FIVE FINALISTS FOR HBCU SPORTS’ 2016 BAND OF THE YEAR ANNOUNCED

I'm waiting for the polls to open.

Can someone please tell me the fascination with NCAT.. They were nowhere near the past NCAT bands. The sound was VERYYYYY WEAK this year. Saw them twice and the sound was barely making it across the field.. And when your dance unit is getting more recognition than you, that should tell you where you program is at.

And I would replace another band with PVAM and its not Miles.:cool:. Miles is a pretty solid band program..

Everyone is going to gang up to make sure SU doesn't win just like last year.

That band from Jaguar land wasn't a crowd-pleaser in 2016. Maybe, Vladimir Putin can hack the votes to favor SU?

Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus is shutting down; Maybe, SU should shut down that circus they call halftime shows also?

sbed_sign_goodnite_100-100.gif

Last edited:
Everyone is going to gang up to make sure SU doesn't win just like last year.

You can't say then when SU folks are barely voting. Only 770 in 3 days? Y'all have done alot better than that before so I doubt that's an accurate reason. Other bands probably just want it more so that's kind of a reach.

You can't say then when SU folks are barely voting. Only 770 in 3 days? Y'all have done alot better than that before so I doubt that's an accurate reason. Other bands probably just want it more so that's kind of a reach.
It's no big deal really. It just gives the winning band something to brag about during their halftime show. The bands like Miles and Alabama A&M want it badly because they want to validate the success of their programs by pushing to win this poll. Other bands aren't putting much effort into voting because we can let our accomplishments speak for themselves. Put them across the field from us and we'll show who's the best with or without the poll favoring us.

Last edited:
It's no big deal really. It just gives the winning band something to brag about during their halftime show. The bands like Miles and Alabama A&M want it badly because they want to validate the success of their programs by pushing to win this poll. Other bands aren't putting much effort into voting because we can let our accomplishments speak for themselves. Put them across the field from us and we'll show who's the best with or without the poll favoring us.

Now this I def agree with lol.

It's no big deal really. It just gives the winning band something to brag about during their halftime show. The bands like Miles and Alabama A&M want it badly because they want to validate the success of their programs...

I don't disagree, but how is this any different from what SU does during its halftime shows?

Nobody from SU band wise is really here anymore. They have their own forums these days. Jukes have gotten to the point they only compare past editions of the Juke to current editions. LOL.

So that old SU voting block on here is non existent.

I don't disagree, but how is this any different from what SU does during its halftime shows?

I think the stuff said during SU halftime shows are not fan based internet polls. It is from publications who's staff voted or from the NCAA office when they voted us behind Ohio State a year ago.

Nobody from SU band wise is really here anymore. They have their own forums these days. Jukes have gotten to the point they only compare past editions of the Juke to current editions. LOL.

So that old SU voting block on here is non existent.

Understood, but I was speaking moreso on the fans and not just band members lol. Our fans seem to stop caring about these polls too, as they should. They really hold no weight besides who's fans can vote the most for their band imo lol.

Last edited:
Understood, but I was speaking moreso on the fans and morning just band members lol. Our fans seem to stop caring about these polls too, as they should. They really hold no weight besides who's fans can vote the most for their band imo lol.
And that's all I was saying. No offense to Alabama A&M and Miles(2 good band programs), but not many folks wouldn't even consider them Top 5 bands let alone the 2 best bands, yet here they are running away with the poll.lol

Last edited:
I think the stuff said during SU halftime shows are not fan based internet polls. It is from publications who's staff voted or from the NCAA office when they voted us behind Ohio State a year ago.
Understood, and point well taken. But I'm going to have to challenge you a bit. Southern's band was named HBCU Digest's band of the year and that award is determined by a panel of judges. Those awards are not determined by fan polls. Yet, SU to this day, still refers to being the "No 1 band by USA Today". How long ago was that? Why is it so important to still reference USA Today, when HBCU Digest, arguably the most respected HBCU news publication in our circle has given SU that award at least 3 times since the USA Today mention?

Understood, and point well taken. But I'm going to have to challenge you a bit. Southern's band was named HBCU Digest's band of the year and that award is determined by a panel of judges. Those awards are not determined by fan polls. Yet, SU to this day, still refers to being the "No 1 band by USA Today". How long ago was that? Why is it so important to still reference USA Today, when HBCU Digest, arguably the most respected HBCU news publication in our circle has given SU that award at least 3 times since the USA Today mention?

Because my Frat who announces the band still likes that sound to it. LOL. However USA Today did have them number one a few years back again. Plus they cover SU Band for some reason all the time. Even had an article on them just because they played some Drake song. LOL. Kind of some love fest between the two.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...kes-controlla-is-absolutely-amazing/90390198/

Because my Frat who announces the band still likes that sound to it. LOL. However USA Today did have them number one a few years back again. Plus they cover SU Band for some reason all the time. Even had an article on them just because they played some Drake song. LOL. Kind of some love fest between the two.

Yeah, but HBCU Digest, a publication which addresses the issues of HBCUs front and center is completely ignored after naming the band band of the year last year. You don't find anything peculiar about that? Are you saying your band's announcer takes more stock in what USA Today thinks it than to acknowledge an honor given by an entity within its own circle?

Yeah, but HBCU Digest, a publication which addresses the issues of HBCUs front and center is completely ignored after naming the band band of the year last year. You don't find anything peculiar about that? Are you saying your band's announcer takes more stock in what USA Today thinks it than to acknowledge an honor given by an entity within its own circle?

I am sure he didn't even know about it. LOL. He aint on staff like that. He does it because he has been doing it since the early 90s. I doubt he even knew about it. Now maybe the rest of the staff did and probably should have asked him to add it. He is hardly on any social media. So the younger Jukes probably should hip him to it. Some announcers get caught up in their routine and do it for years. We have seen it historically in the SWAC. They will say the same thing for 20 years. LOL. Now if the guy who does all our video production was announcing, he would probably add different things. He is more in tune on all these other accolades.

Honestly, I never hear any of these band announcers say anything new about their band. Its the same thing. Either they are trying to be like a legendary announcer they have had in the past or they just recycle the same stuff over and over again.

I am sure he didn't even know about it. LOL. He aint on staff like that. He does it because he has been doing it since the early 90s. I doubt he even knew about it. Now maybe the rest of the staff did and probably should have asked him to add it. He is hardly on any social media. So the younger Jukes probably should hip him to it. Some announcers get caught up in their routine and do it for years. We have seen it historically in the SWAC. They will say the same thing for 20 years. LOL. Now if the guy who does all our video production was announcing, he would probably add different things. He is more in tune on all these other accolades.

Honestly, I never hear any of these band announcers say anything new about their band. Its the same thing. Either they are trying to be like a legendary announcer they have had in the past or they just recycle the same stuff over and over again.

Yeah Bedell isn't on social media lol

better be glad PV ain't on this list, them folks toiled day and night to win this last year

Truth be told, only a handful of bands can come close to SU! All these polls where you can vote as many times as you please are a God-send for so many band programs in dire need of recognition. SU people, like myself, don't care to even vote at all anymore in these polls. Generally speaking, I believe the Southern University Marching Band is generally thought of as the best black college marching band in America. I think most SWACters believe that too! And that is not to demean or disrespect any of the other bands. They are all fine marching units, but SU, JSU, PV, and a few others just do it a little bit better. Some schools even mention the appearance of the SU band in their football TV commercials and radio announcements as a means to bolster attendance. Most SWACsters would deny it, but most SWAC bands put on their best performances against SU and consider SU their most fierceist competition.

Back