Does a Male-Dominated Band Make for a Better Band?

As someone that has played in band since middle school and is currently teaching band, give me a male flute or clarinet player over a female. I don't know what it is, but every single male flute or clarinet player that I've taught or played alongside with in band has been a beast. The issue is society has labeled those as feminine instruments, so many masculine males shy away from them to avoid being labeled as gay or feminine.

My band currently is mostly male, and I usually have to deal with more whining and complaining from the males. The females are straight soldiers in my band.

As someone that has played in band since middle school and is currently teaching band, give me a male flute or clarinet player over a female. I don't know what it is, but every single male flute or clarinet player that I've taught or played alongside with in band has been a beast. The issue is society has labeled those as feminine instruments, so many masculine males shy away from them to avoid being labeled as gay or feminine.

My band currently is mostly male, and I usually have to deal with more whining and complaining from the males. The females are straight soldiers in my band.

You do realize roles have been turned upside down in today's society of young males and females. A lot of males are more feminine and a lot of females are more masculine.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
You do realize roles have been turned upside down in today's society of young males and females. A lot of males are more feminine and a lot of females are more masculine.
I am speaking from personal experience. These are things that come straight out of the students' and parents' (yes the parents don't want their male students on those instruments for the same reason) mouths.

Everybody thinks they knew Doc!!! What they don’t know is he hand picked Mr.J and Mr. Haymer to carry his legacy in 2005!!! And actually he was grooming Mr. J before then lol

Everybody thinks they knew Doc!!! What they don’t know is he hand picked Mr.J and Mr. Haymer to carry his legacy in 2005!!! And actually he was grooming Mr. J before then lol

The one who he really wanted to succeed him and I think he would have retired sooner than he did was Roy Johnson. He told many of us that personally. Roy was his ultimate choice. But other things got in the way of that. LOL. All I know if Roy Johnson had ever gotten a hold of the Jukebox. It would have been a lot of consequences and repercussions for other bands. Dude was and is just that talented.

The one who he really wanted to succeed him and I think he would have retired sooner than he did was Roy Johnson. He told many of us that personally. Roy was his ultimate choice. But other things got in the way of that. LOL. All I know if Roy Johnson had ever gotten a hold of the Jukebox. It would have been a lot of consequences and repercussions for other bands. Dude was and is just that talented.

True but we knew Roy wasn’t going to come!

Back