Doug Williams gets a new contract

Jag Voice

Congrats to Doug... the UL system finally approved his new contract.. Included is an incentive to win the Bayou Classic

From Shreveport Times

When the Tigers begin spring football practice on April 3, they will work under a coach with the security of a new six-year contract.

GSU coach Doug Williams had a new six-year deal approved last week. Williams will receive a base salary of $150,000. He also has incentives for winning the SWAC, the Bayou Classic, eight or more games or SWAC or Black College national Coach of the Year awards. Williams will also be given a car or car allowance of $500 monthly.

The new contract was approved after some changes in the contract language.

"I'm just glad they got it done," Williams said. "Actually, there's no change in the money, just the language."

Leave it up to the Shreveport Times to finally report on this. This deal had been done about two weeks ago. But good for Doug anyway.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN.THE TIMES AND THE RUSTON LEADER SUCK.THE RUSTON LEADER IS THE WORST PAPER I HAVE EVER READ.THERE ARE TWO MAJOR UNIVERSITIES WITHIN FIVE MINUTES OF EACH OTHER AND THIS PAPER ONLY REPORTS ON TECH.THE ONLY TIME THEY REPORT ON GRAM IS IF SOMETHIN' NEGATIVE HAPPENS.SPORTS PAGE AT BOTH OF THESE PAPER S SUCK.GRAMBLING IS CLOSER TO SHREVEPORT THAN TECH IS BUT TECH CONTINUES TO STAY IN THE SPORTS PAGE.THEY NEED A PAPER IN GRAM.

In defense of the paper :D :D , this article was printed on 3/25. I just saw it today since I don't go to the site often.

GSU fans... What's the deal with Doug getting a bonus for beating SU? Is this a first in the coaching contract world.

I THOUGHT ALL COACHES HAD A RIVAL INCENTIVE IN THIER CONTRACT.HE DOES GET A BONUS IF HE BEATS SU AND IF EH WINS 11 GAMES ,WINS A NATIONAL AWARD OR A PLAYER WINS A NATIONAL AWARD, HE ALSO HAS A CAR ALLOWANCE FOR 500$ A MONTH TOWARD A UNIVERSITY CAR AND HOUSING.I JUST HOPE THAT ALL THESE INCENTIVES BRING MORE WINS AND CHAMPIONSIPS IN THE FUTURE.

Yeah, the contract wasnt for $150K at first, because he had a housing allowance in it that would equal a total of $150K. Sally Clausen, President of the Univ of Louisiana System wouldn't give him the housing allowance, because she would have to do the same for every other school in the UL System. So that was removed and just made the base salary $150. Im glad he got it.

Originally posted by Jag Voice
GSU fans... What's the deal with Doug getting a bonus for beating SU? Is this a first in the coaching contract world.

STC_60, is right, this is not the first time a coach has been given incentives for beating a rival team. See the coaches at Aurburn (if they beat Bama), Alabama (if they beat Auburn), and Ohio State (for beating Michigan). They are usually paid by the alumni.

The incentives in Doug's contract are paid by the GSU national alumni association. He gets $5k for each accomplishment totaling $15k. So he could possibly do $165K in one year.

Back