Epic 2000 battle: Human Jukebox (SU) vs The Marching Wolverines (Morris Brown)

I never knew that Morris Brown was considerwed to be "on top of the band world," or that they were considered a rival to SU.

I never knew that Morris Brown was considerwed to be "on top of the band world," or that they were considered a rival to SU.

During that time they were the new kids on the block as far as popularity but they were pretty popular in the band world from maybe 99ish - 2002ish. That band in 2000 was very impressive I must admit.

What I used to like about Morris Brown's Band is when they would have a game in Atlanta, that MC would smack the hell out of a visiting band. You couldn't go through there half-stepping at half time. I got a chance to see Grambling, Texas Southern, South Carolina State visit MBC in Atlanta.

ALWAYS enjoyed seeing the Marching Wolverines. Altho they weren't on the SWAC's radar, they were mostly impressive sans certain years when they weren't that great. The Pride of the AUC and the SIAC when they were members. Something I really miss seeing.

View: https://youtu.be/A5kGeaBuPdA

Does Morris Brown still exist, and, if so, does it still field a marching band today?

A little known or forgotten fact......A good part of Drumline was filmed on MBC's campus and their band members performed in the movie.

Are they going through troubles? I looked up Selma University and they don’t even have a website
Does Morris Brown still exist, and, if so, does it still field a marching band today?

Yes, the college still exists but has 'operated' unaccredited since 2001-2002, that means NO FEDERAL STUDENT LOAN $$$$ which dropped enrollment to under 100 students, but the school has never closed. they've operated and held on by a wing and a prayer. Keep in mind, MBC was founded by
African-American Methodists FOR US. Im a Morehouse man as is my dad, my brother, my nephews but I have many friends who came thru MBC. My dad's lodge brothers were mostly MBC alums, entrepeneurs, etc.

The still have homecoming in the fall and they have alumni who make up the current MBC band altho its nothing like it was before.

this video is 2 years old

View: https://youtu.be/lqBDroKx6sA

What I used to like about Morris Brown's Band is when they would have a game in Atlanta, that MC would smack the hell out of a visiting band. You couldn't go through there half-stepping at half time. I got a chance to see Grambling, Texas Southern, South Carolina State visit MBC in Atlanta.
I was at that Gram vs mbc game...I thought rain wouldn't sat both bands down but mbc was sorta small ( considering that was their last home game) but both bands impressed me stand battle was pretty even and section battles were pretty nice too. Mbc was more consistent but halftime went well from both and the fifth ended with mbc leaving and gsu staying and playing four more songs until they were forced to leave. Txsu held it down vs them too..howard an bcu use to give mbc he'll though.

I was at that Gram vs mbc game...I thought rain wouldn't sat both bands down but mbc was sorta small ( considering that was their last home game) but both bands impressed me stand battle was pretty even and section battles were pretty nice too. Mbc was more consistent but halftime went well from both and the fifth ended with mbc leaving and gsu staying and playing four more songs until they were forced to leave. Txsu held it down vs them too..howard an bcu use to give mbc he'll though.

Was that in 2000 or 2001? Because I don't see Howard or BCU giving MBC in 2000 or 01 hell.

That's was a biased perspective. Hate to say it, but MBC had Grambling & TXSU for lunch.....LOL

If it was 2000 or 2001 I would have to agree. MBC peaked during a time when ATL had become close to what New Orleans was on the high school level and they were getting all of those kids to come through. Then they were smart because they copied stuff from all of the top bands (SU, JSU, FAMU) and meshed it all together.

If it was 2000 or 2001 I would have to agree. MBC peaked during a time when ATL had become close to what New Orleans was on the high school level and they were getting all of those kids to come through. Then they were smart because they copied stuff from all of the top bands (SU, JSU, FAMU) and meshed it all together.

I am not completely sure what the back story is but do know they had the utmost respect for Dr. Greggs which preceded the guy that was actually the band director during that time frame.

Was that in 2000 or 2001? Because I don't see Howard or BCU giving MBC in 2000 or 01 hell.
Clips are online that was 00 01 and 02 howard was very great back then and bcu was veryyyyy good due to their book now is what was popular back in that time I remember howard coming there in 02 and damn remember those were the years many bands were good.

Man that used to be my local go to swac'ish type band. And they had some pretty good matchups there. Texas Southern, Norfolk State, and Howard came in there and smacked them real nice though. Man I got tapes of probably all of their home games somewhere. No idea where I put them at though. Hell I had a whole box at one point.

Back