a third.

"We will put in a new football field this spring, hopefully beginning in March, and no later than April," Jackson said.

Jackson said the new drainage system will direct water south toward Harding Boulevard., while the old system went north. The new system will tie into the pipes currently being placed at Harding as part of the road's expansion.

"We've had some difficulties owing to a poor drainage system under the field," Jackson said. "The crown was removed when work was done to the field two or three years ago, and it went downhill from there."

The Jaguar Athletic Group, begun in March, had tried to raise $600,000 to do the work. Though the JAG fell short, it bought a field-specific turf mower (with the school matching).

SPORTS COMPLEX: Jackson said architects are working on blueprints for the sports complex, with construction starting in late June or early July and taking 12-to-14 months.

The facility, envisioned to be 29,000 square feet, will include strength-and-conditioning rooms, sports medicine, track and field offices, football offices, meeting rooms, equipment rooms and locker rooms.

"It could be a selling point in recruiting," said Richardson, who said he liked the consolidation of his program.

In years past, Southern's football team dressed in the Clark Center and its foes in Seymour.

While there is currently an old, unused dormitory under the west side, Jackson said "that structure will be demolished, and the new structure will be put in place. ... It will be a brand-new facility, not a remodeling of the old structure."

A $6.5 million press box was in place for the 2001 season and a new scoreboard, with video replay, debuted last season.

To help pay for the facility, a $3 surcharge will be added to all tickets beginning in the fall.

BASEBALL: Blueprints for the second phase of the baseball stadium are already in place, with Jackson displaying those Thursday.

That phase calls for the construction of two structures: a bathroom/concessions stand behind the stadium and locker rooms/offices behind the left-field fence.

Jackson said construction on the bathroom/concessions stand should begin in late March/early April. If so, the structure could be complete for the Southwestern Athletic Conference baseball tournament May 1-4.

"That's something that can be done relatively quickly," Southern baseball coach Roger Cador said.

Jackson said the construction of the locker rooms/offices should begin by late summer or early fall and take three to four months to finish. That one-story building would include lockers for both teams as well as the umpires, office space for both the assistant coaches and the head coach and a large team meeting room.

Those facilities would cap the rapid improvement to Lee-Hines Field. Lights were added in the 2001 season, and an impressive new stadium structure, complete with covered seating and an enclosed press box, and a new scoreboard in right field are in place for this season.

"Progress is good," Cador said. "It takes a lot of people to get involved. You have to have the backing of the administration, from President Leon Tarver and Chancellor Jackson. They worked together to make it happen, with the business leaders in the community.

"This took a little longer, but sometimes progress takes awhile. The key is to not give up."

Originally posted by Blacknbengal

Jackson said construction on the bathroom/concessions stand should begin in late March/early April. If so, the structure could be complete for the Southwestern Athletic Conference baseball tournament May 1-4.

So are the Spring Championships moving to Baton Rouge? Or will it be dismantled and each sport be held in different locations?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
NO SMACK INTENED HERE, BUT...............

NO SMACK INTENDED HERE BUT...............................

....WHY DO YOU CONTINUE TO TRY AND PUT LIPSTICK ON THAT PIG?????

The place is a genuine certified DUMP!!! (You SU peeps can get mad if you want.....YOU of all people know the truth.):nod: :nod: A million dollar pressbox and a million dollars worth of porta-potties is still tantamount to putting the Hope diamond and an expensive fur on a pig. In the end,...........IT'S STILL A PIG??????

It seems as though that some of that money could be used to float a bond issue to get ALL NEW FACILITIES with some real indoor plumbing perhaps and decent field with nice turf to keep ALL players safe especially yours?????

Ask yourselves, would you keep pouring money into a house that you have been living in for nearly 50 years with minimal upkeep and maintenance going on through several different administrations?????

NO SMACK HERE......JUST COMMON SENSE!!

Re: NO SMACK INTENED HERE, BUT...............

sorry SD, I know you said no smack,

but......
Originally posted by STRAWDOG

The place is a genuine certified DUMP!!! (You SU peeps can get mad if you want.....YOU of all people know the truth.):nod: :nod: A million dollar pressbox and a million dollars worth of porta-potties is still tantamount to putting the Hope diamond and an expensive fur on a pig. In the end,...........IT'S STILL A PIG??????

:lmao::lmao::lmao:
:lol::lol:

Re: NO SMACK INTENED HERE, BUT...............

Originally posted by STRAWDOG

It seems as though that some of that money could be used to float a bond issue to get ALL NEW FACILITIES with some real indoor plumbing perhaps and decent field with nice turf to keep ALL players safe especially yours?????

Ask yourselves, would you keep pouring money into a house that you have been living in for nearly 50 years with minimal upkeep and maintenance going on through several different administrations?????

NO SMACK HERE......JUST COMMON SENSE!!

Please specify what the hell your talkin bout :retard:

Hey Straw!!!

Your reaction is the same as was mine, but inside sources have reviewed the plans and have given me a "you gotta see what they're gonna do" type approval. As with all re-mod's and funding that our "folks" have their hands in, we'll just have to wait and see....

All I can say is at least they know of the importance of following through. If Pete and the other athletic staffers are pleased with what is about to happen, then who are we??? I would think they know exactly what needs to be done to make SU as attractive a place to be as an athlete or coach than the rest of us...especially those of us who don't need or use these facilities. It's their house. They have to live in it and they give it a "thumbs up"!

So, if they (athletic dept.) saw the plans, had "say so" AND are excited about it, "I don't have a dog in that fight...."

Re: Hey JD!!!

