Fast food joints on college campuses

CEE DOG

Why are fast food joints more successful on PWC's campuses then on HBCU's? Does your school have any on them? I noticed UAH had a article in yesterday's paper about Dunkin Donuts opening in their new student union. They also have Pizz Hut and Wing place and Quinozos too.

Why are fast food joints more successful on PWC's campuses then on HBCU's? Does your school have any on them? I noticed UAH had a article in yesterday's paper about Dunkin Donuts opening in their new student union. They also have Pizz Hut and Wing place and Quinozos too.

JSU has a Pizza Hut, Chik Fila, Burger King and Subway on campus.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Now that is nice a set of options.

There's also a Mexican place, a "grill", coffee shop and a place where u can get plate lunches - all owned by the same group. Aramark controls our food service and offers pretty good variety. Even the cafeteria is nice with several different food stations. This is somewhat new to us(within the last 5 years) but PWCs have been contracting their stuff out for decades.

Aramark is at AAMU too....but the students complain about it sometimes.

They have gotten better though since Hugine became president...

we just approved a plan for a new student union that will go on "the block" so I guess we will have fast food options in there

I just love how this thread starts off with a PWI doing something (supposedly) better than a HBCU and then it quickly being proved wrong.

that's usually how information about HBCU's is spread...WRONG. :lol:

Well we have chik-fil a --- my favorite, pizza hut, subway, and burger king plus a java city and a host of local places like bostons etc. The pwi that i visited (usm) had no more than jsu has. Everyday, the payton place has lunch that you can get to go, and eddie's fish hut is down the street lol. We have plenty of options here, but some people would like different options I guess lol. I would trade that bk for wendy's in a hot minute

If you don't know ask. Nothing is wrong with not knowing and in this case I didn't know so I asked. :devil2:
I just love how this thread starts off with a PWI doing something (supposedly) better than a HBCU and then it quickly being proved wrong.

that's usually how information about HBCU's is spread...WRONG. :lol:

Aramark is at AAMU too....but the students complain about it sometimes.

They have gotten better though since Hugine became president...

we just approved a plan for a new student union that will go on "the block" so I guess we will have fast food options in there

I think Aramark is at Southern still, but all these kids complain.

Look, one night my father, my son, and I were out having dinner. Since my father and I are graduates of Southern and my son now attends, of course campus life at Southern was the topic of discussion. My son was complaining about the food in the cafeteria. I told my son they have it good compared to when I was there. They have so many food choices in the cafeteria now and even other places to choose from to eat on campus I didn’t understand what he was complaining about. We didn’t have that many choices when I was there. My father told us both compared to what he had in the late 50’s /early 60’s at least you all had a CHOICE. :lol:

Just took a group of young men to tour Arkansas State in Jonesboro on Friday. They had a lot of nice fast food restaurants inside their campus center, but most students (on this day) were all up in the cafe which serves just about anything you could possibly want or it. It was good too....

Ain't nobody had time for no fast foods that day....LOL!

TSU has the traditional cafe ran by Sodexho, two or three grab and go type places scattered throughout campus, plus Subway, A&W, Einstein Brothers Bagels, Pizza Hut and a sitdown wing place near the bowling alley called WOW Wings that serves bbq, mexican food, wings, salads, burgers, beer and margarita's.

I will say Aramark and Sodexho use to half step at HBCUs (not sure if they still do). We went to a leadership conference at a PWI when I was in school and found out that their cafe was ran by Sodexho, but the food offerings that they had was so much better than what we had in the cafe. We took pictures and brought it back to complain to the Food Services committee at TSU.

Man, the selctions in the union made me happy when I saw I had a choice of catfish, flounder, black eyed peas, lima beans, collard greens, corn bread and hush puppies.. AND they had tarter sauce.. :tup:

Just took a group of young men to tour Arkansas State in Jonesboro on Friday. They had a lot of nice fast food restaurants inside their campus center, but most students (on this day) were all up in the cafe which serves just about anything you could possibly want or it. It was good too....

Ain't nobody had time for no fast foods that day....LOL!

yeah, the JSU cafe is good too. Last year, my cousin was still in undergrad so I came by to have lunch with her and we went in the cafe. I have a nice assortment and if you want stir fry, etc.. they will cook it right there for you! The salad bar was nice and the regular selections too. No reason to complain about food at JSU. Then we have a sports bar and we have a restaurant right behid the union.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
yeah, the JSU cafe is good too. Last year, my cousin was still in undergrad so I came by to have lunch with her and we went in the cafe. I have a nice assortment and if you want stir fry, etc.. they will cook it right there for you! The salad bar was nice and the regular selections too. No reason to complain about food at JSU. Then we have a sports bar and we have a restaurant right behid the union.

Not anymore.

Winston-Salem State has Popeye's, Subway, The Burger Palace, and a couple coffee/tea shops, to go along with a "grill"....

JSU has a gang of them.............. Fast food and restaurants.
JSU ON-campus dining

Look, one night my father, my son, and I were out having dinner. Since my father and I are graduates of Southern and my son now attends, of course campus life at Southern was the topic of discussion. My son was complaining about the food in the cafeteria. I told my son they have it good compared to when I was there. They have so many food choices in the cafeteria now and even other places to choose from to eat on campus I didn’t understand what he was complaining about. We didn’t have that many choices when I was there. My father told us both compared to what he had in the late 50’s /early 60’s at least you all had a CHOICE. :lol:

:emlaugh: I heard about those stories from long ago.

When I was at JSU, we had the cafe and this place called "the Grill" where you could buy stuff like a chicken basket. Actually, the old heads seemed to have had a lot of choices around JSU. They always talk about places like the old "Penguin", etc... we were advised NOT to walk on the back side of campus when I was in school. :lol:

Yall had it good and have it good now. heck when I started college you could only go thru the line once. We had to sneak and get someone to give you a sandwich to take back to the room. :emlaugh: They changed it where you could go thru the line more then once my sophomore year. :lol: Heck there was no cable in the dorms. Only pay phones unless you got your parents to get one turned on for you because the deposit was like 300 bucks if they didn't do it. :lol: No in room visitation. Could not go on the girls end after 10 p.m. :lol: man yall better thank God you were born later. Pops kill me talking about control of HBCU's. I could only imagine if he went to college in the 80's early 90's. :emlaugh: he would have went crazy. Heck why you think we got in so much trouble. We was bored as hell. Ain't nothing to do but smoke a joint and drink Colt 45. :emlaugh:

Last edited:
Back