FAMU likely to join home schedule ... (South Florida)

Jafus (Thinker)

Reported By I-AA Today

FAMU likely to join home schedule

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer
Published November 23, 2004

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/11/23/Sports/FAMU_likely_to_join_h.shtml

TAMPA - Signs point to South Florida bringing in Florida A&M to fill one of the two remaining dates on its 2005 schedule.

FAMU athletic director Joseph P. Ramsey II , whose school has been in discussions with the Bulls about a trip to Tampa, had a somewhat telling nonanswer when asked about the prospects of playing at USF.

"I really can't say anything, but USF is going to let everyone know whether a game with us might be happening, or not," Ramsey said. "If you check with them soon, they might have some news."

USF isn't in the habit of announcing games it isn't playing, so Ramsey's words point toward the Bulls bringing in the Division I-AA Rattlers. USF athletic director Doug Woolard , reached Monday night, said he wouldn't confirm any opponents until an official announcement.

USF will play seven conference games against Big East opponents and is scheduled to play at Penn State and at home against Central Florida.

Tampa hosted the Florida Classic,FAMU's annual rivalry with Bethune-Cookman, from 1978-96, drawing more than 30,000 fans to Tampa Stadium. A USF-FAMU game, given the Rattlers' strong following in the Tampa area, could put it among USF's biggest home crowds since its first game in 1997.

Jafus (Thinker) said:
Reported By I-AA Today

FAMU likely to join home schedule

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer
Published November 23, 2004

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/11/23/Sports/FAMU_likely_to_join_h.shtml

TAMPA - Signs point to South Florida bringing in Florida A&M to fill one of the two remaining dates on its 2005 schedule.

FAMU athletic director Joseph P. Ramsey II , whose school has been in discussions with the Bulls about a trip to Tampa, had a somewhat telling nonanswer when asked about the prospects of playing at USF.

"I really can't say anything, but USF is going to let everyone know whether a game with us might be happening, or not," Ramsey said. "If you check with them soon, they might have some news."

USF isn't in the habit of announcing games it isn't playing, so Ramsey's words point toward the Bulls bringing in the Division I-AA Rattlers. USF athletic director Doug Woolard , reached Monday night, said he wouldn't confirm any opponents until an official announcement.

USF will play seven conference games against Big East opponents and is scheduled to play at Penn State and at home against Central Florida.

Tampa hosted the Florida Classic,FAMU's annual rivalry with Bethune-Cookman, from 1978-96, drawing more than 30,000 fans to Tampa Stadium. A USF-FAMU game, given the Rattlers' strong following in the Tampa area, could put it among USF's biggest home crowds since its first game in 1997.

Good move...I spoke with a friend of mine at South Florida about GSU playing them in Tampa (The AD at SFlorida is Leroy Selmon, former BUCs all-pro and Doug teammate). He said it was one of the games being looked at but an offer would be made to FAMU first. Good to see it happened...still think it would be a good game for GSU to pursue.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
MikeBigg said:
Good move...I spoke with a friend of mine at South Florida about GSU playing them in Tampa (The AD at SFlorida is Leroy Selmon, former BUCs all-pro and Doug teammate). He said it was one of the games being looked at but an offer would be made to FAMU first. Good to see it happened...still think it would be a good game for GSU to pursue.

The thing about that Mike is I don't know if USF could come up with enough of a guarantee to make it worth Grambling's while. The trip itself would cost in excess of 100K.

That is unless they get some sponsors lined up and call it a Classic of some sort.

PNeck019 said:
The thing about that Mike is I don't know if USF could come up with enough of a guarantee to make it worth Grambling's while. The trip itself would cost in excess of 100K.

That is unless they get some sponsors lined up and call it a Classic of some sort.

After posting, I noticed that Leroy Selmon isn't the AD anymore at USF. When did that change? I don't know what their stadium capacity is but, what if they used the Buccaneer's stadium? Now that would generate enuff revenue to make it a nice payday for all concerned.

Back