Drumline

b8sball17

Just finished seeing the movie Drumline. I throughly enjoyed the movie. It was a quality family movie with a decent plot. NO Sex, NO violence, Little Profanity, and it was a simply GREAT.

I do think GSU should have gotten more PT , but that's alright.

I AGREE.....eventhough Morris Brown was the featured band, GSU was the only band I really recognized besides Bethune Cookman.

Originally posted by b8sball17

I do think GSU should have gotten more PT , but that's alright.

They did do a good job. They could have very easily made it a lil dirty with some more action between Devan and Laila, but they kept it clean and i can appreaciate that. That makes the movie appropriate for any audience. ;)

I liked the movie as well. I like Black college bands and it's nice to finally see a movie that embraces black college bands, unlike the major networks (NBC and MBC notwithstanding).

DRUMLINE WAS A GOOD MOVIE. IT WAS ENTERTAINING, HAD A PLOT, IT HAD A RELATIONSHIP, IT HAD DRAMA, CONFLICT AND A CLIMAX. THEY SHOULD HAVE HYPED THE CLASSIC MORE....IT NEEDED MORE BUILD UP.
(I didn't know that Drumline was already out on DVD) ;)

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI
(I didn't know that Drumline was already out on DVD) ;)

Yep. ;) I purchased it for my brother the day after it came out in theaters.

WHAT?!?!?!?

Already on DVD???? :eek: They didn't have much faith in the movie, eh? Guess I'll be buying a copy for me & my brother ;)

I wonder what made Drumline such a hit, even got folks talking about it being a crossover success (I did see white folk in the very CROWDED theatre when I attended this past weekend). Are light-hearted Black films the 'in' thing now? Barbershop was definitely a success, and I guess Friday's cult following got the whole thing started. But what is it about Drumline and how do Black films copy that to crank out more successful films?

Was it the original storyline? Certainly haven't seen a film about an HBCU band before (unless you count the barely-seen Take the Field that I've only seen once and subsequently never heard of again). Was it a blend of drama and comedy that didn't take itself too seriously but also wasn't degrading in it's humor? Was it the excitement and entertainment value of HBCU bands? I don't know, but I sure hope we get more Black hits like this :tup:

EDIT: Um, we're not talking about bootleg DVDs, are we :rolleyes:

Back