Originally posted by Jaguar Diehard
Your reaction is the same as was mine, but inside sources have reviewed the plans and have given me a "you gotta see what they're gonna do" type approval. As with all re-mod's and funding that our "folks" have their hands in, we'll just have to wait and see....

All I can say is at least they know of the importance of following through. If Pete and the other athletic staffers are pleased with what is about to happen, then who are we??? I would think they know exactly what needs to be done to make SU as attractive a place to be as an athlete or coach than the rest of us...especially those of us who don't need or use these facilities. It's their house. They have to live in it and they give it a "thumbs up"!

So, if they (athletic dept.) saw the plans, had "say so" AND are excited about it, "I don't have a dog in that fight...."

:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

Jaguar Diehard......

Thanks for the info. I am sure if the Alumni thinks that the way they are moving is a good plan then it is going to be better all the way for SU, it's students, Alumni, and FOP( Friends of The Program) I feel that SU has to much NATIONAL VISABILITY to have any facilities less than D-1 standards.

As HBCU's go WE(ALL of US D-1, D-2, or D-3) must continue to strive for the best facilities possible and we must continue to maintain and upgrade those facilities with vengence. The vast majority of the time, this is what will attract those blue chip athletes to our program.

I will be there on Oct 11, to check out the upgraded and renovated digs.

:tup:

Hold up, didn't everyone here laugh at me when I posted a similar article of the playing surface and drainage renovations we made two years ago? Didn't everyone downplay the article I posted describing our new state of the art fieldhouse and fitness and wellness center?

Didn't yall say it was no big deal to want to improve those things and that it was not really a sign of progress?

Strength in numbers
8-10-01

By CRAIG T. GREENLEE, Staff Writer
News & Record

GREENSBORO -- State-of-the-art training facilities do not win championships. But in NCAA sports, having a top-flight facility can go a long way in helping a program establish a national reputation.

As N.C. A&T begins preseason football practice today, there is an air of excitement around campus. The opening of the school's newly completed training center is expected to produce handsome dividends for Aggies football in particular, and for the school's athletics programs in general.

The Joseph and Kathleen Bryan Fitness and Wellness Center, located at the open end of the Aggie Stadium horseshoe, has been a long time coming. A&T spent $3.2 million to build and furnish the 25,000-square-feet facility, which features two spacious locker rooms, a modernized weight room and sports medicine area. Other amenities include a multi-purpose classroom, administrative offices, a laundry area and ample storage space for football equipment.

"Everything (in the center) is top-of-the-line," said senior safety Brice McLean, who works as a personal trainer at the Pyramids Fitness Centers during the offseason. "It's good that we now have access to the kind of facility that will help us become good enough to compete successfully at the national level. We see this as the start of building a new dynasty."

A&T coach Bill Hayes has waited 14 years for a new facility. He was told a training center would be built when he was hired in 1988. But it wasn't until two years ago at the ground-breaking ceremony that Hayes began to see some tangible evidence. Now that the center is operational, he says A&T will have a better chance of attracting a greater number of top-shelf athletes.

With the opening of the Bryan Center, the Aggies rank favorably with Florida A&M, Hampton and Howard, who are acknowledged around the MEAC for the quality of their training facilities.

"This will really jump-start our recruiting," Hayes said. "Now we have something to show impressionable high school players. They want a nice weight room, training room and all those things. And now we have that to offer."

In spite of its lack of top-grade facilities, A&T hasn't fared badly. During the Hayes era, the Aggies have a .639 winning percentage, which includes three MEAC championships and two Division I-AA playoff appearances. Last season, A&T finished 8-3 but failed to win back-to-back conference titles when they suffered a surprise 46-45 loss to Delaware State. In this year's preseason voting, the Aggies are the hands-down favorite to win the MEAC and an automatic playoff bid.

"In the past, we didn't have a whole lot, so we did the best with what we had," sophomore wide receiver Derek Becton said. "We've finally got what we've been needing, so all of us are expecting to be so much better. We'll put this (new facility) to good use."

The Bryan Center represents a stark contrast to A&T's previous training quarters, the Strickland Field House. The outdated field house, built in the early 1950s, could handle just 35 players, which was the standard number of players for a college football team 40 years ago. Today's A&T teams have 85 to 90 players. Aside from the cramped locker room, the field house had a small dressing/shower space for the coaching staff and not much space left over for team trainers and the equipment staff to work with.

As a result, the rest of the Aggies had to use locker rooms located beneath the stands at Aggie Stadium. Visiting teams had no available locker room space, so they had to dress at a hotel, and at halftime, their dressing room was a tent located about 600 yards from the stadium. Visitors had to ride the bus back to their hotel in order to shower and change after a game.

"A&T is making all the right moves," said Delaware State coach Ben Blacknall, an A&T alumnus who was a longtime assistant at South Carolina State before taking over as the Hornets' head coach in 2000.

"I was teasing coach Hayes about (the new facility) at the MEAC football press conference. I told him I'd rather be in the tent. That way, I'd have an excellent way to keep my players motivated by reminding them how A&T gave us bad accommodations as a visiting team.

"But seriously, what they're doing says so much about their program. It's progress and I'm glad to see it."

Originally posted by bornthrilla
Hold up, didn't everyone here laugh at me when I posted a similar article of the playing surface and drainage renovations we made two years ago? Didn't everyone downplay the article I posted describing our new state of the art fieldhouse and fitness and wellness center?

Didn't yall say it was no big deal to want to improve those things and that it was not really a sign of progress?

Are you in the SWAC???

WELL SHUTUP!!!!

Back