Dogs will go with Gunn

Blacknbengal

Dogs will go with Gunn

Junior maintains edge in Alabama A&M's final scrimmage

08/22/02

By REGGIE BENSON
Times Sports Staff reggieb@htimes.com

Junior Chris Gunn will be named Alabama A&M's starting quarterback today, barring a change of heart by coach Anthony Jones.

Gunn, who has maintained a slight lead over redshirt freshman Tim Robinson, did little to lose the job during Wednesday's final scrimmage, while Robinson didn't do anything to take it away from him.

''I'm going to look at the film, look at their techniques and numbers and make a decision,'' Jones said. ''Neither one has completely dominated the position. Some days, Chris has played better. Some days, Tim has played better.

''They're really jockeying for position and it's my job to make the right decision as to who can best lead our football team.''

Both Gunn and Robinson engineered a touchdown drive during the goal line portion of the scrimmage and during the full-scale version, but neither put up big numbers.

Gunn, working with the first offense against the second defense, was just 2-for-7 for 22 yards. He did have a couple of Alabama A&M notebook. Page D5. passes dropped, including what would have been a long scoring pass to Travis Martin. He also rushed for 11 yards on three carries.

Robinson, who struggled working with the second offense against the first defense, was 2-for-6 for 53 yards. He was sacked three times and threw an interception. Robinson worked one series with the first offense against the second defense and engineered an eight-play, 65-yard drive capped by Jeremiah Bonds' 5-yard run around left end.

''Both of them got an opportunity to work with the first offense,'' Jones said. ''Tim went out there with the second offense and that line didn't do well for him. He went back out there with the first offense and they gave him some time.

''I'm going to name a starter and he will get most of the reps, but the second guy will get some reps, too, because you never know what might happen,'' Jones said.

The performance of tailback Melvin Gideon was the highlight of the scrimmage. Gideon put some distance between himself and A&M's other backs by rushing for 84 yards on eight carries. He scored on a 1-yard run during the goal line portion of the scrimmage.

''Melvin played well,'' Jones said. ''He ran the ball well and had good vision. The only thing I didn't like was he didn't seal the deal when he got in the open field. That's probably a lack of being in the open field. He probably got in some areas he wasn't familiar with, but hopefully, we'll get him familiar with that.''

Lanier Bush, who is trying to come back from knee surgery, finished with 41 yards on five carries. Bonds had 26 yards on two carries, including the 5-yard TD run, while Rory Palmer had four yards on five attempts. Fullback Tony Wallace also scored on a 1-yard run.

''We're progressing,'' Jones said. ''Our defense is still dominating and that's a good thing, but our offense is catching up. We're getting closer on that side of the ball, but we're still not where we want to be.

''Hopefully we'll be there on Aug. 31.''

Back