Famu 2002 Football Schedule

MACHIAVELLI

Chairman/C.E.O.
8/31.....AT MIAMI
9/7.......MORRIS BROWN
9/14.....MORGAN ST. (RIVERFRONT CLASSIC)
9/21......AT DELAWARE ST.
9/28.....TENN. ST.... (ATLANTA CLASSIC)
10/5......SCSU
10/12.....HOWARD
10/19.....NCA&T
10/26.....NORFOLK
11/2.......AT TROY ST.
11/9.......OPEN
11/16.....OPEN
11/23.....BCC (FLORDIA CLASSIC)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI
8/31.....AT MIAMI
9/7.......MORRIS BROWN
9/14.....MORGAN ST. (RIVERFRONT CLASSIC)
9/21......AT DELAWARE ST.
9/28.....TENN. ST.... (ATLANTA CLASSIC)
10/5......SCSU
10/12.....HOWARD
10/19.....NCA&T
10/26.....NORFOLK
11/2.......AT TROY ST.
11/9.......OPEN
11/16.....OPEN
11/23.....BCC (FLORDIA CLASSIC)

..........Kinda' interesting to see that they would schedule a conference game at the Classic in Cincinnatti....the "marquee" schools(I-AA) must have had conflicts.....Not trying to slight Morgan State but they haven't had any name recognition since the "ICON" played them in Yankee Stadium(the announced crowd attendance back then was 60,118).

No smack........just an observation!!!!

FAMU'S FINAL 2002 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

Aug.31-at Miami
Sept.7-Morris Brown
Sept.14-at Morgan St.(Cincinnati Riverfront)
Sept.21-at Delaware St.
Sept.28-Tennessee St. (Atlanta Classic)
Oct.5-South Carolina St.
Oct.12-Howard
Oct.19-North Carolina A&T
Oct.26-Norfolk St.
Nov.2-Hampton
Nov.9-at Troy St. (Mobile,Al)
Nov.23-at B-CC (Florida Classic)

No SWAC schools scheduled this year........

Originally posted by BLUEBENGAL
FAMU'S FINAL 2002 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

Aug.31-at Miami
Sept.7-Morris Brown
Sept.14-at Morgan St.(Cincinnati Riverfront)
Sept.21-at Delaware St.
Sept.28-Tennessee St. (Atlanta Classic)
Oct.5-South Carolina St.
Oct.12-Howard
Oct.19-North Carolina A&T
Oct.26-Norfolk St.
Nov.2-Hampton
Nov.9-at Troy St. (Mobile,Al)
Nov.23-at B-CC (Florida Classic)

.........but an interesting article none the less!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rattlers' Baker, Collier believe it's their time to run
By Michael Wallace
DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

Former Tallahassee prep standouts Edward Baker and E.J. Collier knew the time would come when they'd get their shot in Florida A&M's backfield.

Neither had any idea it would take three years.

"I had got to a point where I was just ready to give it up, just letting go of football here," said Baker, who figured his successful career at Leon High would immediately carry over when he signed with FAMU in 1999. "This whole thing has strengthened me as a religious man. I spent a lot of time talking to my family and my pastor. All I kept hearing was 'Hang in there. Your time will come."'

Although much of the attention during spring practice has centered around the adjustment of star Division I-A transfer quarterback Casey Printers, the future of FAMU's offense is actually behind him. Baker and Collier, a Lincoln High product, enter Saturday's decisive Orange and Green game as the top two tailbacks on FAMU's depth chart.

Both are redshirt juniors who spent the past two seasons awaiting their opportunities while playing behind the experienced tandem of Kelsie Lordeus and O.J. Marchbanks. Attrition - although Lordeus is petitioning the NCAA to regain a year of eligibility - has finally created some daylight in the backfield for the former All-Big Bend selections.

"It's good to finally have a chance," Collier said. "The opportunity is here and we have no other choice but to give it what we've got."

Neither provides the size, physical strength and blocking ability FAMU got from the Marchbanks-Lordeus tandem the past two years. But FAMU coach Billy Joe hopes the smaller and quicker backs provide the team with a better passing threat out of the backfield. Baker (5-10, 190) and Collier (5-9, 175) have accepted and embraced their roles this spring.

"I think both of them realize what could be ahead of them," Joe said. "Knowing now that the starters have graduated and moved on, it's their time to stand front and center. They're ready for it and have the ability to do an outstanding job."

Both have shown flashes of potential. Baker rushed for a game- and career-high 66 yards in FAMU's win over Howard last season. He played in six games last season and rushed for 100 yards on eight carries.

Collier returned kickoffs last season and displayed his elusive, cut-back running style. The difference in their roles now: "We're the teachers," said Baker, who credits Marchbanks and Lordeus for leaving behind high expectations. "We've learned from what Kelsie and O.J. taught us. Now, E.J. and I are always on each other. He tells me what's going wrong with me and I do the same for him."

