Elance, Freelancer, MLM and other alternative streams of income???

BulldogM.Ed.23

Bulldog Fan/Supporter
I wanted to know if any TSPNers do any of the above. I just registered with www.elance.com & www.freelancer.com as an expirement to see what might happen. As for Multi-level Marketing, I at one-time was a #1 critic of this. Anytime, someone would approach and share with me some type of MLM opportunity, I would shunned it down with disgust. Recently, someone I know that is very close to me, got involved in a MLM opportunity, and appears to be doing very well (I do know that apperances can be decieving). So I've tried to look at MLM with a different attitude. Still not feeling it though....thanks in advance for your input and comments....

Last edited:
I have never tried it, but one of my partners from the yard has been doing MLM since 1995 and is very successful at it.

I have seen a few people do good with MLM's. I thought about herballife but really not my style. Doesn't fit my persona.

Aye BulldogM.Ed.23, look up my boy on facebook. I heard he has a nice site. His name is Micheal Coleman JR. You might know that cat. He is from Detroit.

MLMs only work for the very few who are at the top. For everyone else it's a money and time waster. Plain ole pyramid schemes.

MLMs only work for the very few who are at the top. For everyone else it's a money and time waster. Plain ole pyramid schemes.

That's what I always believed. Yet this person has really gone out the way and has been recognzed by higher ups in the company. They were even able to get qualified for a luxury car. My first thought was, a successful MLM company will have to throw things at you to keep you hustling for those at the top to make it seem as if you really are advancing. Yet, again I'm trying to look at things with an open mind.

....One could just start their own MLM and have people hustle for them...but then I'd feel like I'm pimpin and pimpin ain't easy...LOL!

Last edited:
That's what I always believed. Yet this person has really gone out the way and has been recognzed by higher ups in the company. They were even able to get qualified for a luxury car. My first thought was, a successful MLM company will have to throw things at you to keep you hustling for those at the top to make it seem as if you really are advancing. Yet, again I'm trying to look at things with an open mind.

....One could just start their own MLM and have people hustle for them...but then I'd feel like I'm pimpin and pimpin ain't easy...LOL!

All MLM's are not the same. Some like Mary Kay and the sex toy companies seem to have stable growth

All MLM's are not the same. Some like Mary Kay and the sex toy companies seem to have stable growth

True, the ones that are centered around a product tend to do well. You're basically a salesman there. A lot of these other companies however, all they sell you is dreams. I've had more than one person try to pitch me on these schemes. You buy in just for the right to bring others in and so on. Rarely does any product actually get sold. Ask those cats who got involved in that coffee scheme.

True, the ones that are centered around a product tend to do well. You're basically a salesman there. A lot of these other companies however, all they sell you is dreams. I've had more than one person try to pitch me on these schemes. You buy in just for the right to bring others in and so on. Rarely does any product actually get sold. Ask those cats who got involved in that coffee scheme.

Me too. I avoid them like the plague. Herbal life has me curious though. A lot of my workout partners make good money off of that stuff.

Elance and Freelancer.com are a monumental waste of time. You can find plenty of work, just don't expect to be paid much.

MLMs are simply not my thing. Unless you are an Indian willing to work for minimum wage, I agree that Elance, Freelancer, Guru type sights are a waste of time. I also been on those sites looking for someone to hire. It is extremely hard to find people you can trust because U.S. laws don't protect you from the scammers.

Last edited:
I made money with Ambit Energy which is a good idea, but tough for people with a suntan because our folks prefer to buy from people without a suntan. I made some money, but the people I sponsored didn't keep up the momentum because the customers with a suntan kept having bad credit and we couldn't switch them to the cheaper electricity because of the credit causing them to require a deposit, I still use them for my electric company because their rates and service are good.

I made money with Ambit Energy which is a good idea, but tough for people with a suntan because our folks prefer to buy from people without a suntan. I made some money, but the people I sponsored didn't keep up the momentum because the customers with a suntan kept having bad credit and we couldn't switch them to the cheaper electricity because of the credit causing them to require a deposit, I still use them for my electric company because their rates and service are good.
That's good pvdogteam. I just hooked up with Ignite (Stream Energy). Very similar to Ambit.

Whether MLM's or real estate ALL of us should be building passive income & teaching our kids to do the same.

"pyramid scheme?" We gotta stop thinking anything that makes you big $$$ is illegal.

Last edited:
That's good pvdogteam. I just hooked up with Ignite (Stream Energy). Very similar to Ambit.

Whether MLM's or real estate ALL of us should be building passive income & teaching our kids to do the same.

"pyramid scheme?" We gotta stop thinking anything that makes you big $$$ is illegal.

Nevaehinvesting, I remember 12 years ago on this very site, you gave some good advice on what a couple should do when they get their first home. Had I did what you suggested when I first read it, I could have had my home almost paid off by now, smh & LOL at the same time...I'm such a hard headed person....

