Fans expected to flock to Capital City for JSU, Alcorn rivalry

BG

JACKSON, Miss. —
An influx of fans is expected in the Capital City this week as Jackson State University and Alcorn State University rivalry week kicks off.

Fans were seen Monday at Veteran's Memorial Stadium securing their tickets ahead of Saturday's game.

“Big, big game of course every year," said Steve Denham of Jackson. "We look forward to Jackson State and Alcorn each year we play this game. I have family coming from out of town and I’m here to buy tickets for them, of course.”

Fans said the massive crowds seen at JSU Homecoming were a lesson learned for this coming game.

“I didn’t get into the game until after halftime," one JSU fan said.

This weekend's rivalry game is expected to be even bigger. Homewood Suites in Fondren reported Monday that it is completely sold out of rooms for the weekend.

Stayed at the Westin for the Spring Championship game, meet some UAPB fans great atmosphere, service and drinks.

society GIF

When Valley played Alcorn (on that Sunday) when the Stadium was jam-packed, my folks made me sit in the aisle........

I was in Jr High....

It'd be great to see that kinda crowd again at "The Friendly Confines"......
Right!!! No cussing out the other fans, throwing trash at opposing players, no spitting, wanting to fight.

I look forward to this friendly rivalry.

When Valley played Alcorn (on that Sunday) when the Stadium was jam-packed, my folks made me sit in the aisle........

I was in Jr High....

It'd be great to see that kinda crowd again at "The Friendly Confines"......
That's the phrase I been missing that embodies the feeling that the JSU faithful have whenever we ascend that concrete ramp on either the home or visitors side....That view that will almost take your breath away in "The Friendly Confines Of MS Veterans Memorial Stadium." (Those who know, know what I mean)!

JSU Alumni Relations Director David Howard will be cheering for the Tigers.

“When you have the best coaching staff led by Coach Prime, the best quarterback, the best defense, the best fans, and the best band in the land, you can’t help but to be excited.”

Alcorn fans are just as excited. In fact, they have billboards around town promoting the game and team. Theresa Kennedy says gameday will put Alcorn’s skills on display.

“Showcasing the talent that we have, the players on the field, the student-athletes, the band, the cheerleaders, and all the other persons involved. It’s all about bragging rights,” Alcorn State Alumna Theresa Kennedy.

I would've loved to go to this game physically but I will be there in spirit. There's hardly much of anything I enjoy more than a good ole fashion packed out SWAC event!

The Vet will be the posterchild of black excellence (doctors, lawyers, CEOs, nurses, teachers, etc will be present) and black culture (music, food, bands, dancing, socializing, just the energy will be off the CHAIN).

I highkey pray the crime is low to non-existant.

Back