Does Prayer Have A Place at Public Events?

Dr. Sweet NUPE

Which works best a moment of silence or open prayer?

I'm leaning more toward the moment of silence because of the many different religions.

I'm with you. Keep in mind that when it was created, freedom of religion was the freedom to follow Christianity as you saw fit. Other religions were not welcomed, not even Judaism.:eek2:

Originally posted by millhouse05
I think that prayer in all is good and should be considered accepted anywhere.

Prayer is good....but what happens when you have many different religous groups besides Christianity?

well if thats the case then i guess silent prayer would best for that situation. well i gues te moment of silence would work then.

I believe what you guys are forgetting is most religions in the US believe in the same one God. The God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob. So, you can pray to invoke the blessings of God without saying "In the Name of Jesus."

So you can Pray to God and not mention Christ. So, I am in favor of open prayer.

But you know if I am doing the open prayer, I am mentioning Christ.

:)

Based on my experience only, and having worked with Christian, Jewish, Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons and Muslims, the only protests that I have seen have come very, very strongly from athiests. However, most are clever enough to make it appear the it's in the best interest and fairness to all religions.

yeah but now i am leaning more twords this silent prayer. my mother us to be a jehovahs witness and i know she would probanbly prefer that better than some one just u know praying for her. in a way silent prayer shows respect to all the relgions and its people. but see a person like m probably would not care cause i can pray with a muslim or a jehovah witness because i know where my HELP COME FROM!

Don't Get Me Wrong

I am a Christian (moreover I believe in a Supreme Being) but I feel that we must respect ALL religions and the only way to do it is to have a moment of silence.

I believe in a moment of silence

I believe that a call for help, a blessing or just to give thanks has a place in every place on GOD's green Earth. We have to RIGHT to participate or not participate. When given a moment of silence you have a right to use it you see fit. If you don't want to "pray" do not pray. We have that right.

I would love for you all to reply to my Editorial on SouthernDigest.com, "In God we trust...." which addresses this topic. Thank you
Redd

Silent prayer

My vote is for silent prayer ....I believe that this will allow people of all religions to pray if they choose to.

I think the Separation of Church and State has been misinterpreted like everything else in the Consitution. The purpose is not to elimnate the church from the State, but the keep the church from controlling the state.

Yes, it does.

I'd vote for open prayer. I don't see nothing wrong with praying at a public event. I don't see how people praying can offend another religion. If it's not your religion,, just pray your own prayer or remain silent or just carry on as usual. Now uuuuuh,,, likewise,,, if some southern baptists are visiting california and go to a game and there's no prayer or a buddist or catholic prayer or whatever the local social norms are,, then sobeit. Regardless,,, I just don't see how any religion praying can offend another religion; it's all giving thanks to the respective "God" and asking for strength/safety, blah, blah, blah,,, soooo,, how can that offend somebody???:confused:

But to answer to question, I'd go with silent moment because people can either pray to thier own God, they can think about the reason for the moment of silence, or they can meditate on something.

I agree with Bartram.

If you don't worship that way, then just don't participate or pray to whomever you pray to. Public prayer is fine; it doesn't stop those who want to pray silently or otherwise and to whoever, and those who don't want to pray, to participate as they desire.

Regards.

I was a huge supporter of prayer in school but have become more supportive of a moment of silence. But this will not be enough for a lot of Southern Baptists.

Prayer Period!

Silent or Verbal!!! Doesn' t matter!

I'm still going to pray....silently, verbally whenever I feel like it!
Is that not my right?
Why be offended...its prayer we're talk'n about.
If you take away the right to pray verbally or @ open events...no one really has rights then, do they?
you've taken away someone's right.:idea:

Back