They've formed a brotherly relationship over the years. Although their high schools are separated by less than 10 miles, neither knew much about the other despite the reputation they shared as the city's top tailbacks.

Baker gained more than 2,000 yards in his last two seasons at Leon, and Collier rushed for 1,091 yards and 15 touchdowns as a senior.

Baker signed with FAMU after a scholarship offer from Alabama fell through. Collier was ushered toward FAMU by family. He is a third-generation Rattler, following in the footsteps of a grandfather who played under legendary coach Jake Gaither and a father who played in the 1970s for Rudy Hubbard.

Baker and Collier already established a history with FAMU. They plan to have a future there together - one that starts now.

"Things are much more intense," Collier said. "There was some pressure because we're both local guys. But we've learned to take things in stride. People have been asking for three years when would they see us out there. Hopefully, now is the time."

:eek2: WOW! FAMU doesn't have ANY SWAC teams scheduled this year? FAMU always has at least ONE SWAC team on their schedule. Was their a conflict or just an issue of conflicting dates? I can't imagine FAMU not scheduling their old rivals Grambling, Southern and Jackson State.

:confused:

I think it was...........

Originally posted by JayThomas
:eek2: WOW! FAMU doesn't have ANY SWAC teams scheduled this year? FAMU always has at least ONE SWAC team on their schedule. Was their a conflict or just an issue of conflicting dates? I can't imagine FAMU not scheduling their old rivals Grambling, Southern and Jackson State.

:confused:

.......a little of both: Conflicts and conflicting dates. Most times I try not to speak for other schools, but Grambling does not schedule FAMU on a yearly basis. We beat them in the Circle City Classic(2000) and last year we were scheduled to play in Cincinnati but "911" caused the game to be canceled. The only school(I think) that had scheduled them on a home & home basis was Southern and that series(for whatever reason) was discontinued after 2001. I don't think JSU had a yearly series with them either, but if I'm wrong the respective alumni will get it right.

This story was taken from ESPN...........

Fine Print
by Bruce Feldman

The state of Florida has two Heisman hopefuls at quarterback this season -- and a potential third candidate if Chris Rix continues to shine as brightly as he has this spring. But the most intriguing QB story in Tallahassee is actually playing out across town at 1-AA Florida A&M, where former TCU star Casey Printers has surfaced.

The 6'3", 210-pound senior, a three-year starter for the Horned Frogs, surprised his TCU coaches when he decided to leave Ft. Worth. The reason, according to Printers, is simple: he was frustrated. Frustrated that he wasn't getting the chance to play in a system where he could grow. Frustrated that he couldn't throw the ball 30-40 times every game. And frustrated that he wasn't getting showcased for Heisman consideration.

"Things just weren't getting better for me," says the DeSoto, Tex. native, who passed for 4,621 yards and 37 touchdowns while going 22-9 as a three-year starter at TCU. "I wasn't getting a chance to reach my individual goals of throwing for 3000 yards or being an all-American. At TCU, it just wasn't gonna happen. I don't want to seem like a whiner, so I just decided this was what's best for me."

What's best for Printers is one of the top 1-AA programs in America, a school whose intricate pass-oriented Gulf Coast offense (think West Coast O with a southern drawl) has been piloted by four 1-A transfers in the past six seasons. An equally important reason why Printers picked FAMU over Alabama State and Southern was the Rattlers' high-profile schedule -- they'll open up at defending champion Miami next season. Printers also likes that he'll have four returning starters at receiver to throw to.

Under old TCU coach Dennis Franchione, the Horned Frogs' scheme would be tweaked to suit personnel. Fran has done that at his other coaching stops, from passing it 35-plus times per game with Stoney Case at New Mexico to letting LaDainian Tomlinson tote the rock 40 times at TCU.

Printers, who was L.T.'s QB in 2000 and finished fourth in the nation in passing efficiency (156.7), figured once the star TB moved on to the NFL, he'd be The Man in Ft. Worth. Instead, coach Gary Patterson continued to stress the ground game last season and the Horned Frogs struggled to a 6-6 mark. "I think I could've been a Heisman guy," says Printers. "If they had done for me [with the offense and the school's vigorous promo campaign] what they did for LaDainian. It was the perfect situation and I felt like it was gonna be my deal. But I guess not."

.......According to this article it looks like the SWAC missed a potential "Heisman" Candidate;) Printers picked FAMU over Alabama State and Southern

If I was guaranteed the starting job at FAMU I would go too. That's what was best for him.

MikeBigg,

JSU and FAMU had a 4 year series from '95-'98, I believe. It may have been 6 years, but FAMU dropped us to play Miami in '99. Haven't played them since.

Back