Explanation of JSU uncharacteristic season???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dagreightone

MikeBig,

What's wrong w/ JSU this year I haven't had a chance to really watch any of their games and needless to say I didn't get a chance to make it to the game Sat... But, I want to know what the real problem with them is??? I hear alot of different things about the coach and about Kent, but I refuse to believe that the coach and Kent are the only problems... After watching the game Sat, I would really appreciate it if you would give me an honest explanation on what you think is going wrong... Anyone that has watched JSU and wants to interject an honest non-smack opinion feel free to do so?

New Coach making mistakes + Old Coaches still hanging around + New System the players are just starting to get used to + Injuries taking out half the starting defense + a tougher schedule(SU, ASU, A&T are all much improved) = 2-7.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
All that what he said above and the fact that the coach's system ain't worth a dayum! If you pay attention to what jsu is doing now. They are basically going back to Assberry's playbook or should I say Shannon's playbook. The problem is that they don't know how to call the plays.

Anytime a coach calls a sweep with 3 and forever against a team showing blitz from the corners, something should go off in your head that tells you this guy don't know what he's doing. For some reason, none of the Mafia folks (exception for JST) has figured it out yet.

To be totally honest, Bell is a good person to teach fundamentals. The problem is play calling. He doesn't know how to call the appropriate plays to get the results that you need to win. 1st downs and Touchdowns is what you should be going for everytime you send a play in.

Also, jsu's players are simply not conditioned to go a whole game anymore. If you look at the way they've played. It started out playing only 2 quarters and now has increased to 3. The only reason they are improving is because of their schedule requiring them to pull from deep within themselves for the energy to make it to the end. Something that they haven't been able to do against good and conditioned teams. They are really going to need this new weight room and S&C coach in the off season. You can't win games with out of shape players. Their lines on both sides of the ball are out of shape and wear down quickly.

Don't be mad, I'm just giving my opinion. This is the sports board, right?

The plays we're using now aren't from Shannon's playbook. I don't know where u got that info from.

Originally posted by JSU/99
The plays we're using now aren't from Shannon's playbook. I don't know where u got that info from.

Here we go again. Did you even read what I said? I said that this was in my opinion. Not something that someone told me. If someone tells me something I look for it myself then I say it, unless the source is very credible!

Why you getting your feathers all ruffled? It's already safe to say that Bell isn't a good hire. You do have your worst season in years. When you lose again, it will be more than you've ever lost. You need to get ready for this because it's gonna happen.

No smack, just looking at the teams you have left and how they are playing now.

Originally posted by Mike
Here we go again. Did you even read what I said? I said that this was in my opinion. Not something that someone told me. If someone tells me something I look for it myself then I say it, unless the source is very credible!

Why you getting your feathers all ruffled? It's already safe to say that Bell isn't a good hire. You do have your worst season in years. When you lose again, it will be more than you've ever lost. You need to get ready for this because it's gonna happen.

No smack, just looking at the teams you have left and how they are playing now.

"If you pay attention to what jsu is doing now. They are basically going back to Assberry's playbook or should I say Shannon's playbook. The problem is that they don't know how to call the plays." You stated that as a fact, not an opinion. That's why I made my comment. No feather's are getting ruffled here. This season is very disapointing. But with the way the program has been run the past 4 years, we had it coming.

Once again, it seems that everyone is blaming it on the head coach (which I must concur is a big problem). Nevertheless doesn't the team have to come together and just say ?well I'm tired of getting my arse roasted, we are going to win the next game?? To me they have enough talent to win 6 ball games w/ out a coach (over exaggerated that a little) however you see my point. I think it's more than the coach. The guys have been playing together for at least 3 seasons I thought so they should be able to put some type of plan together themselves. Meaning they should take the initiative to study film, study their own playbook and go to the weight room and run on their own. In my opinion, those guys should do some of those things themselves and I bet their season would be a lot better. This is my point; proper execution of plays is what wins football games. I understand that he will make some mistakes calling plays, but if the team were to execute the plays that he calls correctly properly I think they would have a better season.

I do not think JSU schedule is any tougher than anyone else in the SWAC {ASU, A&T, SU}. I could be mistaken, but didn?t they play the same teams last season. The problem with JSU is it?s coaching staff and the lack of ?initiative? on behalf of the team. I think at this point in the season the team has given up and is just going through the motions.

Originally posted by Dr. H
I do not think JSU schedule is any tougher than anyone else in the SWAC {ASU, A&T, SU}. I could be mistaken, but didn?t they play the same teams last season. The problem with JSU is it?s coaching staff and the lack of ?initiative? on behalf of the team. I think at this point in the season the team has given up and is just going through the motions.

Wrong. The team is playing better now than at any point in the season. And the schedule is tougher this year.

I think our lack of success this year is a combination of several things. But I don't think that any one or two things outweight the other things. We simply aren't as good as we're accustomed to being. I think we've gotten better as the season has progressed, but we're still working.

We'll be back..... JSU doesn't make it a habit of losing, and everybody knows it...... So if you've beaten us this year, enjoy it....

:smh:

Don't be mad, I'm just giving my opinion. This is the sports board, right?

Umm jsu/99!

Did you think to finish reading the entire post before you jump to an ASSumption?

Dude, you can't be that blind! Just reading what you want and trying to make isht up as you go. Don't get mad at me! Get mad at Culberson and Bell. They are the ones that put you in this situation. Not ME!

Originally posted by Dr. H

:confused: Is this the Sports Board or the Confusion Corner? Our schedule is no tougher than A&T and SU? Given up and going through the motions?

What school you represent again Dr. H?

Wrong. The team is playing better now than at any point in the season. And the schedule is tougher this year.

