Do you know the history of your parent's public school education?

Panther88

Banned
I ask this question since my mother and father's high schools no longer exist (they are now absorbed seldomly used junior highs into the former PW school districts).

Both attended segregated school systems (of course) 60s prior. They and their classmates now have bi-annual get togethers (almost like class reunions) and I had the opportunity to attend one last fall. It was tremendous and very, very enlightening hearing/seeing all of the history and all they went through and w/out during their growing years. It's almost hard for me to believe that they endured (school wise) as much as they did (even amidst the segregation constant that was abound in southern culture). What a <b>STRONG</b> people existed during that time. Very determined people.

I recall vividly having a 10 year reunion offer from that PW high school that I attended ( massively :rolleyes: ) and for the first time, mother OUTWARDLY displayed animosity and disdain when I told her that I'd probably attend (which I subsequently didn't). There were quite a few subtle hints that she ALWAYS threw @ me w/ regards to my being close w/ kids of the majority or even being somewhat "visible" in the PW school system during my younger schooling years. I never quite understood it until recently. Being able to forgive is one issue. Never forgetting mistreatment by the majority is another.

mother: 1967 Lincoln High School
father: 1962 Booker T Washington High School

I know my mom's

I actually attended the high school that my mom graduated from. The school changed to a junior high school and that's where I was educated from 6th to 8th grade.

Northwestern Middle School in Zachary, LA

Re: I know my mom's

Originally posted by Dtown Jag
I actually attended the high school that my mom graduated from. The school changed to a junior high school and that's where I was educated from 6th to 8th grade.

Northwestern Middle School in Zachary, LA

What? Gurl you're from the kuntry! I bet you make a pair of blue jeans look mmmm, mmmm, good. Got me singing the Campbell's Soup Song!

My mother attend Jones Commerical High School in Chicago. At that time it was an all girls business high school. It was very strick(guess that is how i got here :rolleyes:) they had to were either a dress or shirt and blouse to school with nude stockings and white golves, with there hair pulled back Now it is co-ed and they do what the "l" they want.

My Mother went to J.H. Rowe High School in Jasper TX. We were down there for my Grandfathers funeral in Sept. 01 and it was a trip to see how bad a lot of her classmates are doing. She gave me a rundown on them.
My Father went to I think it was Booker T. Washington High School in Conroe TX. Now I think it is Conroe High School. They have reunions I think every year or two. Its real big, they have a golf tournament and everything. My Father has a lot of connections with his former classmates. He showed me pictures of them and he looked at least 10 yrs. younger than him. Its amazing to hear his stories of going down to Houston and doing dirt with my uncles when he was in high school. A lot of good athletes came from both areas.
By the way they both went to Prairie View...I just couldn't make it. I just had to go to SOUTHERN. They weren't that mad.
My day is done.
:)

My mother attended Ferriday High School in Louisiana, it's still there, still a high school, & still country. :rolleyes:

My parents and I all attended Grambling High School and she is still standing strong on Central Ave!!!

Still standing

My folks graduated from AH Parker High School in Birmingham, AL. At the time, there were only about 2-3 places they could go anyway (separate but equal, yadda yadda yadda). It's still standing, though it's seen better days. That was one of the places that prided itself on academic excellence back in the day. We can't forget these valuable places just cause we have more choices now.

I think my father's elementary school is closed now (can't remember the name). And one of the old high schools for Blacks - Ullman High - has now been replaced by UAB's basketball stadium. That's progress for ya.

Still the same...

My mom and I attended Greenwood High School in Greenwood, MS. It used to be 60% black and 40% white....now I think it's 85 % black, if not higher.

My mother graduated from Yerger High School in Hope, Arkansas. My father graduated from Horace Mann High School in Little Rock. Horace Mann is a junior high now, and I don't think that Yerger is open anymore.

My mother and I attended Booker T. Washington in Atlanta,Ga. "First public black Highschool in the south." Still standing with prestigous alums as MLKI-III, Lenoa Horne and many more. My Dad attended Troop County High in Lagrange ,Ga.

I want to get in.

My mother was from a small country town called Sweet Home, TX. She Grad from Asberry High. I dont know if the school is still there.

My father was from another small country town called Kilgore, Tx. He did not grad from High school. Back then it was rough for Blacks to get educated. But he understood how important it was to get it, so he made sure i got it. He joined the service and was in the Korean War.

Both Mom and Dad are with the Lord now, so i dont have anybody to ask how things were back then. :(

My father attended Eva Gordon AHS in Magnolia, Mississippi. Graduated in 1955. The building has long since been torn. The school eventually became South Pike High School.

My father taught my mother at Henry Weathers High School in Rolling Fork, Mississippi. She graduated in 1965. She grew up in Anguilla, 5 miles north of Rolling Fork, and live across the street from all-white Anguilla High School, but couldn't go there.

And when integration started becoming a reality in Mississippi in 1971, the white folks in Anguilla closed the school, rather than integrate it. It sat closed for over 10 years, until it was reopened in 1982, as Anguilla High School--the Integrated Generation (from Star Trek).....:D And now it's a middle school, and old Henry Weathers is now and elementary school--Rolling Fork Elementary.