Here it is...

1) If you can, try to pay a little extra a month on your loan. Make sure to tell the mortgage company to apply the extra money that you pay over the amount due, "to the principle." The interest that you pay is a function of the total principle balance. Here's an example:

Picture a 100K house, 7.5% interest rate, financed over a 30yr loan. The payments would be $699.22/month for 30yrs. That means you would have paid $251,719.20 for that 100K house.(this is how banks make money)
But let's say you were to pay $699.22/month and then an additional $75/month applied to the principle for a total of $774.22/month. That would bring your 'loan lenth' down to 22.08yrs as opposed to 30yrs. Also, instead of paying the 251K total that we figured above, your total after 22.08yrs would be $205,137.
Lets do the numbers for paying an additional $150/month. That 251K total would come down to $181,733.08 and the 30yr loan would now be 17.83yrs! That's almost cut in half.

I realize that everyone can't put extra money toward their mortgage payments EVERY month but if you can do it at least sometimes, it'll REALLY help you out financially. For y'alls next home, you may even want to plan to but a house that y'all can definitely do this with. If y'all can afford $850 a month for a mortgage payment, try to buy a house that will have monthly payments of $750 or $800 so that you can pay extra & save in the long run.

2) When you began to make mortgage payments on the house, try to pay on the loan every two weeks instead of once a month. For example, if your mortgage payment is $800/month then you would pay $400/2weeks for a total of $800 a month. This will also cut tens of thousands of dollars off of your loan over 30yrs.

Just some ideas & congradulations on your house!

nevaehinvesting [/QUOTE]

Nevaehinvesting, I remember 12 years ago on this very site, you gave some good advice on what a couple should do when they get their first home. Had I did what you suggested when I first read it, I could have had my home almost paid off by now, smh & LOL at the same time...I'm such a hard headed person....
Lol thanks. :) I started paying extra in the beginning but that market crash hit my house value HARD! 2007-2010 I was like :sick: looking at my home value drop, so extra payments stopped!

Last edited:

I'm still trying to change my way of thinking. I am definitely a work in progress.

Anyone familiar with this? http://extradigitmovement.com

If so, I would love to know your honest opinions positive or negative?

What about MCA? I know it's a lot of the top people making money and everyone sees people posting their cash/paychecks showing that you actually make money but I want to know who has tried it or know someone that has?

I also see a lot of people on my social media sites using/selling Herbalife so I assume they are legitimate.

What about MCA? I know it's a lot of the top people making money and everyone sees people posting their cash/paychecks showing that you actually make money but I want to know who has tried it or know someone that has?

I also see a lot of people on my social media sites using/selling Herbalife so I assume they are legitimate.

I learned years ago that selling MLM products just isn't my thing. When I was in school, it was all about Equinox. After school, it was about Noni juice. Now it is about Herbalife, Organic Gold, and IGNITE. The products change, but the approach stays the same. I don't knock people who sell MLM products but understand the people who make the real money are the creators of the system. I want to be a creator.

If I did anything it would be herbalife, simply because I am into fitness, some of their products are good and I wouldn't be forcing myself to sell it. One of my personal trainer homeboys sells a bunch of it simply off his instagram gym pictures. MLM is not for me in general though. One thing I don't like is that I feel everyone who I talk to in that world uses the same language. It sounds kind of robotic to me. I am also turned off by the fact that many of the people in that world are always talking about the amount of money they are making, selling that stuff. I have no problem with people talking about finances but Jesus, throwing around actual numbers in casual conversations is unnecessary in my opinion.

I learned years ago that selling MLM products just isn't my thing. When I was in school, it was all about Equinox. After school, it was about Noni juice. Now it is about Herbalife, Organic Gold, and IGNITE. The products change, but the approach stays the same. I don't knock people who sell MLM products but understand the people who make the real money are the creators of the system. I want to be a creator.

I agree with you about MLM in general. It seems like Herbalife and Advocare (health wise) and MCA seems to work and provide legitimate products that people can use. If I were to approach average Joe, I want to be able to show them that I use it myself and it works.

http://www.businessforhome.org/2014/04/top-150-worldwide-earners-in-mlm-april-2014/

Organo Gold? Never heard of this? Who drinks it and is it good as it looks? Then the next question or thought is this. Who buys Amway, Herbalife, and some of these other products? I would assume that I would have to reach out to people who have money to burn (shrugging shoulders)? Honestly I've yet to see anyone with these products in my circle of friends.

I don't know, I'm getting better with self publishing books. I recently made an effort to push my products and to my surprise, I've sold quite a few. I guess the problem with me and MLM, I've yet to find something that I'm passionate about and would be willing to push. As I try to be open minded, I'm just not feeling MLM. God bless does who do and have had success. I guess it ain't for me. On to the next hustle...LOL!

Last edited:
Back