FCC Ends Debate Over Cell Phone Calls on Airplanes

Olde Hornet

I was prepared for war - I was planning on taking a Bluetooth speaker on board, when my neighbor started talking, I would listen to music.

After a seven-year debate over whether or not American flyers should be allowed to use their cell phones to make calls from airplanes, the Federal Communications Commission has put an end to the discussion. With proceedings terminated, flyers won’t be allowed to legally use their phones for calls when in flight for the foreseeable future.

Another outgoing federal official is making a mark on the aviation industry, by closing a seven-year debate on how cell phones should be used on aircraft. The Federal Communications Commission formally closed the docket on expanding mobile phone use to aircraft on Friday, Nov. 27, 2020, keeping cabins a call-free environment.

Calls on Aircraft Opposed by Flight Attendants and Pilots On Safety Concerns

In the two-page document formally ending consideration, the FCC noted they “declined to pursue” the rulemaking process after collecting feedback from multiple stakeholders. While comments from the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA sent to outgoing FCC chairman Ajit Pai noted safety concerns, the replies from mobile phone providers and aviation technology companies were split on how to approach the topic.

“There is strong opposition to the Commission’s proposals from many commenters in this proceeding, including our nation’s airline pilots and flight attendants, who argue that it ‘fail to address significant safety and national security concerns,’” the FCC order reads. “And, although there is some support for expanding access from a variety of entities, commenters vary dramatically as to approach.”

Last edited:
Back