Times change.......:(

My mother and father started out in Church Schools. My mother at Mt. Zion CME Church School in Centreville, Mississippi (Amite County) and my father attended Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church School (Wikinson County) also in Centreville. My father has only an 8th grade education and my mother received her GED in 1980.

limefree:
My father (and his sisters and brothers) attended Booker T. Washington High School in Conroe, Texas (ranging from 1959-1964 I think)!!!! Wow!!! Small world!!! :eek: So, did he make the dealio last year @ April Sound on Lake Conroe? Small, small world... Mother was Lincoln/Lawson High School Montgomery, Texas.

docmump:
Sorry to hear that bruh. :(

Vinita:
My mother-in-law attended Horace Mann High school. You're correct, it's a junior high now. There's a LOT of history in that Little Rock area w/ respect to schools. Funny how Central has changed! :eek2: and Hall! :eek2: and Parkview :eek2: LOL

Origionally posted by Panthro

My father (and his sisters and brothers) attended Booker T. Washington High School in Conroe, Texas (ranging from 1959-1964 I think)!!!! Wow!!! Small world!!! So, did he make the dealio last year @ April Sound on Lake Conroe? Small, small world... Mother was Lincoln/Lawson High School Montgomery, Texas.

Thats a trip, my Father was there up until I think 1965. Last year he was there and he spoke at one of the events, I think it was the banquet. Matter of fact, he showed me some pictures from the event. He broke it down to me how the school was k-12 and he only had to walk across the street to get to school and he was late every day! Thats interesting, Conroe is a small town. Small World!!!

Well my MoM attended Jack Yates High School, which is still around, but back then it was in the building that is now Ryan Middle School is in here in Houston, Tx

My dad attended Anahuac Senior High. It is in a new and improved building in Anahuac, Tx.

Interesting fact. My mom graduated high school with Debbie Allen. She's her yearbook and all that and also a local celebrity to Houston Claudette Sims was two year behind my mom.

They graduated in 1967.

My Mother attended the legendary McKinley High School
in Baton Rouge, LA. (Located near LSU). It is still in existence
(.....namely because it has became a PWS).

It is one of only two HBS in the City,
the other is Capital High School, which
my God-Grandfather has been the head
football coach at for many, many years.

My Father attended a small private high school near Montego
Bay, Jamiaca. It no longer exist.

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90

My father taught my mother at Henry Weathers High School in Rolling Fork, Mississippi. She graduated in 1965. She grew up in Anguilla, 5 miles north of Rolling Fork, and live across the street from all-white Anguilla High School, but couldn't go there.

Times change.......:(

What is the age difference in your parents????:confused:

ALWAYS BEEN HISTORICALLY BLACK EDUCATED

My mother went to Bolton High School(majority white) in Alexandria, LA. She is one of only two in her family that has a high school degree. She finished in 1974.

My Da went to historically black PEABODY HIGH SCHOOL in Alexandria, LA. He finished in 1974, too.

In the late seventies/early eighties PEABODY was changed into the first magnet school in the central LA area and that was my foundation for how I became what I am today.

I finished at historically black <font color=green>PEABODY MAGNET HIGH SCHOOL</font color=green> and am now a well-known celebrity there. :D

My brother is currently a sophomore at historically black PEABODY MAGNET HIGH SCHOOL. He'll be drum major 2003-2004 and then on his way to historically black GRAMBLING STATE UNIVERSITY in Fall of 2004. (ok i got carried away) :)

PEABODY is known throughout the state for a little bit of everything. As alumnus, we take how the school is treated very seriously. We have rallied at the school board when we felt Peabody was being mistreated. Now, they spending several millions to build a new school and further enhance the magnet program. It will be unlike any in the state. When my Da graduated there were no white students. I graduated with about 10 whites in my class. Today there are only 2 white students in the school, both of whom have parents working there. So I guess it's safe to say it's historically black and still black, but that strenthens a student's belief in achieving even though they are black.

FLAWDA FAM...

My mother ('71) graduated from Northside High, Havana, FL which is still standing strong and now called Havana Northside. (something like that)

My father ('71) and I graduated from James. S. Rickards High School, Tallahassee, Florida, always standing strong. Only change in the mascot... From the REDSKINS to the RAIDERS last year.

My father moved around a lot when he was a kid. But he mostly grew up in Memphis and went to Booker T. Washington High School in the 10th grade and then went to high school in Milwaukee where he graduated. From what I was told on the Meacfans page, Washington high school is still going strong.

My mother grew up in Griffin, GA. Her two oldest sisters and she finished at Vocational high school. Around 1950 it became Fairmont high school where the rest of her siblings (the nine out of 12 who lived into their teen years) finished there. It became a junior high school and is now a middle school.

They use to have a reunion where all of the classes would attend. Some of their famous grads are Wyonia Tyus, former TSU Tigerbell and '64 Olympian, and Rayfield Wright, who was an offensive tackle for two of the Dallas Cowboy Super Bowl teams. I do not know about the famous alumni of Washington High School in Memphis.

yep, they went to segregated schools which benefited the black kids until they closed them down.

well as far as I know......

my momma graduated from St. Francis Catholic High School in Yazoo City, Miss

my dad graduated from R.B. Hudson High School in Selma, Ala

I know that my dads high school no longer exists. I can remember him saying if you were black and living in Selma during the 50's and 60's that was the school!!! I love to hear the stories about how they used to play some school outta Uniontown and A.H. Parker(bham) in football and how the rivalry was so intense even while there was so much going on down in that area concerning racial tension! Yet still both mom and dad keep in touch with there classmates through class reunions,phone calls and other ways of communication......

on a sidenote I do wanna say hearing some stories from my dad about growing up born and bred in Selma bring tears to my eyes when I think about them. Especially the one of how I probably would have never known my Uncle Percy if he wasnt sick with a cold the day he was suppose to be in the car with Viola Lappizio(sp?) on the way to Montgomery to represent the student council in a march that took place, He was actually the President at the time and had to send his second in line on the trip......many of you may remember hearing of this incident when the KKK drove up on a young white woman and young black man and killed the woman. I do know they have a historic marker on the highway between Selma and Montgomery marking this sad incident in the Civil Rights Movement!

Back