FAMU's White Snake Has Venom

dacontinent

Preacher
Thought this was interesting. How many other instances have there been of Caucasian starting QB's at an HBCU?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newcomer's Task: Guide FAMU In First D-I Season
By DOUG CARLSON dcarlson@tampatrib.com
Published: Aug 23, 2003

TALLAHASSEE - When Ben Dougherty decided to transfer to Florida A&M after spending the 2001 season at North Iowa Community College, he did so on faith.
He wasn't concerned to be traveling across the country from his home in Elma, Wash., or to be taking a chance on a school where the starting quarterbacks almost always transfer in from a Division I school at the last minute.

Nor was Dougherty concerned to be a Caucasian hoping to win the starting job at a historically black college.

``I just felt like this was the best place for me to be and I believed that everything would fall into place,'' Dougherty said.

The falling-into-place came quickly and without warning on Aug. 11 when the NCAA declared the two quarterbacks competing with Dougherty for the starting job to be ineligible.

Just like that, Clemson transfer Willie Simmons was out of the picture. So, too, was Josh Driscoll, a transfer from Arkansas State who had started games last year at Ole Miss and Georgia.

``We went from a three- horse race to a one-horse race,'' FAMU coach Billy Joe said. ``Ben Dougherty is now our undisputed, bonafide No. 1 quarterback. It is a blessing, because now he will get all the reps in practice and that should get him prepared for the challenge.''

The challenge is to guide FAMU through its first season as a Division I program and a 12-game schedule that includes nine games away from home. The Rattlers play games in faraway locales such as Detroit, Indianapolis and San Francisco.

Oh, and there's also a game just down the road in Gainesville against Florida. That's the only Division I opponent on the schedule.

While FAMU players were disappointed at the news that Simmons, who now is enrolled at The Citadel, wouldn't be eligible, they don't lack confidence in Dougherty, who appeared in three games for the Rattlers last season, completing one pass.

Defensive back Levy Brown, a Division I-AA All-American in 2002, spent part of the summer in voluntary passing drills working with and against the three quarterbacks in the competition for the starting job at the time.

Brown, who had eight interceptions a year ago despite missing three games with a shoulder injury, plans to play both receiver and free safety this season. He both caught and defended passes thrown by Dougherty over the summer and came away impressed.

``Ben is like a smooth, smooth cat,'' Brown said. ``I know he can get the job done.''

Dougherty threw for 6,760 yards and 74 touchdowns as a high school senior in Elma and signed with Iowa State as a bit of a prep legend in Washington. He broke Drew Bledsoe's high school state record for passing yards in a game by throwing for 513 yards.

In the Class 2A state championship game, Dougherty's team trailed 28-6 at the half and he sustained a dislocated finger. But he threw for two touchdowns and ran for 91 yards to lead Elma to a comeback victory and a 13-0 record.

When he was looking for a place to finish his college career, Dougherty said he liked the idea of playing in the Gulf Coast Offense, and didn't see any point in worrying about the other details.

``Florida A&M felt right for me,'' he said. ``Things have a way of working out for the best. I'm happy with my decision.''

Back