The only team you played that wasn't on your schedule last year was Northwestern. Is that what you are talking about or are you saying that everyone in the SWAC and TnSU got that much better than you?

So far, that dog won't hunt!

Umm jsu/99!

Did you think to finish reading the entire post before you jump to an ASSumption?

Dude, you can't be that blind! Just reading what you want and trying to make isht up as you go. Don't get mad at me! Get mad at Culberson and Bell. They are the ones that put you in this situation. Not ME!

Mike, my alma mater is the one that's 2-7. So why are you the one all up in arms? The only thing in your post that I took issue with was the assertion that we've now gone back to the old playbook. You said that as if you knew what you were talking about, so I called you out on it.

darightone,

First of all, Mike does not know what the "L" he is talking about as usual neither does Dr. H.

This is football. About three years ago, when we lost to Gram...a lot of JSU fans were in the lot discussing what should happen to our program....some said get a DC, others said get a new staff.. at that point, we realized that getting a new staff would only set us back. We were only winning seven games a year with an offense that had been in place since 1994. Last year, we beat teams with losing records or team that were down when we played them (a 1-5 SU team and an Alcorn team that lost 4 of their last 5 games). The we beat a team without a clue on offense (AAMU). All they had to do was get in field goal range and they never did the entire game long. Had Hughes played a good TNState team, SU team and a AAMU team that could cross the 50, we could have had a losing season last year. This is why we fired a 7-4 coach. Football is not about wins and losses but quality wins and losses... Beating AAMU and down TNState andSU teams is nothing to brag about. That is all Hughes could do.

I said all of that to say that our program took a dip during the Hughes-Asberry era. We simply have to rebuild. They would be 2-7 or no better better than 4-4 at this point under last year's staff. I would rather be 2-7 with hope for the future than 4-4 with coaches who have no clue. Bell has a lot to correct. We are also playing with the least talented team we have played with in years becasue of injury. Now does this excuse a 2-7 start??.. no it does not because coaching should be able to overcome a lack of talent...we see Pete do it all the time.

JSU is having our third losing season in 30 years. The last was under Coach Gordon. Expect good things from Bell. Nothing is going wrong at JSU. In fact, everything is going right. A lot of people have short memories. The last time JSU lost to an undefeated SU teams, it was by 12 points. We scored 20 on AlaState last year and 20 on then this year but because Bell is the coach, the 20 from this year is less than 20 from last year.

As Taylor-Made said....if you beat JSU this year enjoy it. I can' t see us losing any more games but I see that Mike can see it. It's a shame that the 1-15 folk have to pray for a team to be down to get a win. :(

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The only team you played that wasn't on your schedule last year was Northwestern. Is that what you are talking about or are you saying that everyone in the SWAC and TnSU got that much better than you?

So far, that dog won't hunt!

Mike, if you had a logical mind, you would see this.

What was TNState's record last year? 2-9....and Hughes still managed a whopping three point win.

Didn't SU lost to AAMU last year? That should tell you something.

A&T was 4-7 last year and they still beat us.

Even TxSO (whom we did not play) and UAPB are better this year.

Originally posted by mighty hornet
What is that based on??????

no kidding

If you're seeking an honest answer(which you aren't), all you have to do is read between the lines.

If you're seeking an honest answer(which you aren't), all you have to do is read between the lines.
dude
:(

Indeed I was seeking an "honest answer". That's why I included that "no kidding"

Heck, if I was kidding, there is a whole lot in this thread that I could/would have quoted.

no need to get so defensive.

sheesh

MH,

Just like people outside of JSU were fooled by the 7-4, they are fooled by the 2-7. Bell had a lot more to over come than most realize. I will be glad when he gets the type of offense he want installed and gets a healthy defense back.....and get a dayum kicker. I am very happy that Bell is at JSU, 2-7 and all. Bell does not have a 7-5 team nor is he playing teams with losing records to get us there undeservingly. However, I think that a good coach should be able to coach any team in BCF to 7-5. Right now, I am going to use the injuries and the new system to give Bell a chance. I see where he wants to go with this team and his direction is the right one....if he can pull it off. SU and AAMU suffered last year installing new systems and Alcorn went to "L" when injuries set in. True enough, we are JSU....that is why SU and Gram had tough times with us...but we are not perfect......yet.......we are not as beautiful as we used to be. I'm just glad Hughes is gone.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
True enough, we are JSU....that is why SU and Gram had tough times with us...but we are not perfect......yet.......we are not as beautiful as we used to be. I'm just glad Hughes is gone.

Amen! :nod:

Originally posted by mighty hornet
dude
:(

Indeed I was seeking an "honest answer". That's why I included that "no kidding"

Heck, if I was kidding, there is a whole lot in this thread that I could/would have quoted.

no need to get so defensive.

sheesh

MH, no one's getting defensive. But you can't be seeking an honest answer while at the same time ignoring what's already been written. A variation of this same thread is started at least once a week on this board. And on every one, someone from JSU explains(in detail) both the reasons for our current state and why we're optimistic for the future. Now if you've missed those threads, my sincere apologies. But if you have read them, then your question has already been answered. If you disagree with the explanations, just say that.

As for me, I'm not broken up about this season. Being 2-7 is hard, but if that's the price you pay for years of neglect. Those close to the program will tell you that a lot of the things Bell is doing now should've been done all along. The work he's putting in now will definately pay off in the near future.

In the famous words of Jesse Jackson "Keep Hope Alive". I'm glad you guys have confidence in Bell.

Bell does take a lot of blame from the JSU alum and it's just sad. It's not TOTALLY his fault of the way things have gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back