Elaine, Arkansas........Racial Killings Not Noted

Dr. Sweet NUPE

Yesterday I was in my Community Development class and a guest lecturer/Arkansas Historian asked us to define Community then define Development.

Well, being Ph.D. students we thought of many elaborate defintions, issues, concerns, etc......

Well, he said and I qoute, "Community #uckin suck".......he went on to say that African Americans should hate the word community because communities lynched them.

He went on to say that in Elaine, Arkansas some Black Farmers banded together a created an organization to assist them in recieving federal funds back in the the 1920's. Well, and I qoute as he stated it "Crackers got dayum mad" So some white children went on one of the black farmers land and started tearing up farmland, killing horses, pigs, and cows. The black farmer killed one of the young men who was 17. During the 1920's 17 was considered an adult more than it is now. Next thing you know white vigilantes from all over country came to Elaine and I qoute, "Kicked Black peoples ARSE" Killed some 300 African Americans.

He went on to say that this is one of the saddest incidents in American History that is not written about. He said the only reason he found out about it was because his uncle worked for the Black Farmer that killed the young man. A later wrote a dissertation on "The Lifestyle of African American Communities and Their Development" It was amazing how it connected this to community and the development of community.

Just plain interesting.......yet sad......:( :( :(

Back