ESPN3 and how it works

In_The_662

Deeeeep In The Delta.....
How ESPN3 works for those who wonder how it works:

An ESPN broadcast usually falls up under one of 3 categories:

1. ESPN pays all the associated costs and every one working is either contracted by ESPN or ESPN Events

2. ESPN (or an associated company) pays for announcers and some associated costs and the school/conference provides the rest (roughly 50-50 split)

3. ESPN does nothing but accept the feed, verify it meets their minimum standards and redistribute.
I think 3 is the option that SWAC schools could look at because not only does it provide an outlet for those interested in broadcasting to build their resume by doing an actual ESPN broadcast but it also helps schools improve their streaming capabilities by meeting the standards set by ESPN

How ESPN3 works for those who wonder how it works:

An ESPN broadcast usually falls up under one of 3 categories:

1. ESPN pays all the associated costs and every one working is either contracted by ESPN or ESPN Events

2. ESPN (or an associated company) pays for announcers and some associated costs and the school/conference provides the rest (roughly 50-50 split)

3. ESPN does nothing but accept the feed, verify it meets their minimum standards and redistribute.
I think 3 is the option that SWAC schools could look at because not only does it provide an outlet for those interested in broadcasting to build their resume by doing an actual ESPN broadcast but it also helps schools improve their streaming capabilities by meeting the standards set by ESPN

It's shameful we already aren't doing this.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I wonder how much does it cost to go with #3.

I know the Swac should get rid of that structure they have now for streaming and just stream on youtube. It's a lot more stable than what they are doing now and it's a proven medium.

Their standards aren't cheap and the infrastructure has to be solid to pull it off. Just to meet the standards in some places will require fiber upgrades and start up money for graphics, etc. How do you make the money back if inventory is not avaliable?

A mom aND pop stream works just fine if your understaffed and just to show the game.

Back