ESPN's NFL Countdown

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
Did anyone else catch the show this morning?

They spent the first 15 minutes of the show apologizing about what happen and how none of them really caught what he was saying. They all spoke about how they really didn't want Rush there and you got the feeling how they pressed for him to be released from the show.

Berman & Co. apologize for Rush's comments

Associated Press
NEW YORK
-- ESPN's NFL pregame show returned Sunday with an apology -- and without Rush Limbaugh -- a week after the commentator's race-tinged comments about Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb.

Chris Berman, Tom Jackson, Steve Young and Michael Irvin took criticism from the media, as well as McNabb, for not responding when Limbaugh suggested on the Sept. 28 "Sunday NFL Countdown" show that McNabb was overrated because the media wants to see a black quarterback succeed.

"Do I wish that I had caught it in hindsight? Absolutely," Jackson said Sunday. "Do I regret that I didn't? Yes. But I'm human. Mostly, I regret that I missed it for Donovan McNabb's sake. I regret that."

Limbaugh resigned from the show Wednesday, and later said he was leaving so the sports network's employees would be spared the uproar over his remarks. He denied that his comments were racially motivated.

On Sunday, following a video recap of the happenings of the past week -- including a replay of Limbaugh's original comments -- the ESPN panelists offered their thoughts on the controversy.

Though they agreed that someone should have responded to Limbaugh right away, Young compared it to viewing game film the week after having missed an open receiver in the end zone.

"We all missed it. I missed it. And the truth is, everyone at ESPN missed it," the former quarterback said.

Berman said: "I have been kicking myself all week."

Jackson criticized the network's decision to bring Limbaugh aboard.

"Rush Limbaugh is known for the divisive nature of his rhetoric," Jackson said. "He creates controversy, and what he said Sunday is the same type of thing that he said on radio for years."

Before McNabb led the Eagles to a 23-13 victory over the Buffalo Bills, Limbaugh said on ESPN's pregame show that he didn't think McNabb was as good as perceived from the start.

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well," Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

McNabb, who was outspoken about being disturbed by the lack of argument from the other panelists, didn't seem to be holding a grudge against the network.

Later in the program, he participated in a humorous segment where a woman who follows feng shui said the Eagles new stadium, Lincoln Financial Field, had good vibes.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Truth be known a lot of us didn't catch it immediately, but of course we won't admit it.

I thought they handled it real well. Good comments.

and JST, I got the impression that Tom Jackson really wants to kick limbaugh's arse!

Tom's always been my favorite. I don't think he was faking it...bruh was hot, but he handle himself in a dignified way.

.......yeah JST, I got that impression from TJ as well. I also got the impression that he was so mad, he still couldn't say what he reallty wanted to say, but nonetheless, I thought they all handled the situation well.

Off topic, did any of you catch "Outside The Lines" yesterday? I will admit there are a lot of issues I agree with Armstrong Williams on, but yesterday on the show I thought he made a complete arse of himself, and was really reaching to make a point.

NICE

Poor Armstrong Williams...:( That brother was in way over his head yesterday. I like the man, and alot of his issues in politics I happen to agree with. But he has been trying to hard this week to defend Rush, when this time there is really no defense for Rush. But he kept trying, but yetsreday he got his bluff called!!

TJ looked as if he wanted to grab rush by the neck and beat his arse!!

Memo to self, don't mess with TJ :lmao:

Quick Question about Sterling Sharpe

Another Off Topic: I like Michael Irvin. But why did Sterling Sharpe leave the show???

Re: Quick Question about Sterling Sharpe

Originally posted by NASTYNUPE
Another Off Topic: I like Michael Irvin. But why did Sterling Sharpe leave the show???

While I don't know the 'network's' answer, here's what I think was certainly a part of the decision....

One of ESPN's biggest TV markets is the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. And Michael Irvin is still a big draw around here. And with him on Fax's Best Dayum Sports Show Period, was certainly seen as direct 'competition' for the ESPN station here.... So I think they 'hired' Michael Irvin to help boost their numbers here in Dallas. And I think it's worked.... The Dallas Cowboys now have a 'representative' sitting on the set with alongside a former 49er...

That's what I think.... But what do I know.:smh:

:dude:

Re: Re: Quick Question about Sterling Sharpe

Thanks. I think ole Sterling would have called Rush out. He didn't have a problem voicing his opinions.

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90
While I don't know the 'network's' answer, here's what I think was certainly a part of the decision....

One of ESPN's biggest TV markets is the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. And Michael Irvin is still a big draw around here. And with him on Fax's Best Dayum Sports Show Period, was certainly seen as direct 'competition' for the ESPN station here.... So I think they 'hired' Michael Irvin to help boost their numbers here in Dallas. And I think it's worked.... The Dallas Cowboys now have a 'representative' sitting on the set with alongside a former 49er...

That's what I think.... But what do I know.:smh:

:dude:

Back